What's the deal with brickx

Discussion in 'Innovative Property Investment Techniques' started by scientist, 14th May, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. splatters

splatters Well-Known Member

i purchased a handful of bricks in darlinghurst, never expecting that increase to happen. i sold most of them within a week and made 28% after costs for only holding less than 14 days. people are mad on there, such a typical FOMO mentality. the higher they went, the faster people bought them.

i'm definitely keen to have another play with the new property to see if i can do the same thing

tommo c likes this.
  2. tommo c

tommo c Well-Known Member

Very interesting!!

3. tommo c

tommo c Well-Known Member

The new property in Surry Hills sold out in 52mins!

Amazing what a bit of additional media exposure does, along with the general FOMO mentality as you mentioned!

4. splatters

i know!!! i couldn't believe it. yesterday all the bricks were down at the lowest prices they had been for weeks. i can only assume people were selling bricks to free up funds for surry hills. i grabbed a handful though in the 50 mins they were available, let's see the madness that ensues on the 30th may when the property goes live.

tommo c likes this.
  5. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

To all in BrickX - is there a transaction history for bricks, or a daily closing price graph or some such?

The Y-man

6. splatters

@The Y-man you can see a list of recent transactions if you go into either "buy bricks" or "sell bricks". there is a table with available bricks, or the second tab is "recent transactions". there is not a closing price graph because unlike shares, the trading never closes.

7. J.C Murphy

J.C Murphy Member

It's great to hear from someone who has used the service. How do you think Fractional Investment will go in the future? Is it just a fad generated by some media attention or is there something to it?

8. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

I think BrickX has merit for SMSF investors who want to invest in residential property. There is some gearing on some of the properties. You can sell some bricks if you need money.

9. J.C Murphy

J.C Murphy Member

Absolutely, and I think that fractional investment as a whole has some merit and will become more popular with people in younger generations.

10. Trainee

Trainee Well-Known Member

Similar risks to a lic. Liquidity and the unit price may not track the contents.

11. ollidrac nosaj

ollidrac nosaj Well-Known Member

12. fpap

fpap Active Member

NAB has invested in Brickx as well.
    "I'm thrilled to announce that NAB Ventures has invested in BRICKX! The team at NAB Ventures has recognised the value that BRICKX is providing to Aussies, in acting as a financial stepping stone to achieving the Australian dream of home ownership.

This support from NAB Ventures should allow BRICKX to continue to evolve. 2018 is shaping up to be our biggest year to date. Look out for:
    • New properties being added to the BRICKX Platform
    • The launch of new features aiming to help members get more out of their investment
    We think there's never been a better time to invest in residential property through theBRICKX Platform. "

ollidrac nosaj likes this.
  13. The Y-man

I'd like to know from the brickx investors how they have progressed.

As a parallel comparison, I invested in a very large retail REIT May last year.
    It has done....... well that stuff you need toilet paper for :oops:.... down about 14.5% (sale) value wise, with distributions of 5.8%

The Y-man

14. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

When did the price drop? Global real estate securities got hammered last month.

I wouldn't be so concerned about investing in specific properties via a platform such as Brickx or directly - those property securities have a large amount of sentiment factored into their price.

15. The Y-man

Been bumpy with this specific one - took a deep dive after I bought it (typically) and then resurrected, only to crash again from a December top.

The value of the properties themselves are fine, the funding is fine, but some of the centres based purely on discretionary spending will be hit by amazon and co.

They have been taking a slightly different tack now to diversify into other activities than retail - which I think will do ok.

The Y-man

16. fpap

fpap Active Member

Hi mate
    Set up an account. It's free and quick and it will give you access to other properties and their performance.
    It seems some performed better than others which is expected. For example Mosman. Initial Brick value of $126 (purchased in Jan 2015). Value of Brick is now $147.88. There is zero debt against this property and latest valuation is $1.478k ($1.2k purchase). Yield has been 2.63% (NET).
    Not something I would invest in directly but there are a lot of people that want exposure to direct property that don't have enough to buy a complete property.
    Interesting to see how they have structured things.

17. Danyool

Danyool Well-Known Member

I bought a few as a "this is interesting new thing". Results were going better before the Sydney slowdown!

Got a few in a few different properties, and it's a mixed bag - some up a few %, couple treading water, and a few down. Overall down ~1% at present prices (after income), but a few are under their last valuations, eg Annandale was valued at $112 in December, but currently priced at $107, so if it got back to value it would bump up my return.

Planning to hold on for a while anyhow.

The Y-man likes this.
  18. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

19. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Spaceship super fund fined for false and misleading conduct by ASIC

ASIC was particularly concerned with a statement on the Spaceship website that said the fund would "fight to get you the very best assets in your portfolio ... We will measure companies in our portfolio based on their ability to provide defensibility of profits and high levels of product differentiation."

However, ASIC argued that, given the fund had 79 per cent of its assets in index-tracking funds that "involved no qualitative analysis of the underlying companies", there was little opportunity to pick specific assets.

Dean Collins likes this.
  20. The Y-man

Buy Property Interstate WITHOUT Dropping $15k On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia