Education & Work Whats your average sickies per year?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Darlinghurst Boy, 12th Apr, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

And therein lies another problem. What happens when the main business driver becomes incapacitated? The business comes to a halt quick.

pinkboy

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Apr, 2016
  3. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Plus they posted it on the internet.

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

And trying to justify it by "others" taking more than a 100 days leave. Not a way to justify your slackness in work.

5. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

Stay in your PJs MTR and keep working on those Develoments - it's just too dangerous out there. :)

MTR likes this.
  6. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

A commercial insurance broker might have something to cover that (a sick child) ?

But where the business owns (is a beneficiary of) life / trauma / TPD cover over an employee (or manager / owner, etc) - and that person gets ill (eg cancer) - that is effectively Key Person Insurance by another name.

I've written a fair bit of it in years past. Mostly to cover 3 (or so) years of the estimated cost to the business to replace someone should something happen to them*, and to give people time to make decisions over the future of the business rather than a "oh **** I have cancer" immediate wind-up / struggle on while the business bleeds cash type event.

*And obviously for some people that cost does go well above simply putting someone in their role, because they are so key to driving he business.

Edit -

And to answer the original question. I would have averaged about 5 days sick leave pa over my working career. At the end of the day it is a contingent liability for employers (who if I don't use it, they get it back - I never see it) - but I don't abuse it. But if I am running a fever and can barely breathe (as happens sometimes when I come down with a virus) - there's no way I'm coming to work. And in doing that I am doing my employers a favour by not infecting other people.

Last edited by a moderator: 19th Apr, 2016
    wylie likes this.
  7. Xenia

Xenia Well-Known Member

My business is completely automated. I have left it alone for 5 years and only stepped back into it about a year ago.

It can run independently but will not grow without me at the pace I can grow it.

I put 5 managent agreements last Monday on the front desk. My office manager has worked for some big companies, she has never seen anything like this before.

In terms of day to day operation, I don't even get involved, the staff can handle all the admin things they don't need me. I focus on expanding the business.

In my first real estate company, I did the same and when I left and my then business partner kept the name she was listing heaps of new properties for years due to the momentum I created in the business. I closed down my email related to that company but she reinstated it again to get listings.

Now 5 years on - no growth because she has really no idea how to create the momentum and growth. She was only able to take what other people created.

If I stop or take months off its the growth that will be jeopardised not the running of the business.

Can I ensure against that?

Last edited: 19th Apr, 2016
  8. MarkB

MarkB Well-Known Member

I'm not aware of I CBF insurance.

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I was feeling inspired by @Darlinghurst Boy's efforts.

I felt the urge to go to work today. I sat down, had a cuppa & the urge has passed. :p

10. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I assume that the acronym means that I couldn't be f...ed?

Ted Varrick likes this.
  11. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

LOL.....

Its a bad day for me this morning, my better half forgot to order the nespresso coffee pods, I may have to risk walking up the street for my fix. :p

Xenia likes this.
  12. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

I think talking to strangers is a risk

MTR likes this.
  13. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

???