QLD What's it like living on the Sunshine Coast?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by Jamie Moore, 24th Jul, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

Hey guys

This ones for those PCer's living on the Sunshine Coast.

How's life treating you?

I don't know if it's the Canberra weather, a recent holiday up in QLD or just ready for a change - but the Sunshine Coast (Noosa surrounds in particular) appeals to us (wife and I).

We like the weather (haven't experienced it in summer yet - and I know it's going to be really humid), the beaches/rivers/outdoors - and the people have a pretty relaxed vibe too (granted I'm probably only chatting with other holiday makers!)

Any recommendations on suburbs to consider for a young family? Ideally something close to a decent school and isn't too busy with tourists - we'd prefer beach instead of hinterland. From that I've seen - Peregian looks like a decent option.

Long story short - just wondering if anyone with local insight could give me the heads up on some suburbs to look into? Not so much to purchase a property - more so for general livability for a family with young kids.

Cheers

Jamie

Pumpkin, EN710 and MJS1034 like this.
  2. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Peregian Beach is very beautiful, isn't it.

3. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Yes peregrian beach is good but already a bit pricey. Caloundra is also nice i found. Not that cheap to get good stuff though.

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

I was at our Noosa office on Friday and Saturday. Tewantin is next to Noosaville, it is very affordable but has a great feel still. My sister has lived there for 17 years. I picked her up and took her into hastings street for coffee on Saturday morning, wouldn't be more than 10 mins from Tewantin to Hastings st.

We were discussing living up there. My wife and I could absolutely live there, but our kids are in a great primary and great high school in Brisbane and we won't be going there until the school years are over. My sister and her husband were saying that even after living there for 17 years it still feels like being on holidays. They have everything they need up there, the drawback is that their family in Brisbane is 1 and 1/2 to 2 hours away.

Gockie and Jamie Moore like this.
  5. Bran

Bran Well-Known Member

Check out the suburbs/beaches around Caloundra too.

Jamie Moore likes this.
  6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I have an old colleague who lives in Tewatin. The biggest draw back is no NBN or adsl due to distance.

It's regional and expect a lack of services.

7. RPI

RPI SDA Provider, Town Planner, Former Property Lawyer

That is the case now and very annoying. Noosaville has decent speed at present. In Tewantin I use my 4G data.

BUT Pomona is about to get the NBN, which I assume is going to spread into Tewantin. IINET/TPG are putting backbone fiber between vodafone towers and Telstra exchanges through Noosa, Noosaville and out to Tewantin this backbone will also provide EFM speeds to internet users along the way.

8. bob shovel

bob shovel Well-Known Member

Come on those queenslanders are a bit behind but they're all out fishing and surfing. Dial up will do!

I have family at tewantin, i like it. Great spot close enough to the fancyness of noosa but without the smelly backpackers and Wayne Kerrs on Hastings :p
    Close to the beach and river, everyone owns a boat of course and seem friendly

9. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

We had a brief holiday around Coolum and really liked that area. It was raining when we were at Peregian so didn't see much. Does anyone have any thoughts on Yandina? I know it's inland, but seems a bit cheaper. Interested in the H& L packages there at the moment.

10. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Just about to settle a property on beautiful Bribie Island. Still affordable and close to Brisbane

Pumpkin likes this.
  11. EN710

EN710 Well-Known Member

Visited Sunshine Coast last year mainly Maroochydore and Caloundra. Nice atmosphere and relaxing, but I think they are far too quiet as I am used to Sydney. Will be perfect for people who likes quiet and peaceful place though :) I'm not there yet

12. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Mr Angel and I used to spend a lot of time in Caloundra as kids and we used to say we would move there one day. These days Mooloolaba and Caloundra are way too busy for us. Toorbul (near Caboolture) and Pomona are more our pace. About 25 years ago we came really close to relocating to Coolum/Sunshine Beach/Perigian.

13. Sonamic

Sonamic Well-Known Member

Perigian Springs is about to have a price dip I hear.

Other places here 600k can get you near new 4 bed 2 bath dlug with pool close to good schools and amenities within a couple of minutes of the beach. Or something a bit smaller if you want to be able to walk to the beach.

14. Jamie Moore

Hey @Sonamic

Do you live in Peregian?

What's the deal with Peregian springs? Just an oversupply of land?

Cheers

Jamie

15. Ouga

Ouga Well-Known Member

"Trying is the first step towards failure" Homer
    Any areas to avoid? What are the rougher areas on the Sunshine Coast?

16. Heinz57

Heinz57 Well-Known Member

Some of the canal estates used to have rat infestations...that's pretty rough

17. Kassy

Kassy Well-Known Member

Hi,

My sister lives in Caloundra and loves it. She is a teacher and says there are some great schools up there. As a Brisbanite transplanted to Canberra, I also find the weather here hard to deal with. Good luck with the move if you decide to go ahead! I'll be totally jealous!

Kassy

18. Jamie Moore

It's the single biggest issue I have with Canberra. I think it's a great place - lots going for it that people don't give it credit for....but the winters are just brutal. We have some lovely days when the sun comes out - but the rainy/overcast days are just blah. Maybe I just need to leave for winter :)

Cheers

Jamie

Perthguy likes this.
  19. Nemo30

Nemo30 Well-Known Member

I left Canberra earlier this year.

As much as i love Canberra i highly recommend a move to somewhere warmer. Do it!

ellejay likes this.
  20. ellejay

ellejay Well-Known Member

I think your weather must be similar to ours in SE Vic. The summer goes on for months, so hot and sunny..really amazing. Seriously though, it's been cloudy for 2 months flat. Started raining about a month ago and hasn't stopped. Winter was okay last year but the locals are saying this is more like normal. No way am I staying here next winter, just working out a good place to head off to :mad: Sunny Coast sounds like a perfect family move. I really love Canberra too, but the cold seems to get harder ro deal with. The only thing that I'm not sure about is rainfall on the coast. It looks like there's alot of rain?

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia