What's on your plate?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by spludgey, 6th Nov, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. sash

sash Well-Known Member

Amen to that....since I have trialed retirement...I am afraid to say....that there is still no desire to go back to work. It also less stressful to just manage my portfolio.......I guess I have a new job Self Managed Portfolio Manager

Vick B, datto, samiam and 3 others like this.
  2. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

Hi everyone,
    Just joined the forum, and saw this thread.
    On our plate is a house demolition (just completed), and about to start a new house build on the block. It will be our house to live in.
    Hopefully start the build before the end of this year, subject to soil and site test, then sign Contract, get final approval for loan, and then start.
    More likely to be early in the new year, I think.
    6 months until completion, move in approx June (probably July) 2020.
    Exciting!

Sackie, MTR and Stoffo like this.
  3. bbinvest

bbinvest Member

I'll participate. Full plate too.

Wife's job is change affected with an unknown outcome at this stage. This leaves our plans in limbo until early next year. I'm not worried about it financially (her redundancy provisions are exceptional) just dont like the uncertainty of the whole thing.

She is looking at opportunities elsewhere which may involve a relocation for us, which I'm fine with, but just want it done so life can go on.

I am currently selling a problematic investment property and against all odds accepted an offer on recently and even though I am taking a loss, I'll be glad to see it gone, and after the problems with various investment properties over the last 5 years, I am not replacing them as I sell them. I'm taking a break from property and concentrating on other investments, which don't involve trouble tenants, solicitors, JV partners,h so much capital tied up in one asset or just being so time consuming.

I also have a very outgoing 2 year old who is testing his boundaries big time at the moment, and am also assisting a family member with a mental illness.

My job takes up a lot of time and involves travel, however recently got promoted so I have to balance this too.

All that said, I am taking the opportunity to simplify life in a big way, from how we manage finances to the sort of investments we take on. I am drawing a line in the sand and progressively undoing things from the past, be it an expensive car lease (which is just at break even thankfully) and other crap I have bought over the years, to creative and out of the box property transactions which I really CBF with these days.

Stoffo likes this.
  4. SatayKing

SatayKing Well-Known Member

Chicken, Italian sausages and pasta with mushrooms.

5. jrc

jrc Well-Known Member

1. Wife in hospital for pain management/treatment following car accident 7 years ago. Average of 3 months per year in hospital for PTSD/Pain treatment over the past 5 years
    2. 18 yo son decided after being attacked by his girl friend that he needed to get out
    3. sorted temporary accommodation for him, girl came when he asked her to leave she kicked in a window - police were called AVO issued against girl which included she was not to contact him
    4. leave work drive son several hundred k's to family member who has offered to help give a new start
    5. son changes phone number, bomil (bloody old mother in law) gives new phone number to the girl friend
    6. girlfriend rings son says she is pregnant to him
    7. work decides to provide more information to external stakeholders. Stakeholders increase from 24 to 39, customised reports increase from 96 (4 per stakeholder) to 219 Still only 24 hours in day
    8. wife complains that pool has leaves in it and asks me to keep it cleaner (sill only 24 hours in a day)

Thankfully I'm not at sea as they say "worse things happen at sea"

scientist and Kelvin Cunnington like this.
  6. Kelvin Cunnington

Kelvin Cunnington Well-Known Member

Sorry to hear that - you just never know what is going on under everyone's surface.
    There are better times ahead.

7. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I made some toast. It was perfect. Not burned at all, crust was firm and the rest soft.

Got butter from fridge, frozen solid. Scraped butter with knife and tried to butter the toast. No good. Toast got ripped apart.

Michael Mitchell, Niche and Gockie like this.
  8. shelleykins

shelleykins Well-Known Member

How are things going for you now Spludgey? Hopefully time has improved things :)

spludgey, JetstreamVic and Firefly99 like this.
  9. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Thanks, on the up and up currently!
    Slightly new job with a new boss who actually what I do.
    I've been loving covid (not covid itself obviously) I get to spend over an hour a day more with my family than I used to. No more sitting in traffic, etc.
    My stress levels have at least halved.

Some minor issues with IPs, but half of them are managed by a fantastic PM (if anyone needs a PM in northern Adelaide, message me).

Stress levels will no doubt be going up a little bit, as child #2 is due in September, but it'll be good stress (for the most part), so it's all good! :)

If it gets too much, I've got 30 days annual leave and 45 days long service leave up my sleeve.

As for having things on my plate, that hasn't really reduced that much, given I've started a small business on the side (not a great money earner, but I'm enjoying it so far).
    Plus I'm looking at doing my first development soon.

But the things on my plate aren't really bothering me that much currently.
    And to top it off, we're in the middle of refinancing, which will reduce repayments by $24k/year, which reduces my concerns about going down to a single income a fair bit.

Thanks for following up! :)

shelleykins and Sackie like this.
  10. shelleykins

shelleykins Well-Known Member

Hope the new addition is settling in well, I suspect you'll be reading this in about an hour when you're up for a change and feed :):rolleyes:.

Good to hear things have improved with you!

Last edited: 2nd Oct, 2021
  11. 29349

29349 Well-Known Member

My plate is a beautiful fresh lettuce salad but lurking underneath are a tiny poisonous scorpion and snake. The chef mashed up some red hot salsa and threw it on top.

So I made my own salad.