Education & Work Whats your work hours ?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 22nd Dec, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Darlinghurst Boy

Darlinghurst Boy Well-Known Member

im quite lucky that I work for the Govt and can start work anytime between 6am and 930am
    Work 8 hours with a paid lunch break and go home.
    1 day a month paid day off

As a matter of interest

1. What hours do you work and is it Mon to Friday only ?
    2. Do you get paid for your lunch break ?
    3. If you work weekends do you get penalty rates?
    4. Do you get one paid day off a month ??

Last edited by a moderator: 22nd Dec, 2015
  2. JenW

JenW Well-Known Member

Same as you, govt worker. I work 7am-3pm with a half hour lunch break (unpaid). No overtime or weekend work required - although if it was, I would get penalty rates.

That's the day job, anyhow :D

3. beachgurl

beachgurl Well-Known Member

I work when work needs to be done re accounts and chasing up PMs, next stages in my developments, networking.

My husband leaves home at 6am and is home by 8pm most nights. So even if I wanted a real job I'm pretty much unemployable when throwing daycare drop off/pick up in the mix

4. Darlinghurst Boy

I dont know how your husband can do long hours like that.. By the time he gets home its dinner .. Shower.. Bed.. And back to work !!
    I guess some of its travelling time.

Im guess im lucky I can walk to work but I know some who have to travel 2 hours everyday to go to work... Sydney to Central Coast etc .
    Imagine doing that everyday !!!

5. womble66

womble66 Well-Known Member

1. 37.5hrs/wk - Mon-Tue in office and work from home Fri
    2. Works out to AVE 7.5hr/day with unpaid lunch (7am - 7pm)
    3. O/T but rarely required
    4a. Flex-time so unlimited within reasonable credit/debit
    4b. Self assessed time sheet signed off fortnightly

6. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

I work in the private sector Mon to Fri from 8.30-6pm - usually no lunch break plus additional hours if needed. I also work on weekends if required, averages out about one weekend in four. No overtime or penalty rates. No additional day off per month but I'll sometimes take a day in lieu here or there for the weekend work, but it's certainly not tracked on a time sheet.

7. Darlinghurst Boy

Seems long hours and I know a job is a job and theres not many around..but I have to ask if the pay is enough to compensate your hours.
    Sounds like your up early in the morning back home at night and one day off a week !
    Hardly anytime to yourself .

I would have to say even though im only on about 60k-70k a year I get it easy compared to some of you who work long hours .

8. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

I start at twelve, knock off at one and have an hour for lunch.

Scott No Mates likes this.
  9. Tim & Chrissy

Tim & Chrissy Well-Known Member

6am to 4pm Monday to Thursday
    Unpaid lunch break
    No weekend penalty, for every 7 Sundays worked I get 1 day additional leave
    No paid days off by 6 weeks annual leave

10. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

I work 12hours a day 6.5days/week for 28days straight. Then take 28days off.

I get paid only of the days I am at work.

I don't get paid overtime (and as such generally don't do any) - however, if I work an extra day for some reason, I get paid in full for it.

I get a lot of benefits which are not included in my salary. As I live on site for the 28days on I get all my meals and accom provided. Plus for my month off, I get airfares paid to pretty much anywhere I wish to travel to.

The month on sucks. The month off is great.

Its hard to know whats better. Be home every night but be too buggered to enjoy any time with the family. Or spend 28days away, and get 28days solid to enjoy doing what ever you want - where ever you want.

Blacky

bob shovel and 158 like this.
  11. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

That's pretty extreme.
    Must be hard going back to work for a month after having a month off, continuously.
    I wonder how many just can't take going back once they've done this for a year or two.
    It must take its toll more than jobs with regular weekends and holiday breaks.

12. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Ace - it is certainly a different lifestyle.
    True, some people struggle to handle it - or simply can't. Others (like myself) become addicted to it, and struggle to see myself going to work week after week without a real break. The thought of 4-6weeks off a year is just mind boggling.

Like anything you get used to it. I actually think it is harder for my wife than it is for me. Day to day life continues as per normal, and I float in - change things around, then float out again.

I enjoy it, but after 7years of this lifestyle, the addiction is wearing thin. It is a fantastic life for a young single man. A lot harder being married with kids.

Blacky

bob shovel and hobo like this.
  13. Patamea

Patamea Well-Known Member

Darlo what do you do for work?

14. moyjos

moyjos Well-Known Member

Our factory guys work generally mon - fri 7:00 - 3:00 with a paid lunch break. In the summer when it is busy they may work 6:00 - 3:00. Very rarely we work Saturdays.

Hubby works roughly the same hours, but not all on the floor. He will work The Saturdays if needed.

I work whenever I feel the need :) In truth I do try to be in the office by 9:00 and always leave when the guys do at 3:00. But interspersed with hair, nail, massage and ladies lunch appointments I probably only really do 15-20 hours a week to keep the invoicing and finances ticking over

15. vtt

vtt Well-Known Member

I guess it depends on your line of work and your livelihood. I've always worked in the private sector and have never worked in a job with an award or EBA so I really don't know what that is like from a first hand perspective. Many of my colleagues however do and I don't begrudge them at all - they do different work so have different arrangements to me.

If I wanted to take time off in lieu for the extra time I work then I could. If I need to leave early for a dentist appointment or if I have to stay home for a tradie to show up then it's not an issue and I don't need to take leave for that. So I guess it's swings and roundabouts as my colleagues who are working under an award would probably have to use their leave for that or just don't get paid for the time.

16. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Out the door by 5:15am, at my desk working by 5:45am and rarely leave before 7pm Mon-Fri then chuck in the odd 6-12 Saturdays. I get paid flat a rate by the hour, at the moment I'm really busy so cram as many hours in as possible - looks great for the serviceability calcs whilst your house shopping! Been a tough 3 or 4 months flat out at these hours, I'l throttle it back to 55 hours a week in the New Year.

17. Shawn

Shawn Well-Known Member

I work 8:45am - 5pm.
    Lunchtime break of 1 hour in that time.
    Most of time spent in meetings or at my desk running scripts that I made to do most of my job.

Recently started a new role (same hours) but at my old role I went to gym between 2-3pm and had a half hour lunch break.

Having seen some of the posts here, I guess Life is good where I am.

18. citystar

citystar Well-Known Member

9am to 5:30pm Monday to Friday, half an hour for lunch.

19. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Every day?

20. Random Username

Random Username Well-Known Member

Only the days I work.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia