ASX Shares What's looking cheap on the ASX in 2017?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by radson, 2nd Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

I like BGS

Cactus likes this.
  2. Speede

Speede Well-Known Member

Going to buy huge BGS when/if a pull back happens.

3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Been following bgs over the past couple months. I'll be in next week along with kdr

4. Scaphella

Scaphella Well-Known Member

BXN the next A2M...?

5. r3ckless

r3ckless Well-Known Member

JUst purchased NAB. $30k worth.
    - plan to sell by Xmas
    - average over last 10 years, banks have rallied 8.4% in December

KayTea and Francesco like this.
  6. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

You reckon the banks can gain 8% in just over 2 weeks?
    I read in financial that this is the rally month but with all the negative news with bank probing right now I'm thinking to back off for now.

7. r3ckless

Just a punt I guess. Felt like I didn’t do much on the investing side this year so just going to jump back in on the equities side, and “get my feet wet”

Barny likes this.
  8. r3ckless

I will start my long the banks next year and build up my equity portfolio next year. Long term view but the royal commission is when I’ll start building up

9. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

I did just buy a little more cla today, along with bgs but I think it will fall a little more, and avl. Advisor reckons avl will hit 40c by next year.
    Can't believe I'm gambling here, anyhow small amounts that I can afford to loose as I've written it off, and if it succeeds the winnings will go into the lic's.

KayTea and L3ha7 like this.
  10. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Yep me too

Butterfly88 likes this.
  11. r3ckless

bank's divvies paid today. guys be buying into banks to deploy their capital for the xmas break!

will sell NAB at $33 by 01/05!

12. Redwing

Redwing Well-Known Member

ASX Stocks 2017

Any stock pickers do well overall (wins and losses) for 2017

13. L3ha7

L3ha7 Well-Known Member

Because of PC-for the first time bought 5 LiIC's along with some other shares and made some money by selling CCP, XRO,CWN, MPL and QAN.

Overall very good year.

KayTea, Redwing and PJ1 like this.
  14. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Did you hop on board before the announcement Barny, one of many to come I would think? Maybe @Alex Straker could run his arc ruler over it.

Ardi likes this.
  15. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

Purchased at 0.56, up 18% since. See how it play sports out

16. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

Dividend paying shares suck. If a company is worth investing in the best return on earnings will be by having it re invested in the company and compounding growth. Just getting a 6% dividend wont help grow your wealth, often the shares fall by more than the dividend after it goes ex. Then you have to factor in opportunity cost, or the cost of the money of say 4%, and inflation. High dividends can be achieved by falling company values. It will take a lot of dividends to make up for falls in values of dividend paying companies like EPW, TLS, WOW, PRY. CGF is the only dividend paying share I have that also got good growth. I prefer to get my 2% a day growth in companies like ALU, ALL, BAP, PPH, BWX, APX, , NAN, WTC, A2M, BAL, PME, RMD.[/QUOTE]
    For all you people who scoffed, I now rest my case, Since this post less than 2 months ago APX up 50% plus another 20% on the shares bought under the entitlement offer, PPH 60%, WTC 20%, BWX 10%, ALU 15% PME 20%, ALL 0% but up 450% in 3yrs, BAP 5 % but 85% in 3 years, NAN 0% but 100% in 2 yrs, WTC 20% and 180% in 18 months. PME 20% and 270% in 18 months, RMD 5% and 120% in 3 yrs, BAL -10% but up 400% in 2.5 yrs. A2M 13% and 330% in 2 yrs. They have gone up a lot more since September. I also bought ELO as a punt, and ACX in the last 2 months up 62% and 80%.These are shares to hold for the long term (at least 5 yr view ) the only time I sell is when they get overweight, a better opportunity appears, when the company eventually matures and growth is slowed, or to recoup my original investment effectively getting the shares for nothing. Could any dividend investors show returns like that in the last 2 months or even the last 5 years?

PJ1 likes this.
  17. 158

158 Well-Known Member

Wow, you rest your case in 2 months of a serious bull run? Have you consistently made these returns over 10 years including a bear market?

pinkboy

Hosko, sharon, trinity168 and 2 others like this.
  18. Hodor

Hodor Well-Known Member

A concentrated portfolio of growth companies is absolutely the best way to go. Unfortunately over the long term it is almost impossible to pick them, if it could be easily done the returns would be priced in in advance somewhat. If you can pick these companies consistently you will do exceptionally well and best of luck to you for developing the skills etc necessary.

Making sensational claims like;

Won't help build your credibility and invites criticism. Only your best pick made that return and not compounding.

There are two kinds of dividend investors, those that seek immediate "spot yield" and those that try to identify companies that are likely to have a growing (far above inflation) dividend over the next 30 plus years, the initial yield is often lower. The second kind of methodology has in the past shown above index returns and been easier to find for the majority over pure growth plays.

Keep posting your picks for growth plays as some here will be following with interest.

19. Francesco

Francesco Well-Known Member

For all you people who scoffed, I now rest my case, Since this post less than 2 months ago APX up 50% plus another 20% on the shares bought under the entitlement offer, PPH 60%, WTC 20%, BWX 10%, ALU 15% PME 20%, ALL 0% but up 450% in 3yrs, BAP 5 % but 85% in 3 years, NAN 0% but 100% in 2 yrs, WTC 20% and 180% in 18 months. PME 20% and 270% in 18 months, RMD 5% and 120% in 3 yrs, BAL -10% but up 400% in 2.5 yrs. A2M 13% and 330% in 2 yrs. They have gone up a lot more since September. I also bought ELO as a punt, and ACX in the last 2 months up 62% and 80%.These are shares to hold for the long term (at least 5 yr view ) the only time I sell is when they get overweight, a better opportunity appears, when the company eventually matures and growth is slowed, or to recoup my original investment effectively getting the shares for nothing. Could any dividend investors show returns like that in the last 2 months or even the last 5 years?[/QUOTE]

Well done on great investment outcome!

Not many people can duplicate the type of portfolio you managed to put together, but many people can easily put together a high dividend paying portfolio. The crux is how to spot candidate shares that will be appreciating fabulously. Your case as an example is peculiar if you or no one else can reproduce a similar outcome.

20. Pier1

Pier1 Well-Known Member

Hope you put your seatbelt on, are you LT with this Barny or trading?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.