When will the Melbourne property market bottom out?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Boyapete, 23rd Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Boyapete

Boyapete Member

If you read the media reports, Melbourne could still be on a journey to doom and gloom with some economists predicting a further 20-30% decrease.
    Labor tax reforms, over supply of apartments, a slowing construction industry, less Chinese investment, over priced housing, poor market sentiment, excessively low interest rates, banks not lending and record personal debts all seem to be the main arguments for further collapse.
    Our increasing population growth and our somewhat strong economy seems to be the only counter argument to why the property market will bounce back.
    What are your thoughts?

Andy909 likes this.
  2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Are you asking when it will bottom, or whether there is a bottom?

muller23 likes this.
  3. Boyapete

Boyapete Member

I’m asking for people’s predictions on what the Melbourne property market is going to do over the next few years. What’s your thoughts and why?

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

How long did the previous boom last? Halve it and you will be on the upswing.

Andy909 and Boyapete like this.
  5. SLP07

SLP07 Well-Known Member

Well located property in sought after areas long term.... will always do well. Predicting the bottom is like picking tattslotto Numbers, my opinion

gman65, JacM and Boyapete like this.
  6. Eric Wu

Eric Wu Well-Known Member Business Member

the whole Melbourne? or particular pockets?

JacM likes this.
  7. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

My prediction is it will drop for at least another 18 months then it will be flat for at least a couple of years. No need to hurry just spend time getting to know the market and being ready to pounce on any extreme bargains

Boyapete likes this.
  8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Are Melbourne pricing falling?

That would be a first.

9. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Love the Melb market, but sitting back and watching, there is no rush, some areas/suburbs will feel more pain than others. It will also come down to the product, apartments currently getting hammered big time.

Bust cycles last longer than boom cycles. Melb has a lot going for it, namely the highest immigration, but credit squeeze is what is killing property markets at the moment, until we see this ease we probably wont see any rises.

The only way of knowing when the bottom hits is when you start to see stock shrinking, and clearance rates rising.

Boyapete likes this.
  10. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Boyapete likes this.
  11. FXD

FXD Well-Known Member

My thought is when people *stop asking the question if the bottom is in* then there may be a very good
    chance the bottom is behind us :).

My logics are based on:
    1. Those who want out badly enough have probably done so already and no point asking the
    question afterwards
    2. Those who can wait it out won't ask that question
    3. Those who have enough conviction to buy in a falling market regardless at what level in
    relation to a bottom won't care about that question

Cheers,
    FXD

12. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Population growth is probably the only argument here but that's countered by oversupply. Economy strong? Hmm not so sure...

13. Robjj

Robjj Member

To me it looks like a wave of decline heading out from the centre and yet to properly reach the outer suburbs. That’s my reading of it. Possible deadcat bounce post election if/when shorten gets in.

14. mues

mues Well-Known Member

It’s price sensitivity. So when you think it’s a wave heading out - expensive places are just impacted more.

If you want to buy / sell an existing property under 900k in a non new build area there is a market. Over 900k buyers thin out quickly.

Many like my mate who just sold his unit (build in 80’s) in a blue chip area for sub 700k planning to upgrade to a 900k house just got told by the bank 800k was their max with two kids.

This plus almost 0 investors is the biggest impact on current prices.

For those who are wondering. I’m buying this year.

15. FXD

FXD Well-Known Member

I am wondering what may happen if/when all those >=900K stocks get bought out eventually.
    Will the >=800K stocks then get elevated to >= 900K due to demands so on and so forth for
    all other lower K stocks. It's another way of asking how did the recoveries unfold historically?
    Bottom up pushing the market or top down pulling the market?

Cheers,
    FXD

16. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

Post election and some dust settling time.
    Q3-Q4 this year.

17. Triton

Triton Well-Known Member

Di
    Disagree with buyers thinning out over 900k, only houses struggling to sell are ones that were previously overvalued by investor/developer (ones that were knock down or major renovation). Ready to move in houses in good family friendly suburbs are selling even at 1 to 1.3m range

SLP07 likes this.
  18. berten

berten Well-Known Member

Over 1.5m is where it gets really thin, according to melb agents I've chatted with.

My guess, bottom by 2020 stagnate for a few years.

19. mues

mues Well-Known Member

We kinda agree here. There is less buyers at 900k plus so only good places selling. Overpriced ones sit on the market.

Lots of houses advertised between 900k and 1.2mil need a lot of work. They don’t sell you are correct. If there is more buyers I think they would sell more easily

20. mues

mues Well-Known Member

That specific scenario probably won’t take place.

Fundamentally, you are waiting for increased demand to increase prices. Demand is suppressed due to negative sentiment in the market. Banks are limiting funding which means the “means” to buy is also suppressed.

Neither look likely to change in the short term. However, dig through this forum 24 months back and 60% think boom continues no worries. 20% think we just slow. 10% think small decline. Not many felt we would be in the largest decline on record like we are now.

So your crystal ball is as good as mine. One thing I do know is that time in the market is better than timing the market. So if you need a new PPOR it’s a better time to buy now than other other time in the last 4 or so years.

Hence I will. Like during the GFC.

SLP07 likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia