When will Australia reopen post COVID-19

Discussion in 'COVID-19' started by MTR, 6th Apr, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. mrdobalina

mrdobalina Well-Known Member

Running Warehouse Australia is great. Plus they have a 30 days no questions asked return policy, even if you've worn the shoes to the ground during that time.

Lizzie likes this.
  2. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

No it doesnt. They dont print money. It is much easier and simpler than that .They do it with two strokes of a computer key. The reserve bank is just adding two zero's to the balance of the governments bank account.

MTR and mrdobalina like this.
  3. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

shorty, Travelbug, Bunbury and 4 others like this.
  5. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

6. bashworth

bashworth Well-Known Member

shorty, Travelbug, Bunbury and 3 others like this.
  7. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

That's what I would like to see, along with Year 11/12 students going back ASAP.

8. timetoact

timetoact Well-Known Member

I hadn't seen that about Singapore, thanks for posting.

This is my point in the sharemarket thread. It's all good and well to re-open when the curve has flattened sufficiently. But then what happens when new cases spike again? Back to lockdown to avoid hospital capacity issues. Some more people die. Many more get immune. Round and round we go until heard immunity is high enough or a vaccine is produced.

I see this as less of a problem in Australia.
    This process is the US and Europe however is going to be long and painful...

kierank likes this.
  9. kierank

Apparently, Victoria has decided that Term 2 (14th April to 26th June) will be remote learning (children schooled at home).

If all goes well, may be we will children back at schools for Term 3, commenting 13th July.

IMHO, this is a common sense and practical approach.

berten, Bunbury and Lizzie like this.
  10. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

i dont expect everything to go back to post corona, depends on the business and how much risk???
    Hopefully the plan will be staged and logical

11. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

If they can extensively test with an effective antibody test (many on the market atm are not 100% accurate) - and somehow "release" those who are immune without causing a riot for those that have to stay at home - and prevent those who may try to deliberately catch the virus to become immune (assuming they don't die) ...

... otherwise we stay in isolation stage 3 until the virus is wiped off this island of ours and we don't open the borders until there is a vaccine

kierank likes this.
  12. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

So you want the country closed till we have a vaccine in 18 months?

13. kierank

I don’t believe anyone wants it but it may be the intelligent thing to do.

As we have seen, this country has too many idiots and bogans who only think of themselves.

At least they aren’t in power like in America and Britain :eek:.

I am on the wrong side of 60 and I am not ready to leave this planet just because some selfish bogan/idiot does the wrong thing by their country.

At the individual level, this lockdown isn’t that hard. Geez, the wife and I followed a similar regime for 10 months in 2016/17 when she had breast cancer. Even though we religiously followed the best hygiene practices we were given, we still had three trips to the Emergency Department in 3 months.

TBH, that experience was great training for us and makes the current lockdown seem like a holiday. I believe we have just gotta suck it up.

I understand it is harder for businesses. I was a business owner during the bird flu and the swine flu. No government help back then but our business had sufficient cash buffers to pay all the bills (wages, rent, etc) for 6 months with NIL income. I don’t know how many businesses have that sort of cash reserves today (TBH, they should have).

14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

I asked this question too a Astrologer the other day that was parked in a park with a sign outside the van 'I can tell your future' for a small fee..
    So i ask the question and there were 2 dates one was the 30 June and the other one 12 November ..When i asked the Lady how this is worked out i was told in 2020 ,Jupiter and Pluto will join in Capricorn on those dates and the last time that happened with a conjunctions with Jupiter-Pluto in Capricorn was 1771 and during this period it was suggested such unusual patterns spell opportunity and change..
    All of it went straight over my head ,paid 20 bucks and walked away..

mrdobalina and MTR like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

No idea what the impact of swine or bird flu was, but I dont expect that Oz went into complete lockdown??

Its not only lifes that matter.... impact on business and economy matters, why I think government has to manage a staged process, whatever that is

the reality is no one knows exactly what will 100% work other than a vaccination. Globally we are all treading on water

16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Like this

One thing for certain the longer we shut down business the higher chance of a depression

Last edited by a moderator: 8th Apr, 2020
    willair likes this.
  17. kierank

Totally agree but it won’t start on 1st May.

The Government will want to wait to see if there are any spikes in infections following Easter and the school holidays as a minimum.

MTR likes this.
  18. Casteller

Casteller Well-Known Member

What also works is if a large proportion of the community have already been infected, so paradoxically places that have been hit harder will be able to open up earlier with less risk.

MTR likes this.
  19. kierank

I am not so sure.

Last I heard scientists weren’t sure whether inflection gave one 100% immunity.

It would be terrible if infected people who have recovered got COVID-19 again and the second infection was worse as one’s body has been weakened, especially if they died.

I believe the world has to be very, very cautious.

shorty and Bunbury like this.
  20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

No ... a slow and cautious unlocking ... what I don't want to see is the double whammy of flu and covid at the same time ... I don't want to see a post relaxing spike where we end up in worse situation which had happened overseas where they moved to soon.

I have no issue with Australia, within itself, being unlocked if we can eradicate it within our borders, before opening to the outside world. Suspect that's what NZ is aiming for too

Observer and MTR like this.