What's behind this?

Discussion in 'PropertyChat Community & Website' started by MTR, 8th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

MTR? Sanj? Distant relatives? The moustache is very similar. HMMMM

MTR and aussieB like this.
  2. Tillie

Tillie Well-Known Member

Hi Bayview,

I recommend that you read Perp's excellent post (the one with a video) a little bit earlier in this thread.

Thanks Perp

Perp likes this.
  3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I appreciate all the different things that push people's buttons and so on.

And I appreciate how things can be misconstrued through a keyboard (I still can't get my bloody emoticons to work and I'm not learning all those bloody codes - too slow :))

But let's have a bit of context - all of us here are at the higher end of the scale I would expect; financially switched on, all adults, all intelligent, all driven to succeed and so on.

Based on all the above, I would assume that everyone here has been around the block at least once, has been the receiver of plenty of crap in life and has developed a bit of toughness...especially for here where we all know how easy it is to misinterpret what is written/said.

I just had a thought ; we need a "personal attack" emoticon, and a corresponding "I'm devastated and you've hurt my feelings" emoticon!! :)

My final word on all this is;

Get over it, get tough and learn to cop it on the chin...it's only a forum and folks tend to be tougher through the internet than they really are in real life.

There is always the "report" button.

4. aussieB

aussieB Well-Known Member

@Perp Spot on. Very well written and I have to say acute observation. Can I ask you what you do for a living ?
    From your observation and writing skills, am just guessing, do you write/author ? May be stand up comedy ?

5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Perp, I see it just as clearly as you, but I'm talking about the context of this forum.

I'm totally with you about all that privilege stuff...I get it.

I'm just saying about this forum, and offering folks a bit of advice on how to handle it from an emotional aspect, otherwise I'm sure there are those here who will get offended and it's unnecessary - in my opinion.

Just trying to diffuse things for folks for the future on this site.

6. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Long story, but after a neurological injury in the military, I've been practically bedridden with migraines for nearly 20 years, so I've had a ridiculous amount of time to think and observe. And I do write quite a bit. Got to keep the brain busy, good distraction from pain.

I crack myself up :D but am no stand-up comedian. :) (Love Louis CK and Jim Jefferies.)

7. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

• Wow, Perp that's a lot to deal with. I hope you meditate a lot?
    • Bayview you're a great guy but you need to get in touch with a few more of your emotions. I know you can do it. Black, female, poor, alcoholic parents, so what? Try deaf, blind, multiple sclerosis, family tortured and/or blown up, and worse. Now let's not get carried away but bullying is bullying. Even if it's a bunch of idiots on PC.
    • @sanj very disappointed that's not you.

Xenia likes this.
  8. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

We all have our battles to fight. Could be worse - isn't life-threatening, and thank goodness I was in the military (rather than with any other employer). So it's really just an inconvenience. As for meditating, I know how to, and always mean to, but ... :oops:

WattleIdo likes this.
  9. Simon Hampel

Simon Hampel Founder Staff Member

I'm sorry you feel that way - I don't recall ever trying to belittle you or bully you in the chatroom? I'd have to go back through the logs to see if there was anything I said which could have been misinterpreted?

Certainly wasn't my intention - and if I was a bit short, I can only apologise and point to the 38 days (and counting) straight of 16+ hour workdays (including weekends) I've been doing since the beginning of June to try and get this site fully operational - a lack of sleep might be catching up with me.

Anyway, I regret any misunderstanding - if you wish to contact me privately to discuss any grievances, please feel free to do so.

AndrewTDP, Chrispy, tobe and 2 others like this.
  10. Simon Hampel

The chatroom can tend to be a bit "wild west" at times - because of the nature of live chat, it can't be moderated in the same way that the forum is.

While I can clean up any problems on the forum after the event, the chat is real time and what is said can't be unsaid.

tobe likes this.
  11. tobe

tobe Well-Known Member

Appreciated. I haven't had much experience in chat rooms before so it was a little overwhelming. This new site has so much more to it than somersoft. I really appreciate the work you have and will continue to have to put in.

Simon Hampel likes this.
  12. jaybean

jaybean Well-Known Member

Honestly I have no idea what you're talking about. The culture on this board feels identical to Somersoft.

13. Simon Hampel

The main difference at the moment is that I'm a couple of weeks behind in getting the moderation system set up - so any issues that are reported here aren't being dealt with as quickly as they would have been on Somersoft.

Unfortunately, the moderation system here is sufficiently different to that on Somersoft that I'm going to have to spend some time tweaking it and educating the mods on how to use it - something I had hoped to have done weeks ago *sigh*

14. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

MTR, sorry to hear about the personal attacks. I certainly wouldn't like to read nasty comments on threads. Completely unacceptable.

Xenia, Perp and Tillie like this.
  15. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

Xenia likes this.
  16. MTR

MTR Well-Known Member

All good will get sorted. Thanks

Xenia, EN710 and Perthguy like this.
  17. Coota9

Coota9 Well-Known Member

@tobe

Agree with DT regarding the seagull metafore,new members posting a finance question to SS brokers
    Reminded me of clip below..all light hearted fun..

WattleIdo likes this.
  18. geoffw

geoffw Moderator Staff Member

I've been the victim of personal attacks on SS and it's not a nice feeling. Telling somebody that they should just toughen up doesn't cut it. I don't see that there is any place on the forum for personal attacks.

Continued personal attacks was a reason some former SS members were banned.

Xenia, Coota9 and Perp like this.
  19. LibGS

LibGS Well-Known Member

Then of course there is the generalised attacks from the right w(h)ingers on anything they see as left or green, and on those of us who walk that line of the political divide. I ignore most of it as I see these people as uncultured ill mannered bogans whose parents should be shamed for raising such horrible people. I am sick of it.

20. Perp

Perp Well-Known Member

Oh, c'mon, you're either a Coalition devotee or you're a useless dole bludging taker! ;)

But don't stoop to their level and start on the bogan talk, @LibGS. :)

LibGS likes this.

Build Passive Income WITHOUT Dropping $15K On Buyers Agents Each Time! Helping People Achieve PASSIVE INCOME Using Our Unique Data-Driven System, So You Can Confidently Buy Top 5% Growth & Cashflow Property, Anywhere In Australia