When will Australia reopen post COVID-19

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by MTR, 6th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

What does a spike look like? We had a few days at 400+, is that what you are betting on?

There was an betting agency in the USA that opened a market for the number of cases as of 31/3. Paying $3 for 25,000+ infections. Got pulled though. Pretty sure it was closer to 200,000 infections by then.

2. Gill Bates

Gill Bates Well-Known Member

When will Australia reopen - When there is a vaccine - so may be at least 12 - 18 months
    Maybe much sooner if we get good a social distancing and travel bans stay
    Social distancing and travel bans stay until a vaccine is developed

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I don't think the economy will last that long but it all depends on what people mean by re-open.

Until the vaccine is developed people at risk will probably have to be in lockdown unless we can get the infections down very very low. Even after the vaccine there is no guarantee that people will agree to be vaccinated but I would like to think that everyone who is high risk will agree and those that can will so we can use herd immunity to protect those that can't be immunised (babies, immunocompromised etc)

I think we'll see some restrictions lifted in May - I'm thinking exercise related like gyms, some sport things

I think schools will be from home for all of term 2 with maybe year 11 and 12 allowed back earlier to try and keep them on track.

From a Perth/WA point of view I don't see the regional travel within WA or interstate being relaxed for quite awhile - maybe July or longer depending on numbers.

mrdobalina, Bunbury, HUGH72 and 2 others like this.
  4. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Agree with you

5. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Perth airport is currently making Tullamarine, Sydney and Brisbane airports look like Regional backwaters. I was really surprised at the number of movements. Plenty of FIFO travel still happening in WA.

I think WA being more isolated might get back to a lower level of restrictions much quicker than Sydney for instance.

Observer and mrdobalina like this.
  6. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Well, if its any consolation, swine flu petered out before we developed a vaccine if I'm not mistaken. And it was highly transmissible.

MTR likes this.
  7. Westminster

Yes even at the moment we are on lockdown level 2 and I think some states are on level 3. Though there doesn't appear to be too much different between our 2 and your 3.

Yup the numbers will do the talking. If Perth can keep getting it's numbers down (and it's looking like it can) it has a good chance of re-opening certain things but still not allow anyone into the state that isn't for essential reasons.

I live under one of the flight paths and all I see at the moment is the FIFO flights and the occasional overseas flight bringing people back in.

8. Westminster

It didn't have as long an infection period with no symptoms though. That is why Covid19 has caused so much chaos because it is spread before people knew they were sick. That 2 weeks before symptons start is the reason this is so dangerous.

With swine flu people were infectious for one day before symptoms started so they had a lot less contact with other people

9. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Either way, I'm a glass half full kind of guy and I think the developed world will quash this virus in a few months. Not sure about Africa, Indonesia etc though.

Read this..its fascinating. Early 30s male in NYC with no health issues struck down with C19.

Was on the cusp of dying in ICU with virtually nil of chance of pulling through but a last ditch effort using a cocktail of experimental drugs brought him back from the brink.

How New Jersey’s First Coronavirus Patient Survived

Observer, mrdobalina, Anne11 and 2 others like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Me too

11. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Are you sure that the Lady was not confused with some recent Tinder messaging that she had received, and then got a redback out of you for the privilege?

And 30 June would probably exclude a lot of finance and accountancy enthusiasts...

12. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Re first sentence it'd be nice but the chief science officer of CSL is thinking at least 12 months for vaccine. Not alone with deputy chief medical officer having a similar view. They wouldn't be saying that in isolation as their info sources would include O/S research.

Fingers crossed though.

13. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So is this a second for 1 May:D...... if so I am on a roll..... I got PM and at least 2 others endorsing 1 May

bully for us

14. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

ANU announced today that it will taking applications of year 12 students based on their year 11 results for early offer rounds ... maybe they're trying to get ahead of the rush to entice students, now that they've lost their overseas payers, or maybe their head - Dr Kerryn Phelps, ex AMA chief - knows a bit more than the average player and considers schooling this year a write off

15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

thinking the same

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

mrdobalina likes this.
  17. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Toon and MTR like this.
  18. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

World leaders to Mr C19: When can we open again?

Mr C19: When I say so.

wilso8948 and mrdobalina like this.
  19. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

I am so grateful we probably wont see lock down stage 4. There was talk This was going to happen in Melb..... uber eats fights another day:)

Good for us

20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

In the real world don't see this happening ....would be political suicide

may be different in China though

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.