What YouTube recording software do you use?

Discussion in 'Starting & Running a Business' started by Lizzie, 7th Aug, 2021.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

Very early stages on a new project and wanting to start some YouTube videos - whether one gets a single view is another matter but I'm not into this for any money.

For starters I'll be using very basic equipment - a laptop, a microphone if required for audio quality, recording software, a tidy background and my charming nature - so I'm curious as to what recording program people have found works for them best, remembering that I'm not particularly technical.

Any other tips would be useful. My main hindrance atm is a house full of Work From Home'rs and hence finding a quiet corner

2. bonchovies

bonchovies Well-Known Member

What will your videos be on? (Can't help with the technical equipment)

3. standtall

standtall Well-Known Member

Your main challenge would be editing. For recording, an iPhone is more than enough unless you are doing action videos or want drone shots. If you are going to do a lot of indoor videos fronting the camera, it’s best to invest in one of those ring LED lights from Aliexpress.

Lizzie likes this.
  4. arj48

arj48 Member

I have heard good things about OBS Studio, it’s free and open source

Open Broadcaster Software | OBS

5. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

After testing my laptop camera today - and with some of the in shot angle adjustments I'll need - think I'll be investing in a quality plug-in webcam.

Nothing fancy - just seated and recording

6. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

... and no naked person wandering around behind, like happened to a commentator (reporter?) in the US, and which his wife happened to see along with the rest of the country? :D

Lizzie likes this.
  7. Lizzie

Lizzie Well-Known Member

That's the tricky bit - three working from home and one who has no concept of "be quiet and stay away I'm trying to record here!"

When recording a dummy interview for an online TAFE course - being fully warned of what I would be doing at that time - he apparently "forgot" and sauntered past, in the living room background, with his hi-viz shirt unbutton (had been working in the yard) ... was not a pretty sight! o_O

wylie likes this.