Whats the strangest thing you found when....

Discussion in 'The Buying & Selling Process' started by Sackie, 4th Aug, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

So you bought an IP and finally its settled and you take possession, doing a clean up etc.

What's the strangest thing the previous owners left behind?

For me, it was one of those old, massive safes that weighs a ton. Found it on the floor in the kitchen cupboard. Took about 30 mins to drag it out to the garden, went to Bunnings to buy a sledge hammer and cracked it open. Found some birth certs, passports, keys and $20 is 50c pieces as well as about $150 of the old Australian notes. I think they forgot the password years back and just couldn't be bothered with it!

2. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

a matchbox car or roof racks has been the only thing left behind for me.

Parents had an outdoor furniture set for two people, nothing wrong with it along with a really large painting.

3. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

Half a dozen very healthy head high dope plants. They were in the back room of the first house I bought in Erskineville. The vendor would not have wanted to move them in daylight and must have been pressed for time.

4. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Nothing exciting
    - the top shell of luxury car
    - Xray results

What did you do to get rid of it? Is there a legal process for that?

5. Depreciator

Depreciator Well-Known Member

I was young. My method of disposal was slow and definitely not legal. I had plenty of assistance in the task.

Tranquilo, Ben Wilkie, Patsy and 33 others like this.
  6. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

Besides miscellaneous junk left laying around the yard, including a dead washing machine, a dead trailer and a home made garden shed packed full of stuff, one owner left behind a full lock up garage/workshop packed to the roof with all sorts of things. The strangest by far was three boxes of brand new, unused, motor oil containers. There were about 12 to a box I think. I have no idea what they would be useful for. Think this, but clean, empty, no labels.
    [​IMG]

Sackie likes this.
  7. Propagate

Propagate Well-Known Member

Not me, and not an IP, but when we first moved to Aus from the UK I used to go on an expat forum a lot. A guy on there bought a PPOR from a deceased estate if I recall rightly. Needed a full renno, been owned by an old lady for donkeys before she passed if I remember correctly. The house was full of shabby old furniture that was left as part of the sale. Anyway, he opens a draw of some old thing and there's wads of cash in there!

Few days later, more wads of cash stashed in the back of a cupboard...

...and so it goes.

Can't remember what the final tally was at the end, but it seemed every few days/weeks he was posting up on the forum how much the next wad was he's pulled out of a wall cavity of from behind a skirting board. The old dear must have been scared of the banks and kept all her cash stashed around the house.

A&J and Sackie like this.
  8. Ace in the Hole

Ace in the Hole Well-Known Member

A dead cat under the house, quite long dead as only bones left.

Esh likes this.
  9. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

In between tenants we found miscellaneous dead small animals, tooth brush, underwear, olives, sailing mast... nothing strange though.

10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

That's not weird. ..??:eek:

EN710 and Azazel like this.
  11. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Oh no, this was only outside, nothing weird at all.

Sackie likes this.
  12. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We had to give tenants a form once, and I decided I'd slip it under the front door to ensure they saw it as soon as they got home.

I peered underneath because it seemed not to slide easily and saw lots of "stuff" on the verandah floor. Then I noticed the ducks wandering around, little webbed feet wandering about.

I called them and asked why the ducks were upstairs. They apparently had caught cold and they brought them upstairs to keep them warm. They were restricted to the front verandah.

We suggested they should maybe look for a more rural rental. They did move soon after. They were lovely people and good tenants and didn't think it odd at all to have ducks living upstairs.

They left the place clean, and no ill-will, but I thought it was a little strange.

Lil Skater, Toon, EN710 and 1 other person like this.
  13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Half a dozen vibrators:) in the garage of all places

Not what you think. Prior owner was a concretor and used them on the job lol.

14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

"On the job"... ;)

Lil Skater, Dan Donoghue and Bran like this.
  15. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Well you know lol they put the vibrators in the slab to compact the concrete. Not to be overdone nor touch the reo.

16. Hodge

Hodge Well-Known Member

For me, the most exciting find was a turd in the bathtub. Probably a way to tell me what they really thought of me! :D

jim1964 and mrdobalina like this.
  17. skater

skater Well-Known Member

When we checked under the house of our first IP, we found a couple of truckloads of car parts that we needed to clear......then, right at the back in a little kind of sheltered grotto, we found an old stained mattress, some magazines & a very nasty smell.:eek:

EN710 likes this.
  18. Phantom

Phantom Well-Known Member

Not me but a friend bought his PPOR with a detached garage at the back of the property. Inside the garage in the ceiling space there was a brand new set of Mizuno Golf Clubs (Apparently quite expensive)

Sackie likes this.
  19. Dan Donoghue

Dan Donoghue Well-Known Member

My mum used to stash cash, she would save every week and when it hit 5 grand she would stash it "in case they were broken into"

Out of the 10 or so stashes she accumulated by the time they sold and moved up north, she found only 2. Whoever bought the house would have been in for a few nice surprises :).

Lil Skater likes this.
  20. Sashatheman

Sashatheman Well-Known Member

The PPoR we bought, had hundreds of dollars worth of tools & equipment left in in the shed. The previous owner lived in the property, but then rented it out, to the time that we bought it. He was a builder, so he must have had other tools and not cared enough to go get the ones in the house. A win for me.