Where are all the dads??

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Sackie, 7th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I wasn't even aware this happens...

Id be ignoring it and going regardless. Can't keep me away from being actively involved.

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Your little one is only months old, you've got a few years before you qualify for those experiences ;)

Sackie likes this.
  3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I look forward to causing havoc with the folks who try to marginalise me over mum :p

KateSydney likes this.
  4. bmc

bmc Well-Known Member

"Women are considerably over-represented in the teaching profession. Recent data shows, among recent Australian university graduates, 97% of pre-primary teachers, 85% of primary teachers and 68% of secondary teachers are female. Similarly, large proportions of women in teaching are also observed"

could there be a correlation here ?

i too have experienced the same.
    My brother also raised his children on his own and would come up against this even though he was the sole carer.

5. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

9 months today. Red dress to celebrate.

00100lPORTRAIT_00100_BURST20191101141011395_COVER.jpg

inertia, ellejay, sharon and 9 others like this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

She's getting boulder (sic).

KateSydney and Sackie like this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Actually it's not that easy for the mum's either. When junior was young, from birth to four, we lived in a suburban street and I was the "only" mother that didn't go out to work and bung their kids in childcare from 6 months.

Tried the local mother's group and hated it - full of incredibly boring suburban housewives. Fortunately I had one retired friend who was a sanity godsend as is very similar to me but 20 years older - I could easily have gone days without seeing another adult other than hubby or the checkout operator.

sharon and dunno like this.
  8. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

Different here in Barcelona .. maybe 25% of dropoff/pickups are by fathers. A lot of grandparents do pickups also. Practically though its the dads usually with the full time jobs, that´s the simple reason why they are not there as much. I´m taking the kids to a birthday party on the weekend, there will be a lot of fathers there.

The pickup at 5pm when school ends here is also a long affair, at least an hour outside the front of the school with kids playing and parents in outdoor cafe/bars, sometimes don´t leave the school until 7pm.

ellejay likes this.
  9. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    You ( and I ) enjoy financial independence. The reality is that for most households though, if Mum is staying at home with bub, Dad needs to put food on the table. I take my wife and 8 month old daughter out and about most days and rarely ever see Dads with kids - except on weekends., or except from the dole office during the week.

EN710, Kassy and Joynz like this.
  10. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Congrats. Beautiful!

Sackie likes this.
  11. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Thanks mate. Brings new meaning to life :)

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I know...it makes sense..I just woulda thought for ever say 10 mums you'll see a dad. Just isn't the case usually.

13. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

dunno why you guys are so surprised by the number of mothers picking their kids up,

its a fact that the women have to give birth,
    and generally women have the lower income,
    generally women are seen as the better housekeeper

why wouldnt they be the ones picking the kids up

New Town, Optimus and wylie like this.
  14. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'm just surprised in general how I rarely see dads playing with their kids during the day. I don't expect to see many I know their working traditional hours..but still...SOME...I expect some... I can take her out 10 times and not see a single dad.

15. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

yeah I agree, although my kids are a bit older, and all the talk of equal opportunity and no gender discrimination this and that, I too was surprised to see virtually no dads around, I was working but stil managed to pick up once a week

16. TSK

TSK Well-Known Member

Probably have something to do with paternity leave of their employer. Few organisations allow it in any meaningful manner and most men put career before family due to fear that going on paternity leave will mean they miss out on opportunities.
    I’ll be going on my second round of it next year and then probably at least one or two more times based on partners desire for 3+ kids.

flexible work works in some industries but not all.

No wonder dads aren't taking shared parental leave – most employers have failed to embrace it

Last edited: 7th Nov, 2019
  17. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You're a brave man for 3+ kids....1 is more than enough for me...

18. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I avoid playgrounds and the like. They reckon it's the place where paternity suits start.

"Ahh gawd, that kid looks a lot like me. Now the mum is staring at me. I'm outta here."

Ben_j and Marg4000 like this.
  19. hdb

hdb Active Member

I've been self-employed and worked mostly from home since my daughter was born (now she's in the last weeks of VCE!) and for most of the time I have done the drop off/pick up/doctor's visits/school activities/sports/etc. I'm lucky enough to have a wife with a professional career and a stable salary who unreservedly supports my priorities. I will say that when we lived in NZ and our kid was in primary, a lot of fathers were involved in their childrens' day to day lives and would be seen at school or with the kids in tow.

Having had a father who was on the road 4-5 days each week and then move interstate after my parents divorced when I was 12, I've been really blessed to be able to there all the time for my daughter. As she finishes high school and heads off overseas for a gap year before uni here or in the US, it has left me a bit adrift, to be honest. Things will be very different from now.

inertia, sharon, euro73 and 2 others like this.
  20. bunkai

bunkai Well-Known Member

Our childcare has a fathers day celebration event @ 8 AM. Mothers day is @ 3 PM ;)