When to say goodbye to your pet?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by sharon, 7th Dec, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I was wondering if anyone has experienced this with a pet. I think my dogs time is up - 14. She has been hiding in obscure places in past week. Beside toilet, under long dresses in WIR in garden under plants. I feel like she just wants to disappear. I think she's ready to go, never done these things before. I'm wondering how much she is suffering and if I should take her to the vet to relieve suffering.

2. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

What had happened with your dog Sharon?

3. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

I think you're right Propin. This is what I've seen in the past of the last few days. She's just trying to get where no-one will touch her because she's feeling extremely sensitive and fragile. She doesn't want to have to defend herself right now.
    You need to decide for yourself whether you want to euthanaise or not. It isn't always necessary and letting your dog go through her own process is a definite option.
    However, I would call the vet and discuss. At least if the vet says yes, she's on her way, you can make a clear decision from there. Might be something else?
    Be brave, feel it all.

Last edited: 2nd Feb, 2018
    Propin likes this.
  4. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Its different everytime.
    My Beagle just started pacing the same route 24/7. He became oblivious to anything else.
    It would be pouring rain in Melbournes Winter during the night & he would be walking his now predetermined path nonstop around the backyard.
    I would go out & pick him up, towel him off & dry his coat with the hair dryer then cuddle him/basically hold him down in his bed until he fell asleep (which due to exhaustion took only minutes after non stop pacing).
    Within an hour or so I'd awake as I heard the dog door open again & the pacing would continue. I'd get up towel him / dry him off / hold him down until asleep again, then I'd awake to the dog door clanging again....rinse & repeat.
    He lost so much weight in such a very short time. It was heartbreaking.
    No one wants to make the decision to put a very much loved pet down.
    But only you will know when its the right decison too.
    Its a sh$t situation.
    Best wishes to you.

Propin likes this.
  5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Our little poodle did this too, especially in the garden among plants.

Propin likes this.
  6. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Just to update this thread. I ended up putting Jazz on insulin for her diabetes (started in Dec). I also got the blood test that determined she definitely had Cushings Disease (last week). And Jazz was booked in for some dental work on Monday (this week - the Monday just gone).

But last Saturday morning Jazz was having trouble breathing and couldn't stand on her back legs. I booked an appointment that day to go see the vet. Jazz died in the vets arms less then 3mins into our appointment. I didn't realise she was so close - I thought with the treatment for diabetes and Cushings etc she might live another year? I was wrong.

:(

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

You certainly did everything in your power, @sharon. Not having to make the big decision is in a way a weight off your shoulders. I hope you've got family and /or friends to who understand how you feel right now. Plenty of us here know how sad it is when they go.
    All the best.

sharon likes this.
  8. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

So sorry to hear @sharon it's so heartbreaking when they go. Sounds like she had a great life with you though, and for what little consolation it is, at least the agonizing over what to do is over with. You can just get on and grieve for her now. x

sharon likes this.
  9. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

sharon likes this.
  10. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I'm sorry you've had this happen. Even knowing it was coming doesn't make it any easier.

Sending hugs your way...

sharon likes this.
  11. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Best to you @sharon
    I know its a sad time at present, but you no doubt have many fabulous years of memories with Her that you will reflect on in the years ahead.

sharon likes this.
  12. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Thank you everyone - I appreciate your kind words and thoughts.

13. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Very sad news.):

sharon likes this.
  14. hwbesqu

hwbesqu Active Member

We lost 2 cats last year - Truffles was 14 ,and Tabitha 6 months. Truffles had terminal inner ear cancer-one operation removed the tumour and she became deaf. She was still happy in herself, but the discharge and smell from the ear was horrendous. The vet advised to remove the whole ear canal-no guarantees on the result. I just couldn't do it to her. I had her put to sleep when she was still relatively 'well' as I couldn't let her suffer. She had given me 14 years of love and joy and it was my turn to do the best I could for her. Tabitha came to us 3 months after Truffles passed. She was a beautiful girl with the best nature. Only 500 grams when we collected her from the breeder at 12 weeks, but had been vet checked and was pronounced healthy. She adopted my son as her human brother and they were inseparable. She had multiple health issues from week 2 - we spent over $3000 trying to prolong her life, and make her healthy, but is wasn't to be. I had her put down at 6 months as neither she or I could cope any more. I can understand why people try to prolong their pets lives but I simply couldn't allow them to suffer in any way. They give us so much, and as their custodians and friends we have a duty to do what is right for them not for us.

Propagate and sharon like this.
  15. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear Sharon. It sounds like your dog went peacefully and made the decision for you. Love and peace at this difficult time. x

sharon likes this.
  16. tilt10

tilt10 Well-Known Member

Cruel to keep an animal alive that is suffering. I put mine down.

sharon likes this.
  17. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

There's hope.

How Leo's doggy dementia reversal gives hope for a cure in humans

18. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

well we are facing that dilemma right now

our dog is 19, blind, deaf, can barely walk, cries a lot especially when we leave her a lone for too long,

apetite is fine, sleeps a lot, can go to the toilet when she lets us know, but sometimes cant

other than the crying due to being feeling neglected or insecure or uneasy,
    she seems not in pain,

we have to make a decision soon

19. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Heartbreaking scenario. Your Pup isn't necessarily in pain or terminally Ill.... but quality of life suffering in other ways.

I can honestly say I haven't the slightest clue what I would do in that situation. Scares me to even think of it.

Codie likes this.
  20. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear @TMNT - it's such a hard decision.

TMNT likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia