When is a good time to list my property in January?

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by exp, 24th Dec, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

a bit of misdirection never hurt :)

2. Team Davo

Team Davo Member

Hi Sackie,
    Just wondering, who do you use to stage? Are they Melbourne based? What was the average cost for 4 bed, 2 bath, 2 garage?
    Grant

3. Wendy Chamberlain

Wendy Chamberlain Well-Known Member

Agents are already reporting good numbers of buyers making enquiries in January, so I think the first few months of 2020 will be buoyant in Melbourne.

4. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

Following up on this , we launched a property on the second weekend of Jan . This was a property we had problems with a previous vendor being admitted to a psychiatric hospital and we let them walk away after paying some compensation.

Not unconditional as of yet , but price is about 5% above previous “ selling “ price .

No other comparable properties in the market .

cliff

The Y-man, Sackie and Scott No Mates like this.
  5. exp

exp Well-Known Member

Update

I told the selling agent to list on the 8th and now says he wants to list tomorrow and has buyers lined up. I don't believe him as I've heard the "buyers lined up" phrase used before and it was basically a couple of off market BA's who are always "lined up". Plus he's a real estate agent.

My thoughts are that waiting an extra week cannot hurt and if anything, as mentioned earlier in the thread looks to be better as February moves on.
    Also and very importantly, I believe it should be listed for most of the week leading up to it in order to generate interest and that listing it today and first open tomorrow will fail to do that.

I suppose I'm looking for a confirmation on my thoughts, but please tell me if you disagree.

Thanks for any thoughts.

6. Subodh Shirodkar

Subodh Shirodkar Well-Known Member

Hi

We had a very positive experience for sale of an entry level unit in north parra. We were ready to sell early dec. Tenant vacated the IP before Christmas. We painted the unit and decided to do soft sell during break. Got some low ball offers early Jan. We staged the unit it 2nd week of Jan and launched on 11th Jan.

on 11th Jan 1st inspection 18 groups came through got 1 "good" offer in our price range. 2nd inspection on 25th Jan morning 12 Groups came through with 3 offers. The agent had organised another open home in the evening. By evening we had reached our price point. We had 3 buyers trying to get the unit.

Closed in later that night for 455k had bought it for 260k in 2009.

Sometimes I feel I could have batted a bit longer and could have not more money.... But it's just one of those "greedy" things.

In summary know your market, your team and what you have to offer. If you are ready go for it whole hog and get out when you get what you want.
    Ta.

MTR likes this.
  7. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

You cant sell an unlisted property. Waiting to sell isnt a sales strategy. People no longer wake up and think - Oh right its now the 1st Feb so I can buy again.

Genuine buyers want to buy now.
    You can always reject an initial offer but you cant reject anything if its not listed

8. craigc

craigc Well-Known Member

I hope you mean previous buyer not vendor - otherwise I hope you are doing well as the vendor is you!

9. See Change

See Change Well-Known Member

oops ...

Cliff

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia