When to include CIP in portfolio?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Jmillar, 7th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jmillar

Jmillar Well-Known Member

Hi all,

Currently 27yo with 11 IPs. Most recent deals have been buying cheap stock in Logan, significant reno to add value and hold. Have also done a couple subdivisions in QLD. At the moment still trying to build equity within the portfolio. I'm on a high income but I'm close to serviceability limits so I'm looking at doing some buy, develop and flip projects next.

I'm wondering when I should be looking at buying some CIPs. Currently my portfolio is slightly positively geared by about $15k pa (although this is probably soaked up by repairs and vacancies!)

For those who have portfolios over $3m worth, when did you add your first CIP? Why?

Has anyone done analysis on CIPs recently where they can share a spreadsheet showing financials over a 10 year period? Would probably benefit a lot of members to see one based on realistic assumptions (ie buying a property with 3-5yr lease at 65% LVR, needing to reduce to 40-50% by end of lease, 3.25-3.5% increases, 3-6 months vacancy, leasing fee plus some incentive and capital works upon lease expiry).

Thanks!