Education & Work What's the hardest job you've ever done?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by Bayview, 24th Jun, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I dislike mice! Saw a live one in some floor stock at Big W, it came running out from the area of the dog food/gardening stuff. My manager (a no nonsense woman) basically chased it down. Another was in a box of boys socks... It seems to have eaten through plastic packaging in the box. That one was dead. But small pieces of plastic flew everywhere! Again, it gave me a huge fright to see it.

Poor things though, certain death by clobbering at your company. Inhumane!

2. Bonz

Bonz Well-Known Member

Keeping the wife happy

3. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

You mean...that's not you in the picture...

4. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

So silly when analytics is pretty much the norm now! I can see the writing on the wall for that company.

5. jins13

jins13 Well-Known Member

Hardest job ever was working night shifts during my uni days when I was studying for my first degree. I was working full time and studying full time as well! I just wish that I was better with my money back in those days because there were some wonderful deals!

Did annoy one of my lecturers who caught on that I was sleeping during his lectures due to wearing sunnies inside the room. One day he dropped a whole stake of books on my desk and woke me from from my slumber. The silly bananna never gave me a good mark from that day onwards. It was a good time and guess I needed to go through those days because it taught me the meaning of money and respecting it. Also, learned alot of good life lessons from people which eventually allowed me to realise that I needed to have a plan and build on my financial prosperity or be one of those people working night shifts for the next 40 years.

But ultimately, I think I needed to experience the hardship in order for me to be the person I am today.

Last edited: 25th Jun, 2017
    Bayview, lowIQ, mouseburger and 2 others like this.
  6. mouseburger

mouseburger Well-Known Member

Worst job for me was when I worked in a team where I was repeatedly asked by management to do something potentially illegal. Despite advising them to get legal clarification in writing, they refused and basically told me shut up and do it asap. When I said no because I didn't want to go to jail they backtracked and said they'd never asked me to do that. Was told to remove it from meeting minutes and edit all minutes to whatever they wanted it to be, not what was actually discussed.

As payback they set me up to fail (witholding information, changing deadlines without notice) and every week there was a new accusation (bullying, leaking confidential material, being "unprofessional" but they couldn't say how) which I had to defend against.

Union advised I had a case for legal action but to think twice about doing it because this organisation has no problem spending hundreds of thousands of taxpayers money on spiteful ligitation. Whistleblowers who've stood up to this organisation have had their careers effectively ended or been bankrupted.

Got the hell out of there as soon as I could.

Toon, Bayview, Gockie and 1 other person like this.
  7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

Experienced similar in a few jobs, unfortunately very common in too many work places, including mining

8. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Council street cleaning crew.

I had to get up every morning

As the new kid on the block I was responsible to clock on the whole gang. If the other gang lackey didn't rock up, I had to clock their gang on as well. This was usually before 5:30 so we got OT.

Had to make sure there were adequate tools on the truck, hammocks, fold up chairs, card table, sun shades, water, Urn, cards, traffic control paddles & signs.

Did the rounds to pick up the crew from their place or the early opener (more often than not)

Smoko run, off to the tuck shop.

Pass out shovels to crew (for leaning). I became team leaner in next to no time, taught by seasoned professionals.

Fend off a few comments from passers by.

Lean on brooms for a while (shovel leaning is hard to master).

Back to depot for lunch.

Drop off guys back to their starting locations.

Return truck to depot.

Clock in the crew late for OT.

I don't know how I lasted so many years.

JordanW, TerryN, Sackie and 7 others like this.
  9. jim1964

jim1964 1941

Memories.............This was rife at the car factory i worked at,phantom shifts etc.

10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

That depends... Predictive analytics is the new big thing for accounting/strategy/management consultants, and it's essentially ********.

11. KayTea

KayTea Well-Known Member

Hardest job = parenting!

No clock-off time, no pay, and generally have no idea if I'm doing the right thing.

Pentanol, Jacque, Sackie and 4 others like this.
  12. Big Lez

Big Lez Well-Known Member

I used to work at a concrete plant as a general hand doing a wide range of tasks. One of the worse tasks I had, on the odd occasion, a concrete truck might break down and the concrete in the back would harden because the agitator wasn't able to rotate. So my job was to climb into the back of the truck and jack hammer all the concrete out. It would take me a couple of days sometimes.

Bayview and vbplease like this.
  13. Darwin55

Darwin55 Well-Known Member

Had to do that once in an agi on a mine. Not fun haha

14. 158

158 Well-Known Member

You worked for the Federal Government huh? :rolleyes:

pinkboy

Sackie, Gladys, Bayview and 4 others like this.
  15. Davothegreat

Davothegreat Well-Known Member

Packing eggs in a factory in the middle of summer between school and uni with no air con. Covered head to toe in raw egg. Learnt how to fold a box quickly though... eggs on a conveyor belt don't wait for you to fold a box.

Bayview likes this.
  16. twobobsworth

twobobsworth Well-Known Member

Picking up golf balls at a golf range while it was open.

Bayview and bob shovel like this.
  17. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Stacking bricks onto to pallets at a brick plant. The retaining wall ones. They had to be stacked by hand as the machine broke these particular ones when loading on to pallets. All day lifting solid blocks!

And similar field was brikies labourer... but i would give it a go again with the right guys. First day i was the sorest I've ever been in my life!! Good coin though 1250pw cash ;) in 2011 regional qld boom times :D

Sackie and Bayview like this.
  18. Renorookie

Renorookie Member

Unpacking 30kg hessian bags of imported black pepper from 40ft containers and stacking them on to pallets at the wharf in 40+ degree heat for weeks on end...I'll never forget the eyes and lungs burning towards the back of each container from the pepper and the heat! :(

Bayview likes this.
  19. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Speaking of livestock in the shops...I was in a small country town in QLD years ago called "Caliope"...was grabbing a few things from the local supermarket/video shop, and noticed something small and dark out of the corner of my eye moving in one of the aisle ....I turned to see what it was but it had disappeared...went to the end of the aisle, looked down the next one; and saw it; it was a kangaroo.

bob shovel likes this.
  20. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

What's a video shop?