What's a reasonable rental increase to install fly screens?

Discussion in 'Property Management' started by Foxdan, 2nd Feb, 2016.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Azazel

Azazel Well-Known Member

Depending on the location, it's probably justified regardless.

2. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

We've installed security bars for tenants when requested (after local break ins) because it made the house more attractive for the next tenants. For these tenants I would loved to have said "no" because they were a PITA. But we did it for the house, not for them. We couldn't wait to see the back of them.

We do what we can to help tenants, and our tenants are almost our friends now. Some of our tenants ARE our friends now. One family (our painter) might be coming here for brekky tomorrow.

I cannot emphasise how much our tenants like the way we run our "business", are approachable, listen to them, act immediately on anything that needs fixing (two air-con remotes unresponsive just this past week so we arranged service and new remotes at the same time, one HWS acted on within half an hour of us hearing about it). They appreciate it and they in turn do the right thing by us.

D.T. and WattleIdo like this.
  3. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Another point to consider when looking at whether tenant requests are repairs or improvements is the fact you are adding value.

Adding an A/C, new floor coverings, screens, ceiling fans or practically anything is adding value and improving the resale value. While it's good to 'get' something in return sometimes we need to look at the bigger picture.
    We have all been into run down rentals which have had no love for 25 years, tenants treat them the same.

Johnny Cashflow likes this.
  4. Beelzebub

Beelzebub Well-Known Member

You need them in Vic, unless you want flies everywhere.

Cactus likes this.
  5. Phillip

Phillip New Member

60 year old Queenslander?? I grew up in a chamfer board highset at Holland Park West that was built in '58. Way after the old Queenslanders. Anyway, it had the old casement windows, some homes of that time had hoppers or the odd double hung.

Sounds like you got a pretty good deal on the screens as they would have to be installed in separate frames on the inside if it still has original windows as casements open outward. Also, I thought it would have had screens already considering we're in Brisbane, mossie and fly central in summer. If they are good tenants, you could be a good landlord. Or risk losing them and maybe getting a worse tenant to match the "greedy jerk landlord" :).

6. Chris Au

Chris Au Well-Known Member

I agree here, but if you need to increase the rent earlier and link it to the flyscreens, I also think it's how it is presented to the tenants. If you explain (something along the lines of) while you understand that the flyscreens will make living in the house more comfortable, the flyscreens cost $x and that some of this needs to be offset through a slight rent increase, this may be taken more favourably by the tenants. I provided an explanation along these lines to my PM to pass on to the tenants for an improvement, and I managed a small rent increase.

Cactus likes this.
  7. Shazi

Shazi Active Member

Renters market at the moment so would be cautious increasing rent however with such high rent I would provide the screen they want and leave the rent as is till renewal .

8. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Not necessarily:

If you are adding value and you don't increase rent then you are reducing yield.

If it's the type of property that appeals to investors then they will be buying on yield. So they may not value the improvements.

9. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Each to their own of course, but to me this relationship only makes it harder to increase the rent on them, or be unemotional to their life circumstances that may prevent them paying rent at some point.

I'm not saying be a slumlord, keep your property in great Nic cause it is an investment.

However it is also a business not a charity or a way to make new friends. Got to remember the end game.

I'm not against charities, I make regular donations.

10. Dmarkw

Dmarkw Well-Known Member

Fly screens are not exactly what you'd be focusing on in an inspection - easy to overlook in the 10 mins you often have to inspect along with 10 other couples. They're a necessity in Brisbane, and tenants will just expect they are there.

They probably didn't notice before signing the lease, just like you..

11. HUGH72

HUGH72 Well-Known Member

Possibly, but it's a fine line, do nothing to a place for 20 years and you can be left with a run down shell of a house.
    Run down unloved places don't command premium rent.

12. DaveM

DaveM Well-Known Member

OK let me clarify.... if you want to increase rent in future due to fly screens then go for it... I just would not do it at installation time, seems a little petty.
    I keep my portfolio well maintained and at market rent. If that coincides with rent review fine, if not it can wait till next review.

THX and Chris Au like this.
  13. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I understand your point and can understand why you think that way, but it is not how we operate. We still increase the rent at renewal if the market will take it. We are not in this game to make new friends. But our tenant is now our painter and we have become friends. We still increase the rent if prices have risen.

To be honest, rents are so flat now they the current rents are a bit higher than what we would get now so we have not increased this time for any of them.

This is particularly important for two houses that we are waiting on a DA for. We don't want to lose the tenants and try to rent a house that is going to be developed so even if we could raise the rent (not feasible in the current flat market) we wouldn't.

Our tenants have been kept informed every step of the way and want to stay as long as possible.

THX and Cactus like this.
  14. Cactus

Cactus Well-Known Member

Sounds like you have a good balance. Well done to you. I can see in many cases this wouldn't work long term. But development sites certainly require an element of clear communication so everyone wins.

15. enelpee

enelpee New Member

I'm moving into a rental that has no flyscreens, apparently landlords have been asked in the past and said no. This is really stingy in my opinion, as they are likely to increase the rent regardless - If I'm willing to pay to install cheap flyscreens myself, do I reserve the right to remove them when I leave? Don't plan on staying long term if this is already the attitude...one of the cheapest basic necessities that a landlord should not have an issue with if they want to have happy tenants. Edit. already offered them $5 extra pw to secure the property in the first place which apparently they were very happy with.

16. Paul@PAS

Paul@PAS Tax, Accounting + SMSF + All things Property Tax Business Plus Member

I would think flyscreens to windows are as expected as a front door. That said there are tight arse LLs who expect to give and do nothing except to receive higher and higher rent. I would look at flyscreens like maintenance. It doesnt just fix damage. It can enhance the place. If you dont want to provide flyscreens they dont expect me as a tenant to do anything beyond what a lease says either. I will wait until Sunday to do a electrical outgage call out. And ask why the smoke alarm chirps

Coffee likes this.
  17. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Agreed.
    Welcome to the forum, nice work using the search function

Tom Rivera likes this.
  18. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

No flyscreens, then there's a reason not to open the windows.

19. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Those double hung windows are painted shut anyway :p

Michael Mitchell likes this.
  20. Tom Rivera

Tom Rivera Property Manager Business Member

Out of curiosity @enelpee, do you have standard sliding windows- or something like timber casements?

Flyscreens on a standard sliding window are cheap as- you can do a whole house for $1k or so (depending on size of course). If you've got a different opening mechanism that can make it quite a bit more difficult and expensive, so Landlords are often reticent to add the feature.