What's next for Brisbane jobs

Discussion in 'Property Market Economics' started by JDP1, 16th Nov, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Tags:
  1. hash_investor

hash_investor Well-Known Member

I second that. I am based in Sydney but I receive calls from Brisbane quite often. The recruiters up there are very keen to take people from interstate unlike in victoria. May be they don't have enough candidates in qld ...

JDP1 and nluo like this.
  2. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Yes, always plenty going on here if you are on the ground. IT in Brisbane has always delivered for me; never been out of work in the last 10+ years, and always walked into the next job. I wouldn't get paid that much more down south either. Plenty of opportunities if you have the right skills.

Can be hard to find suitably qualified people at times, so I can see how recruiters may start looking further afield.

Whitecat and nluo like this.
  3. Kangabanga

Kangabanga Well-Known Member

Yep thats one of the biggies, which will eventually blow up in everyone's faces since no one is really fixing this problem and just kicking the can down the road.

IMHO any credit rating downgrade is bad but as shown by downgrades in countries like UK and USA, medium to longer term its still business as usual so long as you are not downgraded a lot like to junk status.

The debt we have so long as its internal, just like china's, can be contained to a certain degree. RBA can always "print more money" or reduce rates, all that quantitative easing nonsense, just that the currency would be devalued. Usually its foreign owned debt that can cause problems in the financial system and cause crisis and be very difficult to contain.

The economy of both WA and QLD have more downside to go starting this month as China is once again reigning in its property market , reopened its mines and cutting steel production. Iron ore has had a big fall since the start of the year to $60+ now and will be on a sustained downtrend in the short term.

Unless the bigwigs in Beijing decide to change their mind again and prop up their property sector with more credit again (unlikely for next half year at least) we are looking at a recession type scenario coming into the next half year especially if Syd/Melb property/construction sectors finally peak out and have sustained declines.

Yeah IT is good, I'm in healthcare and havent had a problem getting work either. ;D but for many others that might not be the case.

#not looking good again.

4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

I agree with some of the above..I'm not a recruiter. But am sure work in a lot of fields has increased the last few months. I can speak only for Brisbane.. Not necessarily the rest of qld.

5. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

We are a welcoming bunch up here...just bring Mexican pesos as a condition of entry and all shall be good :D

6. JL1

JL1 Well-Known Member

One of the big problems with a credit downgrade is that the government has to pay a higher interest rate on debt, whether it be payouts to foreign loans or its government bond ratings.

I'm quite astounded that the rate of spending has been so extreme for so long, its like the fiscal stimulus of the GFC never stopped. I don't see debt getting paid down (and I don't think there is a dire need to do so), but the rate of spending needs to slow. $50bn a year does a lot for an economy, and squaring that up will require more than trimming back a few costs here and there. No doubt infrastructure projects will be delayed, and I'm sure there is hope of some new sources of tax revenue (probably part of the push to review taxes of large tech companies).

I'm very interested to see what the May budget brings.