When do you need to disclose?

Discussion in 'Loans & Mortgage Brokers' started by 274, 26th Jun, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. 274

274 Member

Hi everyone,
    My partner and I are considering refinancing our PPOR. We are expecting that my partner will be made redundant, but this might be 6 months away, or maybe 12 months. Do we need to disclose this on our application, or is the redundancy too far away to worry about?

2. Rolf Latham

Rolf Latham Inciteful (sic) Staff Member Business Plus Member

if u were my client id say thats a long term away, and would advise you to look at seeking alternate income ASAP.

ta
    rolf

EN710 likes this.
  3. marty998

marty998 Well-Known Member

Would your partner be getting a substantial redundancy package that could tide you over anyway until they find another job?

If it's large enough it could essentially be a couple of years of minimum payments.

4. 274

274 Member

Thanks for the replies. Unless the "perfect job" comes along in the meantime, we have decided to hang out for the redundancy package. It will be a substantial amount for us, and we think getting another job will not be an issue. Refinancing would lower our repayments, and the new loan we are considering is a much better product than what we currently have.

5. 274

274 Member

So, do we need to disclose - does anyone know?

6. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

This is something you probably want to speak to your broker about personally. It's not a call to make without all the information.

Last edited: 28th Jun, 2015
    274 likes this.
  7. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

Disclose something that may or may not happen? Not unless you have been given some form of notice.

Gypsyblood and 274 like this.
  8. 274

274 Member

Thanks Jess and Terry.

9. Jess Peletier

Jess Peletier Mortgage Broker & Finance Strategy, Aus Wide! Business Member

Is it a voluntary redundancy?

The thing is if you tell a lender you're going to be made redundant in 6 months under normal circumstances you're not going to get a loan approved. And under NCCP as a broker we'd be hard pressed to deem a loan as not unsuitable, especially if there was a cash out/equity release component, unless there is new employment lined up.

10. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

I am not a broker but I wouldn't tell personally. I could lose my job today (highly unlikely they got 2 hours to go) but this is unlikely however we never know what the future holds.

My father before he went into retirement setup new loans against his whole portfolio and parked all the funds into the offsets. It has been 5 years now since he retired and he has never had to use those funds but if he didn't and hadn't set them up BEFORE he retired he would struggle to get finance through as he has no personal income but is receiving rents on about 15 properties.

However you have to make sure that you are comfortable with the extra borrowing you will get with having 2 people employed and it will be your life/s in a mess if you cannot afford it.

Gypsyblood, Jess Peletier and Terry_w like this.