Cars & Motorbikes Wheels

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by MTR, 15th Mar, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

Youre joking but I know someone who bought a new Bentley mulsanne without considering the width of his notoriously tight apartment carpark and scraped it the very first day...

2. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

That's decent. It'll do a day trip ok.

Wow! how technology is progressing, yesterday it took 1-1.5hrs to charge, today only 30mins.

3. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

@sanj I'm a known rim scraper :(. I have ridiculous black rims on stupid low profile tyres so there is no protection against square kerbs. I wore out an almost complete circle around my black rims by scrapes.

4. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

What about your car though?

sanj, DaveM and Phantom like this.
  5. No Probs

No Probs Well-Known Member

image.jpeg This is my beast, don't know about being a successful property invested just yet though!

Last edited: 17th Mar, 2016
    MTR likes this.
  6. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

One of the most fun cars I've had:
    zr.jpg

Dan Donoghue and MTR like this.
  7. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

What I would like:
    xb.jpg

Ted Varrick, clint05 and Dan Donoghue like this.
  8. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

Cracking engine in that, I had the corolla sportivo that had the same 2ZZ-GE motor, that thing loved to rev :)

9. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Just wondering Dan, how has the Liberty GT treated you? Overall were you happy with it?

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  10. Dan Donoghue

It's probably the most beautiful, comfortable and uneventful car I have ever owned.

I don't mean uneventful in a bad way either, you get in it, hit the start button and everything is done for you, auto wipers / lights etc, everything is well thought out and positioned for comfort and ease of use. The level of comfort in this car is amazing and driving Northmead to Hervey Bay (15 hours) was something we did a number of times and it was simple and painless.

The engine / GBox is the same as the WRX of the time, 0-100 is a shave over 6 seconds which for a 2010 car was considered decent. You mash the throttle and this thing is hurtling towards to the speed limit at a rapid rate of knots.

The GPS is easy to use and the 11 speaker Macintosh stereo is pretty decent, a small but punchy sub in the boot as standard certainly helps here. As a daily driver it does exactly what you want it to do and if you want to take it out to a track, it would perform acceptably, not overwhelmingly brilliant but acceptable. The suspension is beautiful, on the track you will likely lose your nerve before this thing loses control. Tire wear is stunning, they come from the factory with Bridgestone Potenzas, they are grippy and hardy, I got 115,000 K's out of my first set, for an AWD Turbo vehicle, this is quite amazing, I wouldn't say I thrashed the car but I certainly don't drive like i'm driving miss daisy.

Why am I replacing it with something so different? There is no sensation of speed and no feeling of being connected to the road (which again is not a bad thing, this thing is designed for comfort). I feel like I have become a dumber driver, it does everything for me. You come to a T-intersection in this thing, put your steering wheel on full lock and floor it, there is no squealing tires, no stepping out of the back end, it just effortlessly goes around the corner with no fuss and no drama. Again, not a bad thing just different to what I want now, I want a toy car to take me back to the feeling of my first car (1978 Mini Clubman GT(replica)). This car is a perfectly composed orchestral classical piece which I have enjoyed every second of being a part of, I want a rock concert now :).

I have absolutely loved owning the GT, it was my dream car since the original Liberty B4 was released here and to be honest if anyone was looking for a bargain $20K car I would recommend a second hand 2010 GT. It's a lot for car for $20K and when new 6 years ago they were $55K.

Finally, and this is a pain with the GT's, the fuel consumption is simply disgusting, on the freeway you can sit around the 9 L/100 mark, not bad at all BUT, get in traffic and you are going to pay, mine typically sits around 14.8 L/100, this is similar to what a V8 uses. This is mostly due to the relocation of the turbo in the Gen V (2010 onwards), the benefit is the boost comes on earlier around 2,400rpm which is very early for 1 bar (14 PSI) of boost but when stopping and starting in traffic you are pretty much always on boost.

Edit: The biggest annoyance for us was the rear seats in the sedan don't fold down, the boot is big but the opening to it is small, fine for shopping, not for bringing home a new BBQ. If I had my time again I would have bought the wagon instead.

Barny likes this.
  11. neK

neK Well-Known Member

Pic of my car :)

Attached Files:

12. Wukong

Wukong Well-Known Member

Good to train your kid from young :)

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  13. neK

neK Well-Known Member

She loves driving :)

Attached Files:

Daniel007 and Dan Donoghue like this.
  14. Dan Donoghue

86 or BRZ? Wonderful track cars :)

15. Phantom

Thanks for the detailed reply. I understand exactly what you mean. I have a 2006 GT STi. I agree with everything you said. Especially the point about losing the feel for the road. Unfortunately this is always the case with an AWD. Audi Quattro's have a similar problem. Also it doesn't help that the throttle is electronic. So driver inputs aren't as responsive on the road. The older cable throttles were way better. Before I had this, I had a 2002 200SX GT. RWD. Much better road feel. Nowhere near the stability or quality, but more fun.
    This is my Liberty -
    IMAG0046.jpg

Barny and Dan Donoghue like this.
  16. Dan Donoghue

I love the GT STi, the Gen IV in my opinion is still the best looking liberty they ever made, I love the front end on mine but the bum on your model is so nicely designed :).

Also you get the boxer burble, mine sounds like a Camry thanks to the relocated turbo being right at the manifold, :(.

17. Phantom

I agree that the Gen IV was the best looking one. Unfortunately mine is the pre-facelifted model with the 2.0L 5MT. These had the equal headers with a twin scroll turbo. So they were more fuel efficient and had great torque in the lower rev range. Because of the equal headers mine also sounds like Camry. Late 2006 they released the facelifted model which came with the 2.5L 6MT and unequal headers. These had the boxer rumble. I was so pumped up for that sound before i bought it not realising that it wouldn't have it. Oh well...:(

Dan Donoghue likes this.
  18. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

I'm not sure whether to offer a toast to a newly forming relationship or report this lewd post! lol.

Phantom and Dan Donoghue like this.
  19. neK

neK Well-Known Member

86 :)

My decision for getting the 86 was about the feel for the road as well and also the car gives me the fast feeling without actually going too fast).

Couple years back I went to a track day at Eastern Creek with my old boss. He bought both his 2008 WRX STI and his Lotus Elise Super (the one with the 2ZZ Super charge engine).

The WRX was fun at first, but after jumping in the Lotus, the WRX just wasn't the same anymore.

Totally agree!

Phantom and Dan Donoghue like this.
  20. Dan Donoghue

Oh god yes, the Lotus was an amazing track car(t) :). Best use of the 2ZZ, Toyota built an amazing engine and Lotus squeezed a little more from it :).

I am loving everything I am reading on the ND MX5 and I can't wait until mine is delivered, they reckon the 86 and the ND MX5 (2L) are so evenly matched in feel, balance and fun :).

The only difference really is one has 2 extra seats and one has a flip top :).

You are gonna hate me for this though, I ordered the automatic ;).