When to have all insurances in place during settlement period?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by P j T, 13th Feb, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. P j T

P j T Well-Known Member

To all,
    We in the middle of settlement on our first IP. at what stage of the settlement process do we need to have our insurances inplace as landlords?
    On the day of settlement when contracts exchanged or sooner?
    Cheers

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I assume you are talking about building insurance (but you did post "insurances").

Depends what your contract says as to who is liable for the property prior to settlement.

Any contract I sign says it is the vendor; yours could say it is the purchaser.

Read your contract.

Are you talking life insurance? landlord indurance?

Perthguy likes this.
  3. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

Is there a clause requiring the the vendor hold AND maintain adequate replacement cover until settlement is completed? My solicitor always adds this and it requires the vendor to provide a copy of the certificate at the time of exchange.

Strata ? Did you do a strata search AND determine it was adequate cover. Many strata policies dont adequately cover replacement of the building.
    LL : From the time you engage a agent to obtain a tenant

Perthguy likes this.
  4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Which state are you buying in? Different states, different rules.

5. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I have been told in Western Australia that it is the buyers responsibility to insure the building prior to settlement. However, I have approached a number of insurance companies and they won't insure prior to the settlement date. This is an issue. If settlement is at lunch time, insurance does not commence until 4 pm. So there is a 4 hour window where, for example, if the house burned down I would not have insurance. Bit of a worry really.

kierank likes this.