When will the current equities bull run end?

Discussion in 'Sharemarket News & Market Analysis' started by Blueskies, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Blueskies

Blueskies Well-Known Member

IVV

oracle likes this.
  2. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

According to News.com.au this morning (only got round to posting it now) it appears not only has the bull run ended but we’re nearing Great Depression levels:eek::D:

0033C699-A2F4-4FEA-A2FF-E9B202AF3331.jpeg

sharon and Blueskies like this.
  3. Blueskies

Yes, slight exaggeration from the media there!

Have to say I was surprised the fed raised rates again, I thought for sure Powell would blink and back off.

FWIW I do feel slightly validated in some of my earlier comments regarding the value of the US market. Started this thread back in August, it was only two months later in October that the trend turned downwards. Two months after that and the tone is now decidedly bearish.

Now I won't be too smug because the market can do some irrational things and for all I know the S&P500 will blow through 3000 come January!

I still am holding off buying more IVV by the way (but I have an alert set to trigger at $350...) Will probably start adding to holdings at this point but would like to see at least another 10-15% cheaper to get me excited.

Brumbie, Zenith Chaos and Nodrog like this.
  4. Blueskies

Bought a decent parcel of IVV (S&P500) today.
    Annoyed with timing actually, Bpay to broking account on Boxing Day, but funds not clear until today! Then US markets go and have biggest 1day gain since the GFC. Grrrr.. :mad:

Brumbie likes this.
  5. Snowball

Snowball Well-Known Member

Haha gotta love it!

Don’t get too down... if the market goes up 500% over the next 20 years (7-8% p.a) you’ll still have a gain of 495%, so you would’ve missed only 1% of your end return ;)

Brumbie and Blueskies like this.
  6. PandS

PandS Well-Known Member

Dont worry you will have another chance if you want to buy, Low volume dead cat bounce maybe get a few days of rally in Bear market then the sell off will resume.

The move mirror 2008 market collapse, the up, the down, the rally consolidation then the final plunge see if history repeat :)

We haven't seen the plunge but the other 3 moves are mirror of 2008 right now.

Last edited: 28th Dec, 2018
    Blueskies likes this.
  7. Blueskies

I think that odds are you may be right, but I am OK with that. More falls would just be a great opportunity to DCA more on the way down.

I personally find it much more stressful buying in a rising market than a falling one.

Alex Straker likes this.
  8. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

bobbyj likes this.
  9. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

A great graphic from twitter!

Liz Ann Sonders on Twitter

"This is busy, but a good visual we created to show post-WWII history of bull/bear markets (using precise, not rounded, +-20% definition for S&P 500), with recession bars:"

Screen Shot 2019-02-15 at 12.49.59 pm.png