What would you rather

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by Big Will, 30th Oct, 2015.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

Your Choice

1. 1 Cent per day

2. $5 million

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. Gockie

Gockie Life is good ☺️ Premium Member

I think a lot of people have missed the big picture... its a story about the time value of money, starting early, and compounding...

How many future apples can come from a single apple? Potentially innumerable. You gotta start with a seed though.

Big Will and Xenia like this.
  2. dabbler

dabbler Well-Known Member

I would take the five, you could die, be incapacitated or other + can put to use straight away.

Also, if you read the proposal, you may only be giving 1c and then doubling that every day, or 1c first day and 2c every day after.....lol

or if going by poll wording a total of 30c as Gockie says

WattleIdo likes this.
  3. RM1827

RM1827 Well-Known Member

I voted 5M before reading the post...the doubling should be included in the question:confused:

MTR likes this.
  4. Ted Varrick

Ted Varrick Well-Known Member

Given 1c is no longer legal tender, um, shouldn't it be rounded down to zero?
    ;)

5. Omnidragon

Omnidragon Well-Known Member

Chose $5m. Not sure what this 1c doubling is about?

6. Big Will

Big Will Well-Known Member

If that is the case, can you organize everyone who has 1,2,3,4,6,7,8 or 9 cents in their account to send it to me. ;)

Ted Varrick and Dan Donoghue like this.
  7. Big Will

Didn't say 1 month said 30 days ;)

joel likes this.
  8. juzzy

juzzy Well-Known Member

So what's the final number?

I thought it was $0.01 on day 1, doubled for 30 days. So on day 30 you get given
    $ 5,368,709.12, in addition to the $ 5,368,709.12 you made from the previous 29 days. So $ 10,737,418.24 all up.

Or am I missing something?

9. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

from the original post
    oops... :oops:

I don't even understand the question. to receive a cent and I doubled the cent every day for 30 days

Does that mean on Day 1 you give us 2 cents and on Day 2 you give us 4 cents or does it mean you give us one cent and on Day 1 it doubles and on Day 2 it doubles again. In the first scenario, by Day 3 we would have 15 cents. In the second scenario, by Day 3 we would have 8 cents.

Either way, the doubling one sounds good to me! :D

10. Big Will

Use the full quote next time it was "Scenario - If you were given a choice to receive five million dollars in one month or a cent and I doubled it every day for 30 days which one would you choose?"

The cent doubling was over 30 days, you didn't read the question...

Also the 5M will come to you in one month (that could be 28 days)

11. Perthguy

Perthguy Well-Known Member

I didn't use the full quote because I was highlighting the part that was ambigious to me. I still find the question ambigous. If you read the question strictly, in scenario 2, you give us a cent. That's it. Not a very good deal. The question says that you double it every day for 30 days but it never says that you give the doubled funds to us. You could keep them for yourself! ;) See what I mean? It's ambigous buddy! :)

I said "does it mean you give us one cent and on Day 1 it doubles and on Day 2 it doubles again". Pretty sure I did read the question. No need to crack a sad because I wanted it clarified :p

Maybe next time make your question less ambigous... :p

Just to clarify again, because I still don't get it. In the original question, before day one you recieve a cent. Do you mean in scenario 2, the person does not recieve any money until after 30 days? In that case, the question should read like this;

Scenario - If you were given a choice to receive five million dollars in one month's time or recieve one cent that had been doubled every day for 30 days which one would you choose?
    or if you mean the person gets one cent on day zero and then it gets doubled every 30 days, it should read like this:

Scenario - If you were given a choice to receive five million dollars in one month's time or recieve one cent that doubles every day for 30 days which one would you choose?​