QLD What's it like living on the Sunshine Coast?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jamie Moore, 24th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

At the risk of taking the thread off track - no tracking, no stack.

30 second shutter priority (maximum time possible without streaking) and didn't even use RAW files....
    Post work using standard windows photo edit (brightness, contrast, colour temp)

The photos with the trees I cheated - I shone a torch around while the shutter was open to light up the foreground.

The Y-man

Ouga likes this.
  2. The Y-man

Yeah, it's funny, I have never actually been to Harvey Bay itself. Our church farm is actually in Burrum Heads, and I have never really seen outside of it other than the road going to the Bruce Hwy in all the numerous times I have been there :eek:. One day....

The Y-man

3. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

It's ok - I forgive you. I love photography too - so this works out well :)

Cheers

Jamie

4. Indifference

Indifference Well-Known Member

Hervey Bay region is currently our front runner for the next lifecycle stage (50 & beyond)... still got quite a few years to go until the big five 0 but that'll likely be our base station locale well into twilight years. The climate, relaxed lifestyle & relative proximity to Brisbane (for international travel mainly) are all big positives. The Sunshine Coast is getting too congested & touristy for our liking.

5. Ed Barton

Ed Barton Well-Known Member

What sort of church has a farm? Are you Amish?

6. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

the rich ones?

7. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

Must admit I've never been, but will check this out. I'm looking for somewhere easy going, non touristy where I can book say 3 months accommodation over the early winter for a couple and a dog..maybe a cabin in a dog friendly site.

8. Mumbai

Mumbai Well-Known Member

They are better in Sydney

I prefer cold but not Canbrrr cold, so again Sydney.

And Sydney beats both on food.

Do I have to keep continuing?

;)

9. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

Not necessarily. Sometimes people bequeath land to the church. Like Glebe in Sydney. The word glebe means land bequested to a church.

10. The Y-man

Almost ;)

The Y-man

11. Ed Barton

Ralien then?

The Y-man likes this.
  12. Terry_w

Terry_w Lawyer, Tax Adviser and Mortgage broker in Sydney Business Member

I have a friend that rents his place out in Sydney worth $800k and bought a comparable property on the gold cost for $320,000 and lives up there now.

One disadvantage he tells me is overseas flights from up there are more expensive. and they also take longer to get to the destination (e.g bangkok) despite being closer.

Foxy Moron likes this.
  13. Ed Barton

They may be more expensive because some of the cheap airlines don't come to Brisbane - less competition. Direct flights are marginally shorter from Brisbane than Sydney. Some/many flights you have to go via Sydney anyway.

There are a limited number of international flights out of the Gold Coast. You have to leave from BNE for most - that adds an hour. I've seen some ridiculously cheap fares in the paper on Scoot - $169 to Singapore and around $200 for most of Asia.

Terry_w likes this.
  14. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Confirmation that Perigian Springs Golf Club has gone into receivership. Property prices will undoubtedly suffer. Particularly those backing onto the course itself. Keep an eye on prices and snatch a corrected bargain shortly.

chindonly, Angel and Jamie Moore like this.
  15. Sonamic

For investors.

The Caloundra and Maroochydore areas both attract the lowest vacancy rate in the State. That being 1%.

16. luckystar

luckystar Well-Known Member

The market is mirroring what is happening in the GC without the apartment construction extent. Also food scene is booming as GC

17. Westminster

Westminster Tigress at Tiger Developments Business Member

I know little about Sunshine Coast but my Perth builder is based there so I see a lot of the Estate stuff. Birtinya is one of my favourites and is very close to the coast but quite high density with small lots - depends what you are looking for for the fam and your lifestyle goals
    Caloundra is getting a lot of new stuff and has been heavily marketed here and overseas. Aura is probably the main one.

18. Tyler Durden

Tyler Durden Well-Known Member

That one has been on the cards for a few years, I don't think anyone really believed they would find the cash or a buyer. I'm not sure about bargain hunting, if you had to be that far from the ocean then I'd be looking another 5mins west for something much more private without the meth and bong heads. Peregian Springs now has all of the riff-raff that have been driven out of Coolum by that tight vacancy rate you mentioned earlier. ;)

With the golf course gone, comparatively speaking it's going to be quite the slum. Longer-term owners know this that's why they've been fighting tooth and nail against the proposed planning changes to reuse the golf course land for more housing. The estate opening up on the old cattle farm land off Mt Emu road isn't going to help either, plenty of room for expansion east along Murdering Creek rd too. I remember back in the day with no one wanted to live out there, dusty from the dirt road in, Lake Weyba mozzies that would carry you away and obviously flood prone. The old Peregian school bus was a classic, it was the only vehicle that could take the punishment back when Murdering Creek Rd was open to Woodland Drive....Fond memories of when the coast really was something special. :)

Last edited by a moderator: 7th Aug, 2016
  19. Sonamic

Agreed Perigian Springs will become more ghetto. East of the Motorway will continue to be more desirable. East side PPOR. West Side yo for IP's. ;)

20. Sonamic

I see Pat Rafter is selling his Sunshine Beach property for a cool 18mill. I wonder if he'll pull that much. . . .

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia