What would you do with this bathroom in Kallangur highset?

Discussion in 'Renovation & Home Improvement' started by Northboy, 8th Mar, 2017.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Northboy

Northboy Well-Known Member

I just bought a 3 bed 1 bath 2 car brick-pier base/weatherboard upper level highset in Kallangur. The property is in good condition with fairly new kitchen, painted, fans, AC, and just polished floorboards. It has 2 car automatic garage underneath with open storage space that offers future potential for conversion. The only thing that needs fixing before tenants move in is the terrible bathroom.

My buyer's agent is organising a quote with options for bathroom reno. It's looking like it will be either a basic cosmetic reno (new vanity an absolute must), replacing cracked tiles, maybe spraying tiles and resurfacing bath? Or a full reno replacing all and even potentially creating separate bath and shower. As someone who has never renovated anything before, I'd love to hear what you think I could or should do based on the limited pics below. Thanks a lot!

IMG_3768.jpg IMG_3755.jpg IMG_3765.jpg IMG_3766.jpg IMG_3766.jpg IMG_3778.jpg IMG_3779.jpg IMG_3782.jpg IMG_3784.jpg IMG_3785.jpg

Last edited: 8th Mar, 2017
  2. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

For me (a tightwad) this looks like a full reno. remove and replace all tiles (check that the bathroom is still waterproof), new vanity, new tub and new fittings.

That bathroom looks pretty small, I don't think I'd try and create a separate tub/shower

Northboy likes this.
  3. Northboy

Thanks! And do you have an approximate idea of how much that would (should) cost? Lots of variables, I know.

4. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

If it was me, I'd just do a small cosmetic reno and get tenants in.

Paint wall tiles with the Rustoleum stuff...paint walls and ceiling. New vanity and tapset and get rid of the shower curtain and put in a half length hinged shower screen from bunnings.
    Maybe $700 all up f you did the work yourself

Northboy likes this.
  5. Northboy

Thanks for that - definitely not doing the work myself. I don't know the first thing about anything handy/reno related and am mildly incompetent.

6. Shady

Shady Well-Known Member

LOL...Righto then.
    Probably add on $1000-$1200 for a handyman to do the work then.

Northboy likes this.
  7. WestOz

WestOz Well-Known Member

I could give "tightwad" suggestions also, but with those cracks in the tiles and minimal DIY, for a nice looking place like that I agree with @Phase2.

If it was for PPOR I'd put up with it for a while, but for prospective tenants viewing the bathroom really lets it down.

Phase2 likes this.
  8. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Hang on.. Are the tiles cracked near the soap dish? Or is that someone's hair stuck to the tiles?

I presumed cracked, thus re-tile, therefore full reno.. If they aren't cracked just get them professionally cleaned, and re-grouted if necessary. Then do the vanity replacement and paint.

Full reno guestimate
    Materials
    $400- vanity
    $100- paint
    $300- New tiles
    $300- tub and frame
    $300- tapware
    $150- light, switch and exhaust fan
    $100- bits and pieces
    $1,650 - Sub Total

Labour
    $750 - demolition and disposal
    $500 - tiling
    $250 - waterproofing
    $500 - plumbing disconnect and reconnect (assume same connections)
    $200 - electrical
    $500 - surface prep and paint
    $500 - small job allowance
    $3,200 - Sub Total

$4850 - Total give or take 30%

So my guess would be around $5-6k, but that's mainly because it looks like a very small bathroom, and I'm assuming the materials will be from the low end.

If tiles are OK, then:
    $300 - cleaning tiles and tub
    $300 - regrouting allowance
    $400 - new vanity
    $600 - painting
    $800 - plumbing and tapware
    $100 - bits and pieces
    $2,500 - Total

They're my guesstimates.. best thing to do is get some quotes.

Northboy likes this.
  9. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

@Phase2 those estimates seem very low. We had a bathroom renovation quoted up at about $29k which included new plasterboard and all work done with mid range spec.

The same job DIY would have cost us $11k for the same spec. This was for separate shower and bath, toilet, basin, 3 x 2m room.

I couldn't imagine a whole bathroom could be done including labour for under $5k. The prices just seem undercooked.

10. Phase2

Phase2 Well-Known Member

Oh yeah.. Sheeted walls.. I guess tiles and glue makes a mess of them.. Demo of old and install of new walls will add $.

You might be right, I might have under cooked it.

To be fair though, that bathroom looks like it would struggle to be bigger than 1400 x 1800. Total tiling should be around 6sq'm at $100-130 supply and installed. There's no toilet, and it's a shower over bath setup.

11. Northboy

Here's what I ended up doing doing with the bathroom. The handyman associated with my buyer's agent / PM bought and installed everything and sub-contracted to a tiler. Just replaced the vanity and re-tiled walls only plus new fixtures and fittings. Electrician also installed a new power outlet next to the vanity on the handyman's recommendation, as previously there wasn't one (!).The lower part of the walls had to be replaced as the old walls fell apart when they ripped the old tiles off. It cost me very little for this work (still waiting on the final invoice, but I'm expecting under $3k).

Ignore the state of the bath - cleaners have yet to go in. Before and after below...

Attached Files:

Last edited: 24th Apr, 2017
  12. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Looks great!

Northboy likes this.
  13. Northboy

Thanks! Yeah I'm very happy with it. The handyman and his tiler are clearly legends for doing a good job so cheaply. I'll update when I get the full final cost. The walls and fixtures will have added a bit.

Magnet likes this.
  14. Magnet

Magnet Well-Known Member

Looking forward to seeing the breakdown. Nice when you can get good job and cheap in the same sentence!

Northboy likes this.
  15. Northboy

So the waterproofing and tiling cost $1290 including materials. The handyman charged $780 for supplying and installing new lower walls after the original walls fell apart when the tiles were ripped off. Then there was the supply and installation of the new vanity and various new fixtures and fittings, which looks to have come in at under $2000 (individual items aren't separated out in this particular quote).

Not bad for a neat little bathroom reno, right? I ended up spending more on various bits and pieces that needed fixing around the house and new balustrades to bring the front and back stairs up to code. I thought the bathroom would have been the most exy.