Where can I put my driveway? Padbury, WA

Discussion in 'Development' started by benzo, 18th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. benzo

benzo New Member

Hi

I just bought a lot:1 Nevoria Place, Padbury, WA 6025

1 Nevoria Place, Padbury, WA 6025

It is R20 zoned. I am going to build a house on it and just wondering if I can have the driveway going onto Pathfinder Pl? It doesnt look like you could fit the driveway on Nevoria Pl due to being so close on the corner?

- How far back can I build the house?
    - Any other things to consider?

Thanks

2. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I hate to say this but you really should know these answers before you purchase as they can significantly impact the design that you can put on there.

I would say yes that the driveway would have to be on Pathfinder as you aren't allowed a crossover within 6m of a corner and the Nevoria Place has a very small frontage.

However you are probably best still using Nevoria as your street addressing location so have front door face Nevoria as you need a 6m setback for r20 for the primary street and your secondary street (Pathfinder) has a 1.5m setback. If you face your front door to Pathfinder then you need a 6m setback all the way along that side and will have much less space to put your house on.

3. Angad Singh

Angad Singh Well-Known Member

Hi @benzo,

As @Westminster said, you definitely want to be sorting these things out before making a purchasing decision. People can get into a lot of pain because of these types of things. Take it as learning for the next one:)

In any case, in this instance, as in addition to @Westminster's point about the orientation of the front door, you also get an additional dispensation as the lot results from the original subdivision of a corner lot where the existing dwelling faces the opposite street (R-Codes Clause 5.1.2 C2.1.iv). In this instance, you would require a 2.5m setback on the primary street and 1.5m on the secondary street.

Having said that, you still have constraints with the odd shape. I expect the high-level massing will look something like this:

Garage in black: only sensible place to put it, probably want it against the boundary to maximise space.

Outdoor living area in blue: good solar access, privacy and also takes advantage of the odd shape corner, which can be reasonably used for outdoor living, but would create lots of dead space if you try to build near it.

Main Home in Red: Probably need to play a little to find out the best orientation to best connect with outdoor living. You will need to work with a good designer to figure this out.

upload_2019-12-21_9-50-41.png

On a separate note, here is one on an odd-shaped block that we are currently working on with @theperthurbanist. There is a sewer running along one boundary to add to the design constraints. A couple of points about the design:

1) This one is a subdivided lot where the new dwelling faces the original secondary street (same as yours). We were able to reduce the setback to 2.5m (as I mentioned above). The reduced front setback allowed us to have a nicer back yard

2) We are severely limited in terms of how large the house can be (140m2), and given that we are trying to create a 3x2. Accordingly, we have utilised a side entry to minimise the space used in hallways and give that space to bedrooms and living areas. The intent is to create a beautiful entry (almost like a garden entry) through that section of the home.

3) The other thing about this design is that we are aiming for 7-8 Star energy rating simply through solar passive design. The side entry also creates a nice passage for the SW breeze to flow through the property.

3) Initially, we were hoping to avoid strange angles as these lead to higher construction costs due to wastage and the difficulty in finishing (imagine cutting the tiles in that section), however ultimately we simply could not avoid it. You may have to consider something similar.

4) We have used the incorporated the acute-angled corner into the outdoor living area (as I recommended earlier). This way it is still visually part of the back-yard and can still provide reasonable utility for the dwelling.

5) When you're designing this house, be sure to get your designer to include scaled furniture so you can see how the spaces will function.

upload_2019-12-21_10-1-5.png

On a final note, I just wanted to acknowledge that this design was created by a collaboration between Rex and Yishan, two fantastic designers that I have the pleasure of working with. They spent a lot of time considering how best to manage the various constraints, whilst still having a focus on design excellence and sustainability. This was the third version of this plan and I'm very proud of what they've done:D

Best,
    Angad

Attached Files: