What would you plant outside this window to increase privacy?

Discussion in 'Landscaping' started by astonma, 19th Sep, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. astonma

astonma Well-Known Member

There is a double story townhouse being built nextdoor so wanting to plant something outside a few windows along the boundary fence, what tall and kind of skinny planting would you recommend? Fairly fast growing too , i've had lillypillys recommended to me

[​IMG] upload_2018-9-19_13-15-18.png

2. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

Which way is the window facing please? Full shade? Morning / afternoon sun?

astonma likes this.
  3. astonma

The window faces West . At the moment that side still gets some sun but not sure once the house nextdoor is complete. The blinds are almost always down on this side of the living area as windows facing north provide good light into the kitchen/living area so if we planted something that blocked light getting in a bit then that wouldn't be disastrous

4. Propertunity

Propertunity Well-Known Member

lilly pillys are OK - they grow reasonably fast in sun or shade & roots are not invasive. However, they are not my personal favourite because they get attacked by psyllid which is a tiny sap sucking insect which bites the young leaves. The plant responds to the insect by producing unattractive “pimples” on the leaf surface. Also in a hedge you get the occasional non-performer which either won't grow as fast as the others and / or dies. We've all seen hedges like that.

I am having great success with Tiger Grass at the present time which has grown 3 metres in 18 months - although Sydney has a warmer climate than Melbourne, so not sure how it would go for you. Maybe a cool climate bamboo? (expensive).

5. TapTap

TapTap Well-Known Member

Tiger grass or bamboo (a shorter clumping variety like Nepalese blue). Hardy, fast growing but not as formal as other slow growing options)

astonma likes this.
  6. Joynz

Joynz Well-Known Member

Clumping bamboo. Gracillis Slender Weaver is quite narrow and grows quite tall. It is also ideal for the Melbourne climate.

There is a grower in suburban Melbourne with 2m pots for about $45 - where I bought mine from. Ideally plant in a bed 1.2 m deep, at least 55cm from the fence. Takes a couple of years to get good blocking and plant at 80cm centers for a faster screen.

The great thing is you can just cut the culms the the height you like. The new growth on mine is up to 4.5 metres high and the new culms will get a bit taller each year.

Not good near a pool because they do create a bit of leaf litter.

astonma likes this.
  7. astonma

What is the place in Melbourne called @Joynz ?

8. hillsguy

hillsguy Well-Known Member

Agree - clumped bamboo. Be careful as it does get a little messy with leaves falling !

9. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd so something about the concrete before planting anything - don't know too many plants which can growth through/next to a slab without causing damage.

10. Marg4000

Marg4000 Well-Known Member

When our son bought his house in Melbourne it had a high, narrow row of trees down the fence line. He was told they were pittosporums and could be easily pruned into a hedge if wanted.

They grew really quickly and were about 4-5m high but only spread about 40-60cm.
    Marg

Property Investors! Ready to Pay Less Tax? Estimate how much Property Depreciation you can claim on your Investment Property. Washington Brown's calculator is the first calculator to draw on real properties to determine an accurate estimate.