Cars & Motorbikes Whats the cheapest 2nd hand car with a lot of goodies?

Discussion in 'Living Room' started by oddshapes, 13th Apr, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

Our 2006 Mazda 2 has just had its 210,000 km service and is still going fine. No major failures to date (touch wood) except rear tailgate stay struts failing.
    Of course the 2 will be too small for you, but shows the Mazda reliability thing.

The Y-man

oddshapes likes this.
  2. oddshapes

oddshapes Well-Known Member

Prefer it to be integrated into the vehicle, I don't like things hanging from the windscreen and with cops handing out 3 demerit points for touching the phone, I just dont want the hassle basically.

3. The Y-man

ok - just to let you know, some of the older GPS needs annual (or more) updates by the servicing dealer so that you get new streets and reconfigured intersections etc uploaded. This can be quite expensive (a phone just updates auto~magically).

The Y-man

4. oddshapes

Yeah, thats a valid point, our current car is DVD based GPS at something like $400 an upgrade so its not something we have actually done.

Maybe a vehicle with applie / andorid car play may be the go, but probably out of our budget.

5. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

If you're not a probationary driver, you are allowed to use the phone for navigation if it's attached to a cradle and doesn't obstruct the view (NSW law). You are allowed to touch it when used for this purpose.

Of course, it's your choice whether you want to do this. A dashboard display is usually much larger.

6. The Y-man

General question to all: can a phone be voice commanded for GPS? Like "Directions to XYZ?"

The Y-man

7. oddshapes

No wife and I well past probationary stage. Hmmm, I'll have to double check, I'm in Victoria and there were people ringing up talk back radio saying they were getting booked talking on the phone when they were pulled over and stopped on a road but had their engine running.

8. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I think that Victoria also allows a phone in a cradle to be touched if it is used for navigating, but for no other purpose
    Smartphone and Driving Laws Around Australia

In some states, you must have set your destination before you set out.

In some states, you must be pulled up out of the line of traffic to otherwise touch the phone; in others, the engine must be turned off.

You can use voice calling. My hint - make sure the phone can recognise who you're calling by voice command before you go. If the name is very common or unusual, voice activation might not work well with the real name - so add a new name to the contact, or even a new contact, which works every time

oddshapes likes this.
  9. datto

datto Well-Known Member

The other week I was waiting at a set of lights and needed to use google maps on my phone, which was in my top shirt pocket.

Just as I was pulling the phone out, lo and behold, a motorcycle cop comes around the corner and immediately turns his head in my direction. My light turns green and I'm off like a rat through a drain pipe.

Sweating and checking my rear views, I realised I was in the clear. Datto 1, Motorcycle cop 0. You gotta be careful out there.

10. oddshapes

Question for the mechanical minded out there, with all things being equal (i.e. up to date service records / well maintained etc), would a larger engine last longer / travel more kms before issues arise? So would a 2.0 litre 4 cylinder require work before a 2.5 litre?

11. The Y-man

Theoretically yes ~ although the difference between a 2 and 2.5 may not be huge.

On the other hand if you wer comapring a 1.5 4 cyl vs a 5 litre V8....

The Y-man

12. oddshapes

Ahh ok, thanks Y-man.

13. datto

datto Well-Known Member

In terms of engine wear the bigger the engine the longer it lasts. A bigger engine would have less strain than a smaller one. The bigger engine would achieve a certain speed at a lot less RPMs than a small engine. Less RPM, less wear.

14. oddshapes

Thanks @datto

Does adding a turbo charger change anything? Some of the cars I've been reading about have turbo charged small 4 cyl engines that get to their max torque at lower revs, so, compared to a n/a engine, the turbo should last longer?

15. Shogun

Shogun Well-Known Member

Same engine different states of tune. Longest lasting stock NA 4.2L ford 6, then stock turbo then one stuffing 30psi boost into it

The higher the state of tune the shorter the engine life.
    V8 super car engine only do a few 1000 km between freshen ups.

This starts to explain it
    Why No Diesel Performance Chip

Last edited: 28th Apr, 2019
    oddshapes likes this.
  16. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Should last longer? I don't know about that. I hear that when a turbo engine has "done a few miles" get ready for more expenses especially if the motor hasn't been maintained properly.

oddshapes likes this.
  17. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

All of this said, a quality well designed engine will last 300K+ km regardless of displacement. By this point, the rest of the car and driveline is probably falling to bits and needing major $$ spent anyway. Any theoretical (and marginal) longevity advantages of a larger displacement engine are usually dwarfed by higher fuel and servicing costs over the life of the car.

However, I think things are a bit different for the highly tuned small displacement turbo petrol engines kicking around in recent years. I wouldn't be banking on them lasting too far beyond the 200K mark without a rebuild. Just my uninformed opinion mind you.

datto, oddshapes and The Y-man like this.
  18. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Thanks, I have been waiting for a number of years to buy a V10 Dodge Viper.

Hopefully I will be finally be able to trade in my Lada Niva, which did 0-100 in about 8 - 12 minutes (depending on the wind direction)

datto likes this.
  19. datto

datto Well-Known Member

Lada! The cheapest 4x4 in Australian history.

They were built in Russia. We're there there any empty Vodka bottles on the back seats when you bought it? lol. Did it come with back seats?

Ted Varrick likes this.
  20. Rex

Rex Well-Known Member

My Niva had similar acceleration. Scarily, breaking performance was sometimes even worse. The starter motor was also quite unreliable, and actually required the entire engine to be removed to replace it, so that never happened. Lucky it had the hand-cranking option.

However it rarely got bogged, I'll give the Soviets that.

Ted Varrick, datto and The Y-man like this.