When is CGT payable?

Discussion in 'Accounting & Tax' started by Brendon, 13th Aug, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

If I was to sell a property on July 1 would I be correct in saying I wouldn't have to actually pay the CGT until the completion of the financial year, so essentially 12 months later? (Even later by the time I actually lodged my tax return)

Meaning I could have that extra money sitting in an offset?

Ross Forrester likes this.
  2. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Tell me what you mean by selling a property. Eg you sign a contract in june, settle in july. When did you sell for rax purposes?

3. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Brendon likes this.
  4. Ross Forrester

Ross Forrester Well-Known Member

Look into tax concessions with the sale - small business concessions, main residence and strategies to increase your cost base.

Timing strategies are lovely but the net present value of the benefit is not much. They are good - but make a real effort to trawl over the permanent advantages before hitting the timing advantages.

craigc and Mike A like this.
  5. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

Agreed when was the contract date. Ive heard many people say i sold a property in july because they settled in july. Turns out they sold in june

6. Brendon

Brendon Well-Known Member

Great responses as always @Terry_w @Ross Forrester @MikeLivingTheDream

Haven't sold the property as yet, will be careful with contract date as it appears that's the important date.

Planning to sell in the financial year I start working for myself as I know my income will be the lowest it will be for a long time, especially with purchases of ute, excavator, trailer etc. will probably travel a bit too (it's well over due) so taxable income exl CGT will be very minimal.

craigc, Ross Forrester and Mike A like this.
  7. Mike A

Mike A Well-Known Member

good strategy. sell in a year with lower income with lower marginal tax rates. consider deductible contributions to super (where cashflow permits) to potentially lower it even further.

hopefully we will also hear soon from Parliament that the $20k accelerated depreciation "write-off" for small business has been extended for the 2019 financial year and that will also help with those asset purchases for your new business.

Brendon and Ross Forrester like this.
  8. Travelbug

Travelbug Well-Known Member

Yes great idea. I sold one with instructions to not sign until after July1. It was my last year of working. I salary sacrificed to the max July- Dec then retired but took 6months leave without pay before getting my LSL in the next financial year. So in the financial year that i sold i had very little income. Saved me a lot of tax.

Paul@PAS likes this.
  9. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

And now its even more complex with concessions like deductible super, downsizer super contributions and more being added to the mix.

Travelbug likes this.

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia