Where best to buy apartments in Melbourne for a family of 4 in the eastern suburb with good schools?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by investnow, 16th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. investnow

investnow Well-Known Member

Hi All,
    I'm new to this site.Since house prices are becoming so expensive now especially in the eastern suburbs in Melbourne we are thinking of buying an apartment or townhouse with at least 3 bedrooms ( We have no choice).
    We are looking at area with good primary and secondary schools (in areas like in Bentleigh,Oakliegh,Sandringham,Mckinnon etc...or any suburb in that area

Anyone who can share some good tips and experience would be great.
    We would really appreciate it and thanks in advance

2. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

What's your budget?

Bentleigh great. - make sure you are in the McKinnon school precinct

3. investnow

Thanks for the reply
    up to $700K - $750K
    Can this get anything :(

4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

what about Preston?

5. investnow

Any good school there in Preston?

So apartments in those areas in South east for that figure won't get anything?

6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

7. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

There's quite a few good schools around various parts of the inner and outer east. Those already mentioned are great, but I hear good things about schools in Glen Waverley, Box Hill, Ringwood.

The challenge is that good schools tend to drive up housing prices. In some locations $700k would be enough for 3 bedrooms in an apartment, probably not in the inner suburbs or Glen Waverley though, unless a closet can be called a bedroom.

Right now I've got a client buying a house for $1.7M to get into the right school zone. Fortunately they're not borrowing anywhere near that much, but the figures are still staggering.

I'd start by researching schools, figuring out what's going to be most suitable for your kids and working from there to determine housing/apartment prices. As a general rule, the further from the CBD you travel, you'll be able to find cheaper housing. Even so it's not really cheap housing, it's just less expensive.

8. melbournian

melbournian Well-Known Member

Depends which schools primary or secondary.

For 700-750K apartments you can just about get anything really in those suburbs not OTP but pre-existing stock. For townhouses probably not. I know you can get an apartment in balwyn for that price.

I think bentleigh and mackinnon are the ones with the better schools not really the likes of oakleigh or sandringham, though you could go to Ringwood, box hill etc as suggested. Or if you really wanted to just spend 750K on an old apartment and go to some of the city schools or fringe CBD like university high school, macrobertson (which is top 1 or 2 in the state), Clifton high etc.

EN710 likes this.
  9. PorkBellyLover

PorkBellyLover Active Member

Hi,

I know a lot of people who used this website to compare schools (Disclaimer: I'm not looking at schools, so I can guarantee the accuracy of the information)
    Happiness Where Learning Begins

Maybe narrow down where are the "good" school and look at the median prices just to give you an idea on where to start looking?

10. Shahin_Afarin

Shahin_Afarin Residential and Commercial Broker Business Member

@PorkBellyLover a bit off topic and not sure where you're located but have you tried the pork belly @ China Doll?

11. PorkBellyLover

Not yet. Currently in VIC. Heard about that place from a friend, but haven't tried it yet.

12. Tattler

Tattler Well-Known Member

Yes I would like to know that also ........ I thought all the good non-selective government schools are at the East or South East ....

13. USC

USC Active Member

VCE Public School Ranking - 2015

Look at the above list, look at the zoning for each school and go from there.

The first 3 schools are selective, so don't bother living near them - your kid just needs to be smart enough to get in.

I assume you mean high schools (not primary) and depending on your kids ages, things might change by the time they reach high school age. Ie. Some schools get better, others get worse

bamp likes this.
  14. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

is there any website providing school zone information in one place rather than going through each school website

15. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

how about vermont & wantrina, wantrina south area....I've heard schools are better there as well...

16. PorkBellyLover

Not sure what you meant or after by "school zone information in one place", but the website I mentioned do rank the suburbs as well.

Try Melbourne suburbs with best public primary schools | Better Education - 2015 for public primary school and Melbourne suburbs with best private primary schools | Better Education - 2015 for private primary school

Bear in mind this information is free. Not sure if there's a paid version anywhere else.

17. S0805

S0805 Well-Known Member

what i meant was school zone info in maps. e.g. google maps showing clear allocation of school zone

18. PorkBellyLover

Try Melbourne School Zones for public school.
    Disclaimer: Use this for high level overview only. If you are after a specific property, it's always better to call the school and ask directly if the property is within the school zone.

S0805 likes this.
  19. investnow

Thanks everyone for their replies and information.
    We are close of buying an apartment in Bentleigh. Is this a good idea and is it worth paying over $700 for a 3 bedroom apartment in this area? We have kids 3 and 9 years old
    Will it keep its value?

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

townhouse is better and I know of a perfect property that may suit will be starting build very soon. PM me if interested in info on this