What’s 10 minutes worth?

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by albanga, 30th Jul, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. albanga

albanga Well-Known Member

I think childcare/schooling is just one of those things I know about but haven’t actually put much research into. However Reading people’s posts and speaking to friends/family should probably be top of our list of actually considering moving.

As for work then it’s very flexible. My boss has already confirmed I can work from home one day per week when baby is born. I can choose my times, but I have always preferred to go early and get home early.

So more reasons to stay put :)

2. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

A second car is essentially $100 (or more) per week. This is definately worth adding to your pros/cons list.

3. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

Not moving 10 minutes further away for us is not an option, everything comparable within 10-15 minute drive is $$$ more expensive on a $/m2 basis. We'd be giving up location for land size (to move slightly closer to town) or getting a much worse house.

You don't use and kids won't use a yard but access to a park (even an inner-city pocket park) is better than none. Small parks don't generate the traffic problems that larger parks attract (for organised sports).

Walkable distance to the primary school and access to transport are important drivers. Preschool or childcare closer to work not home - if kids get sick you want to get there sooner rather than later, pick up time also has to factor in that you need to leave work with peak hour traffic (or not if it is close to work).

4. WattleIdo

WattleIdo midas touch

Answered your own question.
    Congratulations to you and all the new dads.

5. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

Having a yard, even a small one, removes the need to walk or drive kids to a park so often.

Being able to cook dinner while your kids are in your own yard sure beats sitting in a park for a few hours every few days when they want to kick a ball.

With two sons who played soccer, our small front yard got heaps of use. It is only the size of a three car garage, but is grassed, and we have high block fences on two sides. Hubby strung a net on the other side fence to stop the ball going into the neighbour's yard.

Our sons and their friends would kick a ball to each other, and if alone, kick it against the fence. I'd say it saved me hundreds of hours sitting at a park.

wilso8948, TAJ, Redom and 1 other person like this.
  6. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

Simply not true.

Kids DO need outdoor space to run, kick a ball, dig in the dirt and generally make a mess. On hot days there is nothing they will like better than playing under the hose (water restrictions excepted), or simply filling a bucket with water and playing with different sized containers and funnels from the kitchen.

Add a sandpit, pitch a small tent, make a vege garden, keep a guinea pig.... the list is endless.
    Marg

craigc, wylie, TAJ and 2 others like this.
  7. Redom

Redom Mortgage Broker Business Plus Member

This thread is awesome, so much learning & insights (especially the soccer field idea!). My sincerest congrats to all the new dads @euro73, @Sackie, @albanga.

wilso8948, Sackie and euro73 like this.
  8. TAJ

TAJ Well-Known Member

Being a parent of 3 and a grandparent of 2, I can attest to the invaluable asset having a secure yard for kids to play, develop and learn in. I have many fond memories of barbecues with both family and friends, footy games, shooting hoops, cricket matches happening in the backyard. Things you simply cannot do if you are limited for outdoor " Space".
    This proved true up until the kids reached their late teens and moved onto their own academic and sporting pursuits; which eventually led them away from home. So, having a relatively large 4 bedroom home with the kids now gone seemed impractical to me and hence I decided to downsize. This not only freed up capital but also gave me more time to pursue my own interests.
    Today, I reside in a villa with a small land component and wouldn't have it any other way. Very little in the way of maintenance issues and lawn upkeep.
    The grand kids now have their own backyards to play in and when they visit me it is off to the beach. Best of both worlds I guess.
    Thanks albanga for the thought provoking thread and all the best with the new arrival!

Redom likes this.
  9. wilso8948

wilso8948 Well-Known Member

Any yard is a godsend. Let's be real. We've all kicked them outside and shut the door just to experience 5 minutes of peace and serenity.. My poor neighbors.