When did you "wake up"?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Steven Ryan, 18th Nov, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Maybe it's just me, but it was around age 25 (when I bought a PPOR) that I first began to think about what I wanted in life. Prior to then I was doing lots of stuff with my time but didn't have a clear direction or any defined goals so I was passively drifting down the river of life wherever it led.

This is when I first began to stir, though it was another two years (age 27) before I began to focus more intensely on what I wanted to do with my life. From there I systematically went to work on myself. First stop was hacking my levels of happiness to new heights and maintaining high levels of health and fitness.

With my physical and mental wellbeing sorted out, I went to work on a wider plan and about 2 years ago, at 28 years old, I became intensely goal-oriented and have made enormous positive changes since by strategically working on different areas of myself, and putting in place plans to run down my goals.

I feel like I woke up 2 years ago and am very thankful to have stirred from my slumber as I know many people snooze through their entire lives.

So what's your story? Am I unusual in this respect? Have others always known what they wanted or had the self awareness to be moving in the right direction from a young age? Or is it a common tale for people to "wake up" at some point as I did?

Steven

Last edited: 19th Nov, 2015
  2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Most male's brains do not reach a level of maturity until they are 25 years old.....that's one thing.
    As buyers agents, we gets lots of calls from 45 year old's who "wake up" to the fact that in 10yrs they will be 55 and they still have not gotten around to buying any investment properties.:eek:

3. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

I thought you meant "wake up" in a financial knowledge sense... which for me was between exchange and settlement of my first property :p What an 'enlightening' time that was.

I woke up at about 28 (4 years ago). Up until then I had a few hobbies (including 3D printing) but no real goals/ambitions. I vividly remember sitting in a food court eating lunch with my wife when an overwhelming feeling of sadness / hopelessness suddenly washed over me. I didn't cry but may as well have. It was at that point that I realised how financial intelligence, a solid financial strategy and 2 considerable incomes did not enrich our lives at all. Wealth was rapidly being created but we weren't any better off emotionally.

So I revisited my childhood and remembered what really excited me as a kid. 2 things that came to mind were archery and motorsport. Since that turning point I've won 2 archery state championships, represented Australia in the archery world cup, and regularly end up at/near the top of the timesheets in my intermediate sprint class. The emotional satisfaction from developing a skill and pitting oneself against others with seemingly unending motivation is beyond exhilirating... the only thing that feels better is meeting others with similar interests and helping them achieve their dreams.

Property investing is a means of wealth generation, and wealth is used to satisfy dreams. I see too many people set financial goals but no life goals. I pity the investor that grows old and dies so poor that all they have is money.

Vultures, inertia, marty998 and 14 others like this.
  4. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

The more I learn the more I realise I don't know anything.
    I have waken up enough to know that I have not yet began to wake up.

No one has - we would all be unified and integrated if we have been.

samiam, ellejay, MTR and 2 others like this.
  5. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Um.....

What is your definition on waking up again?

I am not sure if I ever wake up. I never really have clear goals though I always have clear mission, or at least I thought I have clear mission which then evolved - after meeting hubby, when my coworkers passed after an accident, when I have my dog, etc.

6. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I woke up at quite a young age. I was still in early high school. I was a born and bred city boy - having grown up in Perths western suburbs.
    For the life of me I dont know why, but I decided I didnt like living in the city, so made the decision to leave, and move to the country. I wanted to be a farmer.
    Strange decision. I had been on a friends orchid a couple of times, but that was about it. I have no family who are farmers, and dont think I had ever seen any livestock. So where the decision came from... I cant tell you.

But alas - I persued that goal. At the end of year 10 I left school and went farming. I was convinced by the guy I worked for to go back to school - so I went bording at an Ag College. It was the best deicison of my life.

I have continued to set goals, which increasingly become more agressive. I usually fail to hit most of them, but win anyway.

Blacky

MTR, ellejay, Property Twins and 2 others like this.
  7. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

Started waking up gradually between 25 to 30.
    However, worked hard during my 30's and have since gone back to sleep for the past few years just prior to 40, feeling a bit fatigued.

8. chylld

chylld Well-Known Member

What would your 15 year old self think about your nearly 40 year old self?

9. Ace in the Hole

Actually, I turned 40 a couple weeks ago.
    If I were 15 years old again with what I have now, I'd never have to work a day in my life and could play sports all day, travel the world endlessly and do pretty much anything I want, any time.
    But, I'm not 15 any more, married and have a family, so can't exactly live that kind of carefree lifestyle at the moment.

I've probably surpassed anything I would have expected from when I was 15 years old.
    Just need a break now and a fresh start to re-energise.

Last edited: 18th Nov, 2015
  10. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

What the hell happened to your hair?!??!

Phantom, hobo and chylld like this.
  11. freyja

freyja Well-Known Member

I think I've 'woken up' a few times over the years. It's a continual cycle of growth/stagnation and different needs and wants arise in different aspects. I'm expecting that to continue...

MTR likes this.
  12. Ace in the Hole

I know what you mean.
    Can't stay at your highest levels to too long before backing for a while to power up again.

13. SeafordSunshine

SeafordSunshine Well-Known Member

I woke up when I met my flatmate, he told me about how he balanced his life, work ( for money) play ( for fun) and volunteering( for those less fortunate) I was really impressed by this. We can judge ourselves by lots of ways, but I quite like this one!

inertia likes this.
  14. Steven Ryan

Steven Ryan Well-Known Member

Thanks for the responses thus far. Very insightful to hear other perspectives :)

I seem to be able to smash it for 3-6 months before a quick crash and recover, and maintain that cycle for 2-3 years before I need to let off a bit longer and recharge for a couple of months.

I didn't realise until just now but I've been following that pattern since I was 15. Periods of 70-80 hour weeks on 4-5 hours sleep, then recover and repeat.

15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I woke up this morning at a quarter to six.

S.T, Patamea and Xenia like this.
  16. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

There is always someone who just has to say it lol

EN710 likes this.
  17. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

I didn't sleep last night and have just done a 10 hour work day. Constant state of awake.
    But seriously, probably always have had the drive since early 20's but didn't position myself to act on it until 32. Then had a second stage wake up at 1st child 4 years ago aged 40. I'm sure many parents will attest to children being a catalyst for getting your **** together in a hurry.:D

18. Ace in the Hole

This is quite common I believe.
    Take strength training for instance.
    When you start you get great gains, some newbies believe this can go on forever.
    Unfortunately, gains slow after a while and eventually stop.
    If you keep trying to get those early gains by pushing harder and harder you'll just get injured, depressed and eventually quit.
    One needs a de load once in a while to refresh and start a new cycle.

I also realize I have gone in cycles ever since I can remember.
    It just happens naturally and I don't try to schedule anything, it just ends up that way.
    After 10 years of constant hard work in business with minimal time off or holidays, it's time for a really good break soon, maybe 6 months to a year before the next chapter.
    Before this I had changed jobs about every 3-5 years before resetting, so this has been the longest sustained run so far.

19. RetireRich101

RetireRich101 Well-Known Member

I would've never guessed this to be datto

Xenia likes this.
  20. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

love this

EN710 and Xenia like this.