When was your first purchase?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by joel, 27th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Time heals all wounds ;)

As long as you're learning, that's all that matters. Seems like you are as #2 has done bloody well.

I made a $50k mistake on my first one (fixed a loan for 15 years at a ridiculous rate and copped a massive break fee when I realised what I'd done).

2. Tonibell

Tonibell Well-Known Member

First IP was in 2005 when we stepped in to help out a family member (the property had been in the wider family for around 30 years)- so very much the unwilling investors.

Prior to that had been all PPOR and shares - in hindsight it was affordable.

It was in Padstow, NSW and cost $410K but needed a further 15% of reno / repairs.

It was highly negatively geared for the next 7 years and not a great experience.

The plan was always to buy the elderly neighbour's place (each block 1,100 m2). When it finally came up for sale we tried to "buy well" and missed out when it sold at the first open house.

All up a bad experience - until 2012. Since then it has been all good - except for the remorse about the neighbouring property.

3. liverpool77

liverpool77 Active Member

Bought interstate for my first one due to being new worker with little deposit (salary say $50k-ish).... Bought in Brisbane (4-4-2 in newish estate) in 2008 so little growth until now although expecting that to change now-ish. Cash flow wise this investment has been ok, however location certainly could have done better!!

4. Tom Howes

Tom Howes Active Member

My first was a two bedroom unit at Eastwood nsw a stone throw from the station paid $289k 2007. Worth a bit more at the moment.
    I will never sell this one. I bought it myself with the guidance of my father who passed away four years ago. It holds a special place in my investment journey and my heart.

Price Accounting provide tax services and advice to developers on issues incl GST, Tax + Structure. Our free developer toolkit covers many of the key elements and is critical to a new development tax plan. Email for your copy and our new client pack.