Where and what trees to plant

Discussion in 'Development' started by Tonibell, 12th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

We have a block of 16m x 60m that would probably be a duplex development.

It has 3 large trees that we now have council permission to remove.

A condition of the removal is that we plant 3 news trees capable of growing to a height of at least 10 metres.

We have had this on another block where we planted a Scribbly gum on the front boundary.

Any suggestions on what and where we should plant to maximise development potential?

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Next door?

3. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Had Council not made any particular suggestions?

I suggest considering if the trees will be used on the northern aspect - in which case deciduous trees might be best to mamimise summer shade and winter sun.

4. lixas4

lixas4 Well-Known Member

Hard to say without knowing where your potential development requirements may be. Can you keep the trees and remove/replace as part of a development planning permit instead?
    You say a duplex, but the size of your land may allow more. 960sqm is pretty big.

Id stick to placing any new trees in the front and rear setbacks, as these would be excluded for any new buildings. You can look up what the setback distances are for your property, see planning report Property Reports - Introduction

When choosing the position of the trees at the front, look for services on your nature strip that wont be feasible to relocate/move, like a power pole, and place the tree in line with it. This way it shouldn't be in the way of potential access points for the development.

Tufan Chakir and wylie like this.
  5. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

@Tonibell if it was my development block I think there's a fair chance the new trees may not survive anyway so I don't think it would matter too much.....

6. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

Thanks for the replies.

Seems that close to the rear boundary will make the most sense as it is subject to setbacks anyway.

Will plant them just as we put it on the market so that they don't grow too much before a sale.

7. Tufan Chakir

Tufan Chakir Well-Known Member

Frontage setback...land can never be used