When to engage services of a Conveyancer - confused newbie

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Desperado, 18th Aug, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Hi guys ,
    I have read through threads on this matter on the old SS forums but still don't quite understand.

So I understand the process to be
    -find property, make offer through a general email / letter that I draft myself. At this stage I am to believe nothing is legally binding, so offer would say price , subject to finance , subject to b&p

-if offer gets accepted it is NOW I take the contract to a conveyancer to look through for me ? Then conveyancer will look through everything and I sign the contract , now it is legally binding ?

Thank you so much for your reply, I'm very nervous about making my first offers , I don't want to sign something that I shouldn't.

2. Peter_Tersteeg

Peter_Tersteeg Mortgage Broker Business Member

If you haven't already spoken to a conveyancer or solicitor, you need to do this as soon as you sign a contract, but preferably before signing.

In VIC, you'd get the section 32 checked by a conveyancer before buying at an auction, or in the 3 day cooling off period if the purchase is via private sale. I think QLD is similar.

In NSW you'd do it prior to an auction or during the exchange period if by private sale.

househuntn likes this.
  3. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

What state are you in Desperado ?

4. Desperado

Desperado Active Member

Awesome thanks guys,
    I am looking to buy in Brisbane atm

5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

You should seek elgal advice before entering a contract.

6. Colin Rice

Colin Rice Mortgage Broker Business Member

Yep better to get an eagle eye to look aver the contract before you sign. I recommend this to all my clients as a use a settlement agent that is also a lawyer. Not a common combo in WA.

Be aware that this could mean your offer goes to the bottom of the pile in a hot market as REAs can get a bit antsy as hardly anyone actually does it.

Terry_w likes this.
  7. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Put in a clause that your offer is subject to your solicitor's review to your satisfaction within 5 business days of contract signing. I have already posted the wording I use in another thread.

I have never signed a contract without this clause. I have never terminated a contract because of this clause.

It is a SANF.

Agent30yrs. likes this.
  8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

If the offer is subject to finance, B&P etc - then I'd (personally) have a solicitor look at it after offer has been accepted. You generally negotiate a two-three week period to arrange finance which offers enough time to have solicitor look over everything.

Cheers

Jamie

Desperado likes this.
  9. Agent30yrs.

Agent30yrs. Well-Known Member

As @kierank says a subject to solicitors approval clause is sound - also means if there is some urgency you can commit to a contract quickly if need be and you have a simply get out option .

happy to supply a clause if you need one, or google

Desperado and kierank like this.
  10. JacM

JacM VIC Buyer's Agent - Melbourne, Geelong, Ballarat Business Member

The most stress-free way to do it is to choose a conveyancer first (before you even start looking around for a property), so that the moment you have an interest in a property and want them to look over the contract, you know exactly who to contact and do not waste any time.