When there is no price on the listing?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Squeakywheel, 1st Dec, 2020.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Squeakywheel

Squeakywheel Well-Known Member

I've been looking at properties online and have noticed some of the one that suit my requirements have no price listed, When they say price negotiable, open to offers etc, how do you get an idea of what the seller is looking for?

2. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

The old fashioned way, pick up the phone and call the agent?

3. Squeakywheel

Squeakywheel Well-Known Member

I've done that and haven't really got an answer they want me to put a figure forward. I have an amount I want to spend and not sure how much to disclose to the agent.

Lindsay_W likes this.
  4. Lindsay_W

Lindsay_W Well-Known Member

If you have any idea of what you think its worth maybe start with a lower amount and move upwards?
    Rp data estimated value, recent sales in the area may assist with a price range

5. K1200

K1200 Active Member

We went through this recently with a property advertised as "offers invited".

We told the REA that we were interested in the property and asked if the owners had a professional valuation. They didn't, so we told him we would get one and would base our offer on that figure.
    We showed the REA the valuation report and the owners accepted our offer.

Pingu1988 and Propin like this.
  6. Dan Wood

Dan Wood Well-Known Member

Did you end up paying the median price in the area or less?

Do you feel that the valuation was worth it vs researching yourself?

Do you feel like because you got a valuation you couldn't particularly haggle lower than the price indicated by the valuer?

Do you at all, feel like you could've gotten it for less?

7. K1200

K1200 Active Member

It was a reasonably unique property so it was difficult to value based on direct comparisons. We had a price in mind, but thought we would struggle to convince the owner to accept an offer that was quite likely to be substantially less than what they thought it was worth. The valuation gave our offer credibility and a sense of fairness - and of course was linked to what the bank would lend us.

Truth be told we would have paid more if the valuation came back higher.

8. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

NORMALLY, what it implies is that the vendor has top dollar expectations

Squeakywheel likes this.
  9. Propin

Propin Well-Known Member

I would probably tell agent $10,000 less than what your top dollar is . If it’s way under the value of it he won’t be too interested. Best to find a similar property though to base your offer on.

Squeakywheel likes this.
  10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

Sort the suburb listing by price and see where it sits in the list. Agents have to enter a price into the online portals regardless of the displayed text

11. MRO

MRO Well-Known Member

Right click, select 'view page source'.
    Control F, type 'price'. This will bring up any text in the page coding that has price and generally somewhere amongst the code will be a price range or a price the agent has had to enter as part of the web listing.

12. MyPropertyPro

MyPropertyPro REBAA Buyer's Agents Sutherland Shire & Surrounds Business Member

I've tried this in the past but generally it only populates with the footer price information for any other properties that they list on that agency. I can never get it to source the actual listing price for the reference source code.

For example for this one - https://www.realestate.com.au/property-house-nsw-heathcote-135036410

I can only get it to display the 5 Hayden place address advertised down the bottom for $870k-$920k. Are you able to get any results?

- Andrew

13. FredBear

FredBear Well-Known Member

Try domain.com.au. Do a search on Heathcote 2233, and then add a price range. You can then tweak the URL, reducing the price range until you get the exact price and still show the property you are interested in.
    For this property the price is $1,150,000.
    The URL is:
    3 Real Estate Properties for Sale in Heathcote, NSW, 2233 | Domain