QLD What's going on in Brisbane?

Discussion in 'Where to Buy' started by WattleIdo, 18th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Whitecat

Whitecat Well-Known Member

I meant why the out of town agents?

2. gman65

gman65 Well-Known Member

Yes and no I think is the answer for Brisbane presently :) Suburbs like Woolloongabba do not excite me too much (or anybody I know really), and to me they are just noisy, crowded during games, not *that much* in terms of restaurants, or cafes, or the like that I could not get a bit further out. There is probably more of that in fact in a suburb like Mount Gravatt these days, or at least close by. As I get older I care less for that scene anyhow, and definitely don't want to have to live in an apartment to get access to it. Right now you can still live up to 15km out and in most areas/suburbs it takes less than 45 mins to the CBD. After about 7.30pm most of the roads are very quiet. By 9pm most people seem to be in bed! Things like Uber also make it a lot cheaper and easier to travel for a night out as well.

With Sydney, the harbor is the centre of the city and a lot of people want to live as close of possible, because, well its just nicer and more established there, and there is lots to do. With Melbourne there are many cafes, galleries, trendy and pretty things, but they are nearly all inner ring too. With Brisbane, I am not sure there is *that much* differentiation or such a big draw-card as you get closer, right now at least. A few suburbs like Paddington are that thing, but only to some people. Go to somewhere just a little bit further out to somewhere more mundane like Ashgrove, and there just isn't that much there that is anything truly unique, its just closer.

It is hard to speak for everybody, but I don't hear so much of "I'd like to live closer but I just can't afford it". Many are actually happy to live a bit further out for the better environment it offers. You also have to remember a lot of Brisbanites are very much an outdoor lifestyle people. We like going to the beach (nope none in inner Brisbane), going to the rainforests, going camping, going fishing, mountain biking, hiking, 4WD'ing, etc. All you can do most of the 12 months of the year as well. That means you travel *out* of Brisbane to relax, not travel there :)

Over time though (at least another 10 years off), I think the many of the same principals will apply to Brisbane as Sydbourne, crowded roads and public transport, along with more and more gentrification will force many of the wealthier to want to move further in. However even then I don't think that will capture everybody maybe as much as down south, as there will still not be the same benefits to Sydbourne... the boutique fashion stores/classy restaurants, galleries, the want to be "seen" in your expensive cars/clothes, working back late hours so you are often close/in the city anyhow so meet up with friends or family there. The culture still needs to change a bit more if that were to happen.

Predicting things out to the future can be a little hard, as there are so many factors.. Anyhow, my thoughts are there is just a bit of a different demographic in Brisbane, and maybe always will be.

jimmy, Noobieboy, WattleIdo and 7 others like this.
  3. Realist35

Realist35 Well-Known Member

Hi mate, I'm also potentially considering Brisbane. However looking at the trends I can't find any suburbs that are still priced at around 2010 levels. Would you mind sharing some of those suburbs?

Thanks a lot:)!

WattleIdo likes this.
  4. JDP1

JDP1 Well-Known Member

Not sure I agree fully here
    Gabba:
    YIP mobile

Mount gravatt:
    YIP mobile

Woolongabba seems to have higher cg in the last 3 years.
    Brisbane is all about being as close to the cbd as possible ex oversupplied stock and ex flood prone... For cg, ignoring any real or perceived lifestyle factors.
    This looks to almost certainly continue in the next 5years at least.

Sackie, WattleIdo and Whitecat like this.
  5. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

You are not taking into account the busways. We live approx 12km from the cbd. Bus from Garden City to Southbank or the City is around 10-15 minutes. Even in peak hours.

I can actually get to those destinations a lot quicker than friends who live 4-5k from the CBD.
    Marg

luckyone, WattleIdo and Whitecat like this.
  6. Whitecat

I respectfully disagree with this capital gains a better closer to the city they have been for a long time and also people want to live closer to the CBD it's just as important as Sydney and Melbourne people aren't as accustomed to living in apartments or townhouses to get closer to the CBD, that is a difference (they don't have to houses are cheap here) but proximity to the centre is very important.
    The idea of it doesn't really matter if I live further out just does not apply to my experience talking to many different types of brisbanites.

WattleIdo likes this.
  7. larrylarry

larrylarry Well-Known Member

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Did your brother end up buying anything? Mine is still renting.
    While I agree that an older unit needing work would be my cup of tea - or even better, a middle-ring house - it's not for everyone. There are a lot of people who just don't want to live with dust and rubble and paint fumes - they want it ready to go. Sometimes I wish I was like that too!
    If I had the funds and wasn't still renovating elsewhere, I'd be biting the bullet in Brissie now.

Angel, kierank and Sackie like this.
  10. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

+1.

Personally I see it continuing this way for the foreseeable future . I also believe type of stock is equally as important as distance to the CBD . No use buying a unit 2km from the CBD if it's in a market that's in extremely oversupply. Personally I think it's a mistake for ppl to try and compare Brisbane with Sydney and Melbourne etc. Each city's geography is unique and demographics/expectations are different imo.

Last edited: 3rd Jun, 2018
    Angel, WattleIdo and kierank like this.
  11. realestatefellow

realestatefellow Member

Hi all, can you recommend specific subsurbs in Brisbane or Queensland you think will be worth exploring? I am looking at long term growth at an affordable price point ~$450k max.

12. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

Do a search, its all there.

13. Whitecat

Strathpine. The Chinese have bought the mall. Get close to that and the train which you should be able to with your budget..watch it become the next Chermside type hub down the northern line

David Shih likes this.
  14. Whitecat

Woolloongabba is a good place to buy right now for a couple of significant reasons.

15. willair

willair Well-Known Member Premium Member

When you look at the number of houses left in a few small pockets and streets behind the German club carpark most of those streets are zoned and priced in line with the future..And that small area within 4 years will all be multi story units..

Whitecat likes this.
  16. David Shih

David Shih Mortgage Broker Business Member

Do you think Strathpine have the potential to become the next Sunnybank @Whitecat? Maybe I need to get ready to open up a Chinese takeaway there :p

@realestatefellow for your price point as Whitecat suggested, Strathpine or the areas around Strathpine or even a block near Petrie station and the forthcoming USC. $450K can get you a decent block and a house around the station if you act fast which will have huge potential long term due to the new uni and the precinct will transform once the uni sets in.

Cheers,
    David