When will Australia reopen post COVID-19

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by MTR, 6th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Its frightening the longer Australia is closed for business the higher chance of our country going into a great depression, scary stuff

Is the cure going to be worse than the problem??

tfk257 and New Town like this.
  2. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Many businesses are still open. I'm in the automotive trade and it's business as usual. It's actually very busy.

I would hope we start to see a staggered approach soon moving back to our first stage of distancing. We need to get our kids back at school but there is huge resistance from the teachers unions.

As for international travel, I don't think we'll see that free up until third quarter of this year.

3. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

It's been a bloodbath for so many of our clients in the law firm. Have also had multiple colleagues stand down all their legal staff and just wait for business to return. Not much happening in the private equity/ commercial space at moment

Beano, MTR and Redwing like this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

ScoMo says he's put the economy into "hibernation". I'm more inclined to agree with whoever recently said: "It's in an induced coma."

2FAST4U, Stoffo, Player and 2 others like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

staggered approach makes sense

State by State, dependent on containment etc

Last edited: 6th Apr, 2020
  6. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

It looks like Melb may end up in stage 4 lock down

which means the likes of uber eats closing.

I think this is wrong. This is restaurants last attempt at survival? seriously, logic needs to prevail

7. marmot

marmot Well-Known Member

They are taking a very safety first approach with mimimal human loss.
    It may be September or October till they try and revive the economy, even longer if numbers start to increase again.
    With one state premier saying they expect the peak for the virus to be around August.

2FAST4U likes this.
  8. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

There will be nothing to revive ....... hence is the cure worse than the problem

i am not too good with maths but there will be an expiry date when it comes to how long business can survive with no output, and how much money government can pump into our economy....

9. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

I recently returned from a short overseas trip during which an Asian airline, without warning, cancelled part of the return journey. I re-booked that leg on Qantas who, without warning, cancelled the same return journey. OK it was a turbulent time with countries closing their borders at short notice. Eventually I managed to get back on a UAE airline.

All that as a background to say that the original Asian airline offered a refund of airline credit only - with the rules being that you have to book travel on the same airline by end of May 2020 to somewhere they fly by end of December 2020. I'm not in that mindset to fly again just yet - just fresh out of 14 days' quarantine! (Maybe I need a cruise to relax me?) It seems like the airlines are hoping it all gets back to normal by then...o_O

Tipsta likes this.
  10. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I would have thought automotive industry is struggling. Mind if I ask if you are in sales?

11. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Until ScoMo releases the COVID-19 modelling (apparently some time this week), the only Australian modelling I have seen is that led by Faculty of Engineering academic and Centre for Complex Systems Director, Professor Mikhail Prokopenko.

His research team recently found that, if 90 percent of the population adopted social distancing rules, the spread of COVID-19 in Australia could be controlled by July 2020.

Based on that, I feel that Australia will start to re-open on Monday, 3rd August 2020 at 8:37am approximately :D.

Observer, Codie, Gockie and 2 others like this.
  12. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Just to be clear - the border will likely need to stay closed for the next 6-12 months or more anyway, even if we do a great job containing it in Australia to the point where we can start lifting our local lockdowns, the virus is rampant in other parts of the world and we cannot open our borders any time soon - especially not without an effective vaccine available.

There is going to be ongoing pain for everyone in the tourism industry for a long time yet - plus any other industry which relies on foreign visitors (universities, etc).

tfk257, Observer, Phineas and 10 others like this.
  13. paulF

paulF Well-Known Member

Why not revert what we are currently doing when things get really under control. Isolate the vulnerable and let everyone else gradually go back to work while keeping the borders shut.

14. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Maybe some will relearn the art of home cooking. Reduce obesity and other health issues associated with greasy pizzas.

15. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

Being in advertising, I can tell you the industry is pretty much closed for at least 6 months. My hours have been reduced by 20% but I'm reading to signs and looking to jump ship before it does a titanic.

16. Rose89

Rose89 Well-Known Member

I think this is going to hurt a lot of industries for an extended period. Wide ranging travel will not be seen until maybe a vaccine. Remember we haven’t made this type of vaccine before so this is not going to be quick. It is easy for people who are safe to sit there and worry about the economy. Believe me front line staff are more concerned for their lives and would be happy to see further restrictions. Scenes in other countries showing the impact of this are evidence this is serious. 1st world counties can not deal with this so poorer countries are in for hurt for a long time. Maybe if you think the cure is worse than the problem, go and put yourself in the front line at a hospital. I can assure you avoiding scenes like in Italy, Spain, UK, and the US, IS worth the restrictions!

Tipsta, Pier1, Propin and 5 others like this.
  17. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

The purpose of putting the economy in isolation was to flatten the curve so covid19 doesn't overload the healthcare system. But if we flatten it too much, then the healthcare system doesn't reach its capacity, and Australia is forced into this suspended state for longer.

I suspect what will happen in the next month in some states (e.g. WA, SA, QLD, etc, though probably later for Vic and NSW) is some restrictions will be lifted. Kids go back to school, parts of the economy opening up again, but maintain social distancing. Borders stay shut with mandatory 14 day isolation of anyone entering the country or travelling via the states. This will result in a increase in the case loads, but manageable within the healthcare systems' capacity.

Covid-19 is a virus and we will never be able to get rid of it. The only strategy is to build up herd immunity until a vaccine becomes available.

Casteller, tfk257, markgordon and 4 others like this.
  18. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Parts, yes new car sales are in the toilet.

Barny likes this.
  19. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

I think we are in an extremely fluid situation. Anything's possible. Not counting our chickens before they hatch but new cases in Oz seem to be slowing.

With the barrage of potential treatments and mitigants (I'm not talking about a vaccine), we may see the end of this pandemic in a few months. Northern summer looming as well.

markgordon, Codie and MTR like this.
  20. Tony3008

Tony3008 Well-Known Member

Given that flour is one of the things that quickly disappeared from my supermarket shelves, it looks like lots already have.