When is council contribution paid? Which statuatory fees apply? Subdivsion lessons learnt?

Discussion in 'Development' started by scook32, 15th Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. scook32

scook32 Member

Hi all,

I would like to venture into my first subdivision project this year and would like clarification on a few things. The subdivision will be in Brisbane City Council territory. I would like clarification on:

- When are council contributions paid? With DA, after DA, before construction, after construction or...?
    - Which statutory fees apply to a subdivision project in Brisbane?
    - Any other hidden fees to look out for or lessons learnt in your own subdivision projects?

Cheers,

2. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

BCC has an information sheet on their website to assist newbies. They also have planners on their telephone service who are happy to answer any questions, especially if you have a property of interest.

Lessons learned? Have a large contingency. It will take longer than you expect, so you'll be paying interest on the property for longer than you've budgeted for. Neighbours could cause grief i.e. Insist on new fencing, complaints about anything to stop or slow down works. Service providers who may have too much work on could also slow things down for you.

3. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Avoid neighbour complaints during any activity by understanding and adhering to regulations regarding noise, hours of operation and blocking access.

The reasoning that your project is running behind time is NOT an excuse to cut corners.
    Marg

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Talk to the neighbours, if the DA says provide new fencing (& it is reasonably new) offer them cash in lieu if council isn't going to insist on fence replacement.

Causing excess noise (or working outside of hours of the DA) will cause stop works, loss of subbies/continuity and slow progress - neighbours want to put up with the noise or inconvenience for the shortest time possible.

5. LJW

LJW Well-Known Member

1) Contributions ($28k per additional lot) are paid after DA but before plan sealing (before new titles are issued);
    2) BCC: $3300 for the DA. $2515 for compliance assessment/plan sealing
    QUU also has fees/charges, but these vary depending on: location of sewer/water, whether these works are standard connections or minor works.
    3) Yes
    Tips:
    - Avoid sites that slope away from the street (and there is no stormwater infrastructure going through the block) unless you want to fill the site or negotiate with adjoining neighbours;
    - Avoid sites that flood;
    - Make sure lots can be serviced (sewer/water/stormwater/electricity), preferably without requiring consent from neighbours;
    - Make sure you engage a town planner who knows what they are doing (and understands the implications of conditions placed on your DA). Council will often include conditions on your subdivision approval which will be very expensive/impractical to implement. It is important to pick these up early and address as part of the DA, to avoid costly issues later.
    Hidden costs:
    The vast majority of the "hidden" costs can actually be identified before you start the subdivision project, provided you (or your TP) knows what to look for. i.e. Do you need to remove any street trees to provide access to the new lots? Are there any power poles/street calming/Council signs/water meters etc required to be removed/relocated to provide access to the lots? Where is the sewer/water infrastructure? i.e. if there is a sewer manhole on your property, you will need to establish an easement over this (in favour of QUU) Does your site slope away from the street? Will you need to fill the site? Is the site on a major road? Will you need to dedicate some land to Council to create a wider road verge (minimum 3.75m road verge required now in many places in Brisbane)? Will you need to provide a new/wider footpath along the frontage of the site? Is the site currently provided with underground power? If so, this may require upgrade? Are the lots located a sufficient distance from the nearest fire hydrant? If not, you may need to provide a hydrant booster.
    All of the above are likely to result in additional costs and will probably impact on timeframes. However, they should all be able to be identified as part of your due diligence.

Cheers
    Liam

RetireRich101 and Mustafa Salehi like this.
  6. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

Great post by LJW.

Another one often missed is driveway location - is it too close to bus stop, is there a power pole in the way.

MTR likes this.
  7. scook32

scook32 Member

Thanks guys, I have covered most if not all of the lessons learnt but it has still been a good refresher.

LJW, aren't the infrastructure charges $14k ? - according to the documents on this link: Infrastructure charges | Brisbane City Council

$14k is a bit cheap, so I'm unsure about this.

Plus the QUU charges

8. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

$14k BCC and $14k QUU