ASX Shares What's looking cheap on the ASX in 2019?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by Alex Straker, 11th Jan, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Alex Straker

Alex Straker Financial Life Coach Business Member

{Note from mods - this thread continued from here: What's looking cheap on the ASX in 2018?}

@devank Fantastic brother!! 16.7% in 2 days ain't too shabby ;)

Plenty more potential in CUV too.

Depending on your goals and how you like to think, here is one strategy option: When we get these rapid gains like off this entry I often take part profit and leave the remaining position in place with a stop loss set to protect profit but allow for further upside. Depending on how the patterns unfold and if the stock still qualifies as a buy with my system I will then aim to re-buy the stock I sold at a better price point again. With stocks that are on the shortlist for accumulating this is a great way to increase holdings rapidly called campaigning in to a stock. I have campaigned CUV successfully 3 times in the last 6 months, have taken part profit a few times with some monster sized gains already and all retained entries are also in profit.

No advice

Last edited by a moderator: 28th Jan, 2019
    Kassy, devank and Brady like this.
  2. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

Developer goldies GOR and EGA are worth a look for medium-term upside ( 12 to 36 months ) but do some research on these and producers with similar scale projects.

Gold Road Resources (GOR) - For best understanding of current status, watch the video below but here is a quick summary:
    • Latest presentation: https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20181211/pdf/44145jktrp13sv.pdf
    • 50% : 50% JV with Gold Fields ( so a 50% share of revenue ), but exploration upside outside of the JV
    • Gold Road down to the last 10% of work for the construction of their mine.
    • Still on track for first gold production in Q2 of 2019.
    • Project updates in next couple of weeks.
    • Expect to be at nameplate production capacity by end of year.
    • Have a look at peer market caps for SAR, SBM and RRL ( MCAPs $2.3B to $2.4M ... GOR will have similar production capacity but 50% ownership of the project which implies significant upside from current MCAP of $610M

Egan Street Resources (EGA)
    My general plan with these is to free carry and then roll profits into other growth stocks or LICs.

Redwing and trinity168 like this.
  3. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

4. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

@wombat777 I have friends working at Gruyere Gold Mine construction link

wombat777 likes this.
  5. almostthere

almostthere Well-Known Member

Had you kept for 2 more months, you would be sitting on a cool 55% profit Buy and hold always win

6. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

Tell that to my portfolio!

Cheers,
    Inertia

7. petewargent

petewargent Buyer's Agent

$AFG and $MOC Mortgage Choice: potentially...

Not advice etc.!

8. devank

devank Well-Known Member

True.. things can go the other way as well. I prefer to take smaller profits if I can avoid big drops. Still experimenting and playing the field. Not ready to settle down yet ;)

9. trinity168

trinity168 Well-Known Member

Ahh the benefit of hindsight! Good work @devank :)

devank likes this.
  10. wombat777

Another goldie I'm tracking is EGA. Approvals and finance for their small underground gold mine need to be in the next 1-2 months for them to meet their planned construction timeline. See page 14 of the following link: https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20190212/pdf/442k4rbzs5hrzv.pdf

I saw their presentation at an investment conference in Sydney last week. Also had a chance to speak to them. Have a good pipeline of drill targets to significantly expand their resource. Once they get into construction on the basis of their current resource cashflow will enable them to self-fund exploration to grow the resources/reserves and life of mine.

https://www.asx.com.au/asxpdf/20190212/pdf/442k7vvvsyw5w6.pdf

On peer producer metrics their share price should progressively rerate as they construct and then commission the mine.

Look at PNR for a gold producer with a similar level of production to EGA's planned level of production. MCAP $206M (but a bigger resource) on similar production levels. EGA MCAP $33M. Gives some perspective on potential scale of a rerate. Remember it is primarily EBITDA and NPAT that drive sentiment and share prices.

Gold price is heading north. Goldies are attracting strong sentiment as the price of gold rises.

Last edited: 20th Feb, 2019
  11. Sannie

Sannie Well-Known Member

Is AFG or MOC still cheap? Anybody looking at or recently bought them what is the rationalebehind the purchase. I am only trying to understand the data available in comm Sec.

12. wombat777

GOR has been running for days.

Countdown to first gold production in Q2.

13. Silverson

Silverson Well-Known Member

Call me crazy but as a buy and hold investor LLC in my opinion is looking like a good top up or buy target. Listed since the early 1960's, fallen out of favour with the engineering part of the company dropping the ball and now a potential class action due to misleading claims from management (apparently). I've bought afew more parcels over the last few months. As a long term play i rate Lend Lease.
    Thoughts?

Zenith Chaos likes this.
  14. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

Surprised re: Wesfarmers' $1.5 billion bid for rare earths miner Lynas Corp

15. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Kicking myself for following some advice on last years' thread ... BKL down 30% on what I paid - which was still cheaper than the previous 12 months average.

Wishing I'd bought more FMG instead

16. CheckMate

CheckMate Well-Known Member

Well I followed some advise on MUS here and lost 99.9% of my investment. I learnt my lesson to do my own DD and not trust some anonymous advises online. In a matter of fact I just don't invest in individual stocks anymore because I'm too lazy to do my own DD.

17. inertia

inertia Well-Known Member

My lesson was also to lock in profit! The mistake I was making was holding on too long. My recent activity has been much more successful.

Cheers,
    Inertia.

18. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

Nobody on this site is allowed or licensed to give "advice" on stock investments.

You should not be following anything posted here (or anywhere else for that matter) without doing your own due diligence and having a complete understanding of what you are investing in.

This applies to both property and shares and other financial products.

If you feel someone is actually giving "advice" (as opposed to education or opinion), then please report it to the moderators so we can investigate.

oracle and Kassy like this.
  19. CheckMate

CheckMate Well-Known Member

Believe me I don't blame anyone but my own stupidity.

20. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

My poor working. It was a recommendation (not advice) ... I did do my own research and thought, being below the 12 months average they were a good buy and purchasing was no one's fault but my own.

Just lamenting a little as hate to make a loss on anything

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.