What would you do with $50m powerball win

Discussion in 'Investment Strategy' started by Beano, 28th Sep, 2019.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
?

What would do with a powerball win

1. Buy 100 properties in Ipswich

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Buy one property in Sydney

4 vote(s)
    12.9%
  3. Give a miliion to the first 50 PC who send you a Personal Message

2 vote(s)
    6.5%
  4. Not do anything ...just leave it in the bank and do what you always have

3 vote(s)
    9.7%
  5. Something else

25 vote(s)
    80.6%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Beano

Beano Well-Known Member

2. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

I'd be distraught - losing the pension after all those years, having to move out of the neighbourhood & the government house that I'd spent all my adult life.

All on black 8 at the roulette table :rolleyes:

Never giveup and datto like this.
  3. spludgey

spludgey Well-Known Member

Surely the median price in Ipswich isn't anywhere near $500k?

I'd buy property in maybe four different geographically diverse non-corrupt countries.

4. datto

datto Well-Known Member

I'd buy a portion of Luxford Rd at Mt Druitt (portions either side of the police station) and introduce tolls on those sections lol.

Gen-Y, Phar Lap, Codie and 3 others like this.
  5. Angel

Angel Well-Known Member

For one high on the hill and free of termites, she'd be pushing a tad over $500k.

Attached Files:

6. Scott No Mates

Scott No Mates Well-Known Member

That'd keep the blighters away, definitely no one wanting to dodge the toll to get to the parole officer.

Archaon and datto like this.
  7. AndyPandy

AndyPandy Well-Known Member

I would invest 10m in indexed funds,
    Buy a PPOR worth 10m,

Donate 10m in the form ETFs so that my selected charities have a stream of income. I would make sure that a third of the dividends are re-invested.

I'd spend 20m to start a NFP power company that uses solar, wind and other clean sources of energy. Instead of having people pay electricity bills, I'd have them buy shares instead. Funds raised though issue of shares would be used to produce batteries and solar panels, which will be placed on the shareholder's roofs. People whose jobs are made redundant due to loss of mining jobs would receive shares at a discount and would be employed in manufacture of panels and batteries. People would also benefit from not having to pay electricity bills, hence increased purchasing power. Any excess funds would be further invested in green technology research.

$50m might not be enough for all this.

BPhil, lixas4, charttv and 1 other person like this.
  8. Archaon

Archaon Well-Known Member

good luck with that.

I'd sort out my parents and immediate family finances for life via trusts with dividend incomes.

Quit.

Start Company and invest enough into ETF's and LIC's to get a good base income coming in to borrow money.

Use other funds to do developments, as it's my passion, sell properties/land to through the business.

Regards,

9. ShireBoy

ShireBoy Well-Known Member

Buy a playground for our local school, which doesn't have anything. Just astro turf in one area. Not even monkey bars :/

Buy two brand new mini-buses for the kids' current school (special needs pickup and drop offs).

Buy a house under my name, but lease it out rent free for a local struggling family.

Then the rest can be spent on CF+ properties. Is NRAS still a thing? :p

10. George Smiley

George Smiley Well-Known Member

Invest in property and also ETF's. Then start studying to invest actively in shares (satellite and core approach). Donate sizable amounts to animal and environmental charities off the income streams.

11. hammer

hammer Well-Known Member

Pay house off, pay my parents and sisters houses off then shove the rest into ETFS and travel. Permanently.

Gockie likes this.
  12. Cousinit

Cousinit Well-Known Member

I would be investing some time looking at Industrial grade property near airports and such as well as quality farm land in Southern Australia. I wouldn't donate to charity initially but instead factor in a legacy after I'm gone.

Apart from all that I'd carry on with what I was doing previously.

13. Sackie

Sackie Well-Known Member

I'd buy PC from its owner. Let him sail off into the sunset while I take care of a few dissidents around here. :cool:

BPhil, shorty, Archaon and 2 others like this.
  14. wylie

wylie Moderator Staff Member

I can't imagine how having $50m would help my life.

I'd pay off our debts, kids' mortgages and give $45m to charities.

The problem would be knowing that my winnings were going to actually go to the people that need them, and not in the pockets of corrupt politicians.

15. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
    Buy a Sydney waterfront ... or at least a Sydney Harbour view - depending on how hardcore you went, that could be as little as 8-10 million or the whole 50 million. I think 12-15 Million should buy a pretty nice home with cracking views, though to be fair, I already own a pretty nice home. If I did splurge on something higher end, direct water frontage isnt necessary. Just great views. It would also need to have a large enough garage to enjoy multiple silly cars...

Maybe buy a 3 bed London apartment in a security controlled building so we had a base to travel Europe whenever we want , and didn't have to worry about leaving items there and being robbed/broken into.

Maybe buy a 3 bed Chicago or New York apartment /condominium for the same reason....

Maybe buy a Bali villa...

Maybe buy something in Hawaii ....

I say maybe for all the o/seas boltholes because the reality is that it would be less expensive to pay for 5 star hotels than outlaying millions for properties you may only use a few weeks per year ...BUT the advantages to owning something are the privacy , freedom to set it up as a home , and being able to make it available to friends and family . You cant really get those things with hotel rooms. :)

Pay off all my families and close friends mortgages of course... pay off my own portfolio. I'd want to keep it - just because it's what I worked so hard for. Then invest the rest (which would probably be @ 25-30 Million if I actually bought the properties outlined above )

Before doing anything though, I'd seek out the very best legal advice and financial advice and taxation advice on setting up some form of trust to protect the money and the future of my kids and grand kids. I'd want the structure to provide complete protections against ex partners /spouses of my children, grandchildren etc having any claim to the assets or income...

Travel as much as possible ... although this isn’t quite so straightforward with a 7 month old ... or with dogs :)

Last edited: 29th Sep, 2019
  16. Stoffo

Stoffo Well-Known Member

Too many choices.......
    One of which would be to invest the lot, using the income stream to help Elon get me off this rock (and away from the opinionated crazies:p)

Archaon likes this.
  17. Codie

Codie Well-Known Member

I’d spend $10m.
    Nice home & a few cars, GTR, a couple AMGs, Range Rover, 57 chev, AC cobra, and an RT charger.

Put $20m into property & $20m into the asx

Let’s say that yields 4% net. $31k a week.

I’d pick 15 of my family & friends to pay $1k a week forever. And then live on the other $16k a week & actively give it away as it builds up.

18. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

PNG image.png You could buy this one in Melbourne. Asking $45m. Been on the market for some time, probably overpriced.

19. euro73

euro73 Well-Known Member Business Member

The beautiful Hills District, Sydney Australia
  20. Harry30

Harry30 Well-Known Member

Price Accounting provide investor + developer tax services world and Australia wide for your property and all tax issues. Contact Paul@PFI below for our new client pack and quoted pricing + client portal access. Trusts, Co and SMSF are our specialty.