What would you do if you lost it all?

Discussion in 'Investor Psychology & Mindset' started by TMNT, 11th Oct, 2018.

Join Australia's most dynamic and respected property investment community
  1. Car tart

Car tart Well-Known Member

When I got divorced my ex wanted her share in Cash (8 figures) and the remainder in income producing property.
    She bought a house on a golf course with 8 car garage and indoor 20M swimming pool then a 6 berth brand new yacht.

2. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

I would find myself a rich sugar mummy ... :eek:

and do it quickly :D

Sackie and Terry_w like this.
  3. TMNT

TMNT Well-Known Member

You haven't seen how ugly I am! :)

kierank likes this.
  4. kierank

kierank Well-Known Member

Are you any worse than the rich sugar Daddies? :eek:

Terry_w likes this.
  5. truong

truong Well-Known Member

Depends on the individual I guess.

Twice I lost it all, the first time when a government took our house and deported us to a labour camp, the second time in Australia when our business went under due to a customer defaulting.

The excruciating part of it wasn’t the loss itself but what happened before: the dread of loss, the frantic struggles to avoid it and the endless doubts. Once it happened there was no more resistance and I felt surprisingly serene. There's no choice left other than to pick yourself up and find a way to protect your family, which motivates you enough to find whatever strength you need.

Then you realise that your possessions aren’t you. They’re gone but you’re still the same person. Your kids and your dog still love you all the same and your capacity to feel joy is still complete. If there’s no anger or blame, the closure of one life phase opens up a new one for you and you feel almost relieved – battered but relieved.

I was lucky that it happened to me when I was relatively young. If it happened now while in retirement my only option would be to go back to work. I could well be poor for the rest of my life but that’s fine, I know what that means and my needs would be very few.

wylie, hammer, HomePage and 14 others like this.