ASX Shares What's looking cheap on the ASX in 2019?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Alex Straker, 11th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ross100

ross100 Well-Known Member

Had bought it few years back and sold it $11 should i have waited ...

2. Frank Manno

Frank Manno Well-Known Member

Hi Lizzie ,

Mind if I ask which date you bought the shares? Or if you can’t remember then the month would do.

I just want to look at the charts for my own education.

Thanks

-Frank

3. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Would've been around July 2018 ... where I bought for $132 - down from $150-ish earlier in the year and it's peak in 2015 of over $200

Looking at last 5 years, it does seem to rise and fall - and they seem to have stabilised somewhat - so will hold and see if they come back. It's not a loss until I lock it in

4. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I've had a look at the substantial holder notices for the Blackrock buying of GOR.

Tallying the data manually their average for the 7.54% of shares on issue they now hold is somewhere around the $0.84 level. Throughout March though, they were buying in the $0.86 to $1.02 range.

https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20190329/pdf/443w2f7lc8rk35.pdf

First Gold is scheduled for sometime this quarter. Some people are speculating it will be just before the AGM on 29 May.

Now the last quarterly stated:
    • Guidance for 2019 gold production of 100,000 to 120,000 ounces (100% basis) at all‐in sustaining costs of between $1,050 and $1,150 per ounce.
    • First gold production remains on target for second half of June 2019 quarter. Gold Road is fully funded to first gold production and forecast operational requirements
    ASIC figures above are in AUD. The gold price is currently around USD $1,270 or AUD $1841 so on an ASIC of AUD $1,150 that's a margin of about AUD $691.

Note that for the project they are in a 50:50 JV with Gold Fields, but exploration is focused on 100%-owned land. They have significant exploration upside. They are spending $20M on exploration of nearby deposits this year. General strategy is to identify mineable deposits that can be quickly put on a path to production. That means good potential for future production and earnings growth over several years (subject to mineable deposits being defined). You can read up on that in their annual report but also look at their corporate presentations.

It's worth further research as I think it has good potential to head into the mid-tier gold-miner space in a 3 to 5-year time frame ( $2B+ ), future potential for takeover aside.

Screen Shot 2019-05-03 at 8.34.26 pm.png

5. Lemmy a fiver

Lemmy a fiver Well-Known Member

Hi @wombat777,

I hold GOR. Do you currently?
    Bought my first tranche in Dec '15 & have added a few times since.
    My current average in is now $0.6112
    I personally won't be adding further, only as I'd rather speculate on where I 'think' upside % gains will potentially be greater than what GOR will rise % wise in the future.
    Its my belief they won't have any chance to become any sort of stand alone mid-tier producer in a few years.
    They will be swallowed up instead.
    But lets see how it all pans out.

6. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I think best buying is under $1. I started buying last year. Bought my first parcels under $0.80.

Incidentally Blackrock who are now a substantial holder have an average that seems to be around $0.84. Their latest buying ( from their last substantial holder notice ) seems to be at an average of $1

My general strategy for it is to free-carry at some point and roll profit into another ASX300 stock. Hold the rest for long-term ( or until a TO occurs ).

They do have significant exploration upside on 100%-owned ground and from memory 90% of their $20M exploration budget this year is on 100%-owned ground to define other mineable deposits that the can quickly progress through development studies.

GOR was the biggest holding in my super until the Wesfarmers bid for KDR appeared.

7. Lemmy a fiver

@wombat777
    I rode KDR up for 18 months but sold out late '17 for $1.41
    I left a lot of money on the table in the months after that.
    But the family wanted an inground pool/decking/pool house at the time.
    The after tax money to pay for that had to come from somewhere, so I chose KDR back then to offload.

8. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Might try to pick up some RWC after to-days 25% drop for a the long term been waiting for this for a while . I think it is cheap enough now.

Brumbie likes this.
  9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

That was after a big earnings downgrade. It was a very sudden drop in price, though a much bigger drop than the percentage of earnings downgrade.

Edit: this was not meant as any sort of criticism. As a general point, how do investors here think about earnings downgrades, particularly when they haven't been anticipated? Is it time to take advantage of the dip in price, or is it a signal to sell or stay away?

Last edited: 13th May, 2019
  10. Danieljk101

Danieljk101 Well-Known Member

Anyone have eyes on Aussie uranium companies? The uranium market as a whole is due for a major upswing in the next few years.

PDN, BMN, DYL, PEN are all way, way, wayyyy down from there previous ATH’s at last uranium bull market.

11. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

Anyone taking a punt on AMP at the moment? Stock price down to sub $2.10.

12. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Definetly not.

Froxy likes this.
  13. dranzer

dranzer Member

Maybe not exactly cheap by P/E standards (17.0 pre recent dividend, 13.50 currently), but I did put a few grand on MQG. My first direct share investment - a small part of my small portfolio.

14. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

If anyone does buy in on the conservative long--term side ,they will be waiting a while for the unit price too go above the previous high,much the same as CBA as it climbs again into the 95 previous high..imho..

15. Lacrim

Lacrim Well-Known Member

At $2.10, you won't need it to go anywhere near its previous high.

16. devank

devank Well-Known Member

You must be laughing now. Did you keep ISX?

17. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

*Sob* nope. A stop loss was triggered and I sold for 0.175. it is now 0.68.

Oh well.

Cheers,
    Inertia

18. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Oh well... I sold them all between 20-35 cents in stages.

19. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Buy umbrellas when the sun is shinning I see it as ducks linning up .. It is cyclical. Construction is still going to happen even if it is delayed, a freeze is still going to happen in the USA even if it didn't happen this year. Demand just gets pent up. Nothing fundamental has changed still have patented quality products that saves time and costs .

20. Lemmy a fiver

Yes, been on my radar for awhile now.
    I have positions in BMN, BOE, DYL, PDN, PEN, TOE & VMY.
    My position sizes in each vary in % due to situated jurisdiction, management cash burn, grade, pounds in the ground etc.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.