Where can I sell a debt?

Discussion in 'Money Management & Banking' started by scientist, 22nd Oct, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scientist

scientist Well-Known Member

I'm owed money from a car accident years ago - the guy was uninsured. I have judgement against him and he owes me around $8000+ as of now including costs and interest. At this stage I'm happy to get 10-20c on the dollar - wondering if anyone here knows where I can sell a debt?

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

Google "Debt recovery".

3. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Large ASX listed companies like CCP, PNC, CLH, CCV, TGA all have lower teir companies that purchase debt ledgers. Be a starting point.

Not interested in getting a bailiff to seize property/assets?

pinkboy

4. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

You could engage a debt collection agency who will take a percentage of the money collected.

5. datto

datto Well-Known Member

If all else fails try the Jokers. There should be a club house nearby if not in Qld.

Scott No Mates and Phase2 like this.
  6. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I reckon you could make him bankrupt (how much does that cost?)

Elives likes this.
  7. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

I think we need to discourage the current "clown epedemic" rather that encourage it :p

datto and kierank like this.
  8. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Just wondering.
    In cases like this, did you have your own insurance?
    If so, does your insurance co. generally pay for damages and chase up the other guy?

9. scientist

Yeah I guess I might give debt recovery a go - initially I just wanted to get some cents in the dollar and be done with it.

No insurance on my end either, just third party property which doesn't help in this situation

Making him bankrupt doesn't net me any benefit, and costs me a bit of money and alot of labour, it's a process at the federal court level I think

10. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

How long ago? Check out the limitations act in the relevant state, it may be unenforceable after 6 years.

11. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

And I would imagine that the money you get for the debt (if any) would reflect the chances of money being recovered.
    Marg

12. Terry_w

You cannot get blood out of a stone or money out of an impercunious ******* - try to find out if they have any assets. Also it is hard to get money out of someone you cannot find so try to find them first.

13. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

I tend to think that this is the risk you take if deciding not to be comprehensively insured.

Nothing wrong with third party - I've done it myself.

I tend to go third party with cars only once they get down to about $2,500 in value.

I can live with losing that much...

14. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I remember many years ago someone had an accident, had no insurance, they were ordered to pay for damage. The court imposed something minuscule by the way of a payment plan.

The person probably soon realised it would be more pain than what it was worth to persue, they dropped it.

I would probably talk to a debt collector, no one is going to buy the debt, they would buy a lot of debt if it is likely to recover enough to make a profit.

15. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I'm currently pursuing this option. $15k is the estimate to do so- for $60k debt. I've been through debt collection with no success. The person I'm up against though has a very good knowledge of moving his assets to make them difficult to get at. I don't give nyself a very good chance of success. He owes me a whole heap more but that's not up for the court system yet.

Elives likes this.
  16. scientist

Wow geoff that's alot of money to be owed... does the guy not care about broken legs?

Just a tick over 6 years now - but earlier this year I sent a garnishee order out to the big 4 banks and managed to nab $500 off him... that was all he had. I remember reading up on my enforcement window and it was something crazy long like 12 years with extension criteria as well, forgot the details.

17. scientist

Absolutely, that's what I hope to achieve. I just don't have the time filing court forms and attending examination hearings etc - I'd imagine a company has these processes fully streamlined

The car was a bomb - worth maybe 1.5k at the time if sold. I would've taken that as a cash settlement at the time but the guy wanted to run and hide (and did other unsavoury things like swear at my wife and made racist remarks while taking his shirt off etc so I really don't have any sympathy for the guy). So I took the highest justifiable value to court and was awarded the judgement for 4k in 2010. After 6 years of interest at the legislated rate it's now 8k+.

18. Terry_w

Have a look at the limitations act for the relevant state.