When do you think you have enough equity?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by dodger21, 9th Oct, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. dodger21

dodger21 Active Member

Hi,
    I'm a newbie to PC but slowly getting through all the previous posts in the forums.
    My story is...I lived in Sydney all my life and purchased a house there 12 years ago. I moved to regional Victoria for work just over 12 months ago and now rent out my Sydney property.
    The Sydney property would be worth about $1M. I still owe $400k on it.
    I bought in regional Victoria and still owe $274k on it.
    When I did my tax return this year, my tax agent said to think about buying another investment in the next 12-18 months.
    So I went to the bank today to see what the equity figures looked like.
    They said 74% of my Sydney equity will allow me to borrow $157k.
    My question is this:
    Do I wait until my borrowing power increases in the next few years? Or do I find a unit somewhere now for about $150k?

2. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Hi Dodger,

There's a couple of confusing points in your post -
    • Why 74% equity? Normally we'd take it up to 80% and avoid LMI, 74% is a bit of an odd number.
    • You can also use rental income to calculate your borrowing capacity for the new IP, so I'd be surprised if you were limited to just a portion of the equity, especially if your tax guy is recommending an investment, presumably to reduce your tax.
    Get a decent broker to have a look for you - you may be able to do much more than you think.

dodger21 likes this.
  3. dodger21

dodger21 Active Member

Hi Jess,
    Thanks for replying.
    He did say I can go up to 80% equity, but he did 74% just to show me. He said 80% would increase the borrowing capacity by about $20,000.

He also said if you buy get a rental appraisal first as that will affect how much I can borrow.

I just don't know whether to wait a few years until I pay it down more and have more equity, or whether to look for a $150k investment

4. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

sounds rather confusing to me ?

Equity and serviceability/borrow capacity are 2 separate things, and while both need to be met, you may be well served to pull some equity loan (say 25 % of the IP value) from your current lender and use lender X for the majority 80 % loan

ta
    rolf

dodger21 likes this.
  5. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Still sounds strange to me. Go to a broker like Jess and get the real story.

dodger21 likes this.
  6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

What you may consider doing is using the equity as a deposit, rather than the whole purchase and get another loan for the balance of the purchase. This will allow you to purchase a higher priced property.

dodger21 likes this.
  7. chindonly

chindonly Well-Known Member

74% of your $600k equity in the IP is a lot more than $157k?

8. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I would be drawing equity out of this property up to 80% LVR. That is, 80% of $1M => $800K. You have already used $400K; so you have $400K left.

Taking this spare equity as a deposit and with a LVR of 80% again, you could buy property up to a total value of up to $2M. You need to look at it from a serviceability perspective, as I imagine that will be your limiting factor.

As others have already stated, go see a MB who knows their stuff.

dodger21 likes this.
  9. eletronic_exp0430

eletronic_exp0430 Well-Known Member

These days its not just LVR. You need to be able to service the loan. How much money do you make and whats your overall cashflow position?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia