ASX Shares What's looking cheap on the ASX in 2017?

Discussion in 'Shares & Funds' started by radson, 2nd Jan, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. devank

devank Well-Known Member

2. LIDM

LIDM Well-Known Member

Yep me too - is there a decent replacement for this out there?

3. Barny

Barny Well-Known Member

My only speculative stock cla is booming. Got in at the right time, 15% in less than 48hrs. Hoping for 300% return within a year or bust.

4. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Lol. Back to the shop.

I sold out of the lot this morning. Somewhere north of 50k loss, still working it out.

The rubies are real, but I heard a rumour that the board is essentially hiding them to take this company private then take the real money.

Ouga, apk, pippen and 1 other person like this.
  5. Danny370z

Danny370z Well-Known Member

@Ouga what are you best performing Dividends ? if you dont mind me asking. I have only invested in Spec stocks but looking at parking some coin in a few ASX top 200 for the divys

6. Vassago

Vassago Well-Known Member

That sounds like a pretty far fetched conspiracy theory to me. The board has large holdings and direct investments in the licences, they would be better off if the public listed company did well.

thydzik likes this.
  7. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Hi mate, I just use the old school LICs discussed here at length (Arg, afi, mlt). PMC offers international exposure with good dividends so I have some.
    Have a look at the LICs beginners guide for a good and detailed explanation (there is a thread about it in the other asset clas section of the forum).

sharon likes this.
  8. BKRinvesting

BKRinvesting Well-Known Member

Damn... mine too.
    Know of any alternatives?

9. Fargo

Fargo Well-Known Member

[QUOTE="Ouga, post: 490575,
    I have a small holding in NUH, but if it went to 0 tomorrow I would not miss it. Any serious cash goes into diversified vehicles. The way I think about it: if my goal is a passive income of say $100k per year and I have say $100k to invest, I can earn $6K per year with old school LICs from that $100k, so I am 6% in towards my income goal.
    Every $1k I can earn in dividends is 1% towards my income goal and I always try and remember that when investing in anything else than my chosen diversified vehicles.[/QUOTE]
    Dividend paying shares suck. If a company is worth investing in the best return on earnings will be by having it re invested in the company and compounding growth. Just getting a 6% dividend wont help grow your wealth, often the shares fall by more than the dividend after it goes ex. Then you have to factor in opportunity cost, or the cost of the money of say 4%, and inflation. High dividends can be achieved by falling company values. It will take a lot of dividends to make up for falls in values of dividend paying companies like EPW, TLS, WOW, PRY. CGF is the only dividend paying share I have that also got good growth. I prefer to get my 2% a day growth in companies like ALU, ALL, BAP, PPH, BWX, APX, , NAN, WTC, A2M, BAL, PME, RMD.

10. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Oh yeah as long as you can consistently pick the winners early on and exit at opportune times that is great.
    Me, I am too dumb for that so I stick with reliable income instead.

Observer likes this.
  11. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Well I am still coming to terms with my paper loss on this which is well north of yours. Eeek.

I learnt a valuable lesson here in getting carried away with the hype. Makes me annoyed though as previously on far less Invested I have continually sold out early and watched shares like pls gxy auz avz go bananas after my exit so I told myself I wouldn't do that here. Unfortunately I didn't stick to my plan of taking a free equity position and instead continued to average up.

I will survive but it hurts to waste so much money.

I'd like to know where your rumour came from, it sounds like unsubstantiated crap though to be honest. Whilst it seems impossible a company could accidentally stuff up so badly, the more I think about it the more I realise it's not. Wish I had that clarity of Thought before When I thought it was a no brainer.

Sadly it's not really worth me selling my shares, so I will Hold In hope Of a bounce before the next auction or pre July realise the loss.

MikeyM, Nlang, Blacky and 2 others like this.
  12. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Yeah, dividend paying stocks really suck:rolleyes:. Investing for dividends doesn’t mean just investing in high dividend “payers” but also dividend “growers” which is what the LICs do. And it seems picking growth stocks is an easy, low risk winning strategy? Some of us have been there, done that!

Here’s a 20 year Accumulation chart of some of the older LICs vs supposeably one of the best internal growth compounders (doesn’t pay dividends) in the world, Buffet’s Berkshire Hathaway (BRK). Tax of course isn’t payable on BRK until capital is realised. BUT the chart doesn’t include franking credits which would help cover a decent amount of tax payable for many investors. And the long term investor can hold the LICs in Super where around half the franking credits get refunded improving the LIC’s performance on the chart below:
    FAD6AFF0-017D-4CEC-A84C-4985AE07D6C8.png
    Australian LICs versus Berkshire Hathaway - Cuffelinks

And another chart of simply investing in the index noting the higher, more reliable dividend paying Industrials (from ASX 200) Index. Again dividends reinvested but franking credits NOT included:
    3367F28F-1EA8-4B4E-9C03-FDB824200FBF.png

And by simply investing in Industrials only LIC WHF one could have outperformed the Industrial Index:
    7923CDC9-6EF7-4424-BC22-990767FEC051.png
    I don’t know why I waste my time even replying to these type of posts anymore. Like others here retired very comfortably on dividends, I should know better now than to bother.

Not licensed to give advice.

Last edited: 4th Nov, 2017
    el caballo, thydzik, Snowball and 7 others like this.
  13. sharon

sharon Well-Known Member

@Nodrog - I love the charts and the repetition - don't stop. It really does embed it into my brain to read it over and over.

14. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

When it comes to the sharemarket the future doesn’t always equal the past but nobody knows the future so the past is all that we’ve got to go on.

Observer and sharon like this.
  15. Blacky

Blacky Well-Known Member

Cactus - sorry to hear it.

Good to see that you are taking a practical view point, and intend on learning from mistakes. Sometimes it takes a painful hit, to save you from yourself. Who knows, had this one been winner, you could well have gone in over confident on the next one and blown the lot.

I'm glad I sat on the sidelines, but watching the show and not getting into the hype was hard. I took similar hits on hype in my earlier years (racked up a $20,000 credit card bill chasing a winning stock). So I kind of know how it feels. But its all so easy in hindsite.

I always remember an old friend saying "you never lose money taking a profit".

Blacky

Hosko, Observer, Cactus and 4 others like this.
  16. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

Believe me I’ve made a lot of worse mistakes in the market than that when younger. I’m a slow learner:(.

I couldn’t be told, thought I was too smart and education / psychology would make me a trading success. Many of us only learn through experiencing the pain ourselves. I’m a lot better investor now from making these mistakes but glad I made them whilst young and time was still on my side. Start messing with speculation in retirement and the outcome could be very painful. Money gone, no time to repair the damage!

17. devank

devank Well-Known Member

Yes, I remember you saying the similar thing when I said "I come in late and get out early". I did the same here but that's not because I knew better. That's simply because I know that I don't know the fundamentals.

Cactus likes this.
  18. Nlang

Nlang Well-Known Member

Is this the lic thread now?

Cactus likes this.
  19. Nodrog

Nodrog Well-Known Member

World domination is our goal:p.

But seriously, sorry yes you’re right. My apologies for those of us who took this thread off track. I’ll retreat back to my rightful home being the LIC thread:oops:.

Nlang likes this.
  20. Nlang

Nlang Well-Known Member

And good riddance

Just kidding

Lics are great and I have a few i am a massive fan but get back in your holes you lic evangelists!!!

wombat777 and Nodrog like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.