What's the deal with asbestos?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Mystyic33, 11th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. Mystyic33

Mystyic33 Active Member

Hi guys,

Seeking some clarification on a property I'm considering. The building inspection states "The property inspected is a timber frame single storey house. The timber frame is clad with asbestos cement."

Now reading the 149 certificate there's a clause which says:

Contaminated Lands Policy and Asbestos Policy

Council has adopted a contaminted lands policy and an asbestos policy which may restrict development on the subject land
    The asbestos policy applies where land contains, or is likely to have contained in the past, buildings or structures that were erected prior to the banning of asbestos.

Is anyone familiar with what the asbestos policy says in terms of a granny flat development on a land with an existing home constructed with asbestos?

Many thanks

2. JK200SX

JK200SX Well-Known Member

Which city/LGA?

3. Mystyic33

Mystyic33 Active Member

Western Sydney area

4. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

You will need more clarification on the contaminated lands issue - this relates moreso to the land eg the fill on the site may be contaminated soil. You need to know the extent or be prepared to walk.

Areas around Rosehill, Camellia are likely suspect areas - Hardies used to give the stuff away as fill.

The effect will be you cannot disturb the soil for excavation for a slab, footings or even a garden.

Gingin and Mystyic33 like this.
  5. Mystyic33

Mystyic33 Active Member

Ah I see, okay will get that further clarified. What about the asbestos issue, have you heard of any development restrictions on the land? Or will the council simply ask me to get the asbestos removed before proceeding with any developments?

ycdfdyan likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Before proceeding you will need to ascertain the extent of contamination as well as getting a handle on the cost of remediation. Any offer would have to be subject to a satisfactory costing for removing the asbestos and reinstatement with compacted VENM/clean fill.

Gingin likes this.
  7. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

My new ppor is timber framed and fibro clad from the 1930\'s and hit hard on the head with the fugly stick... but if you leave it be its fine. I will clad over it when I extend

8. Balman

Balman Well-Known Member

Just had a call from my agent who has inturn had a call from my tenants asking about an asbestos register, whats the deal with that? any help will be appreciated, thanks .

9. Gingin

Gingin Well-Known Member

Further to what @Scott No Mates said. U need a asbestos clearance certificate prior to doing any work. If u go DA it will be a CC requirement. If u go CDC , same same. Easy to get after mitigating work.. @Mystyic33 . If u need anything further, Pm me. Basic rule is if it becomes disturbed it needs to all go. For example. If it is buried , and u find, can't ignore and concrete over.

10. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

The OWNER of land has a contingent liability until they sell. Sometimes until contracted. If they dont dispose of it correctly the laibility increaes