What you drive and what your tenant drives?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by legallyblonde, 6th Jul, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. wombat777

wombat777 Well-Known Member

I drive a 2014 Land Rover Defender 110. Love a torquey Diesel engine combined with a manual. It's on a Novated Lease. It's a keeper as this year is the end of the production line for this classic vehicle. Keeping it stock-standard to retain resale value among enthusiasts. Plan is to pay out the residual in about 2 years and put the extra income towards another IP. My fifth Land Rover, although wishing I put more money towards IPs when I was younger.

I hope my first tenant can afford a car and to pay the rent. First prospective tenant looks at the property tomorrow.

2. 158

158 Well-Known Member

You are assuming all tenants are wanting to buy houses and assuming is a very dangerous trait, especially in property.

pinkboy

3. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

I spoke to the Boss - he said; In terms of priority spending at this point in time - waaaaaaaaaaay down the list. :)

Last edited: 8th Jul, 2015
  4. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Bayview, are you sure your company vehicle is the right look that the business needs just now? I don't know that I would go to a mechanic whose car has a whiny diff and needs a new exhaust. Just sayin'

5. Bayview

Bayview Well-Known Member

Couldn't agree more.

Fortunately, this vehicle travels mostly from my house to work - 1km and sits out on the foreshore road with an advertising sign up on the roof for most of the week, so most folks never hear it. The car itself looks fine.

But it's an ironic twist of human mentality - if you drive too good a car; people resent you for it; think you are doing too well, and worse; have ripped them off to get to your level of success...

Irrespective of all this; I have absolutely no hope of affording another car right now anyway.

We looked at trading-in our Kluger just recently in the hope of getting more back than is owed, pay a few bills, and scaling down to a cheaper version of a similar car to decrease payments, but the trade-in value was not much chop.

Will keep that car for the foreseeable future - loan ends next April, so a few more pesos back in the pocket.

Last edited: 12th Jul, 2015
  6. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

Thanks for the reply Marc. The ute then does pay its way! parked out front all day. All good then.
    Cheers

7. The Y-man

The Y-man Moderator Staff Member

I think our nearly 10 year old Mazda 2 may have worked in our favour parked in front of the agent's new Lexus to push the point home we couldn't afford to raise the offer we had submitted one dollar more.......:)

The Y-man

WattleIdo likes this.
  8. Jamie Moore

Jamie Moore MORTGAGE BROKER - AUSTRALIA WIDE Business Member

I drive a 15 year old Apollo mountain bike with a broken pedal and a faulty front brake. Wouldn't be surprised if all of the tenants are getting around in flashier rides than me.

9. sanj

sanj Well-Known Member Premium Member

I've got a friend whose uncle is a pathetic tightwad. Refuses to help his father out who is old and on the pension, when he looked after his kids after nd nephews etc back in the day he would make them drink out of a tap at a servo if thirsty. One burger at Maccas per kid no sides or sauces etc.

I think he owns 50 paid off homes. A grade idiot

10. Aaronjod

Aaronjod Well-Known Member

@legallyblonde Is it possible the horse in your DP costs more then your tenants car? Just a thought.. I know nothing about horse prices though...

11. legallyblonde

legallyblonde Well-Known Member

Hehe I have only owned one horse (once upon a time)... She was $800... and did not look like him <

< His owner turned down a 40k offer for him once upon a time. Kudos on spotting a quality animal!