When will Sydney property market going to crash ?

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by Tekoz, 20th Sep, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Zoolander

Zoolander Well-Known Member

There's some spooky news about people realising they're spending on useless things, and retail isn't doing too well. Tiiime for an interest rate cut, or at least keep it as it is until retail spending picks up. That'll be nice

2. Someguy

Someguy Well-Known Member

Funny isn't we have dug such a hole with low interest rates, big debts and subsequent low spending. Only way out is to drop the rates lower

Zoolander likes this.
  3. DowntownBlock

DowntownBlock Well-Known Member

And welcome deflation? Unlikely in a global era of rising rates...

4. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

5. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Sometime this consistently being in the news affects people's pysche in the case of Sydney..this is definitely going to happen. Melbourne has a bit more time but it will come off.

If you bought early you should be ok...but be prepared for houses with say 2-3m whichh were 1-1.5m 7 year ago to come off 20-30%. This is normal...as people would have made lifestyle upgrades.

Also the suburbs which overshot in the West/NorthWest/Southwest to do the same thing.

Its only beginning people....2019 will be very telling for Sydney.

The good news is Brisbane is now in prime position!

6. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

7. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

Do you believe Brisbane property prices will hold up after the Commonwealth Games?

Or is your opinion they are not having and impact so post games will not have an impact anyway.

I don't know much about SEQ market trying to learn.

Is their a difference in wages FROM Sydney to Brisbane?

Cheers

8. sash

sash Well-Known Member

The Comm Games will push the boom further....similar to what happened after Expo 88.......most people will come through Brissie even though games are on the Gold Coast....

9. HGM

HGM Well-Known Member

Can someone edit the title of this thread? It's doing my head in...

chylld, qak, Skilled_Migrant and 2 others like this.
  10. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

The games will have a small positive impact on Brisbane. It will be mostly be the marketing and getting the name out there to a more global audience ( Brisbane has lacked this for years and paid a heavy price for it - Sydney and Melbourne have eaten their lunch because of this for years )... They are trying to change that and the games will help that cause.
    The games are just not a big enough deal for it to significantly make a big Impact.
    The Olympics would be...but not the commonwealth games. Nevertheless, something is better than nothing.
    Regarding your second point about salary differentials..many posts on this already...most like to like jobs is 10-15 % more in Sydney than Brisbane.

11. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

This attitude is what's starting to worry me.

Koshy likes this.
  12. hobartchic

hobartchic Well-Known Member

Yes, but they both affect the level of risk mortgage holders take on, and arguably the price of housing. I do think that the RBA have a part to play in the current market.

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  13. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

Most certainly, although the RBA has many factors to balance, general economy, exchange rate etc. Looking back at RBA policy since gfc (and i do realise this is armchair critique, with the benefit of hindsight) i cant help thinking that leaving rates steady within a more historical band range might have played out better for all.

The RBA as with Apra policy is unfortunately a blunt hammer approach. Where as the banks were in a position to apply some restraint and set internal policy in a far more surgical manner.

WattleIdo and hobartchic like this.
  14. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I remember thinking the same thing at the time ...around 2015, wasn't it? They were already lovely and low. Now the idea of going up again feels like getting out of bed early on a Monday morning.

15. Illusivedreams

Illusivedreams Well-Known Member

16. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

something I'm looking at to spread the risks...

17. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

18. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

that is going to be multi billion dollars

19. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

Yep not complaining here. I'm all for business hubs to be spread across the city. I'm a big advocate for minimising the requirement for commute into the CBD for work. Makes no sense in this day and age.

I work from Norwest business park anyway maybe twice a week now as we have a remote office here.

20. KinG3o0o

KinG3o0o Well-Known Member

unless a country / city is a truly large and global (especially if infrastructure needs to be built to accommodate) , i see too many downside for cities like brisbane to hold international events like commonwealth/Olympic and world cups. learn from canada/south africa, brazil etc. these countries all still paying their debt for hosting an event they shouldn't.
    living standard go up but wages dont. and the spending power of the tourist it brings only last for the game, the infrastructure built to host then goes to waste.
    i am not saying brisbane will be that way because its more than capable to host the commonwealth game, but remember prices will go up but nothing else will change once the games are over. all i am saying is buyers beware

Kangabanga likes this.